Changing gear on a Triban 3

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by phillc, 5 Aug 2012.

1. phillc

phillc Well-Known Member

Sorry about the stupid question, l have just bought the above bike, have not ridden one for years. have not got a clue how the gear change works. Went out on it this morning pressed the little levers on the brake levers gently down expecting the gears to changed and nothing happened. Before I phone decathlon and make a fool of myself am I missing something I should be doing. I would be grateful for quick replies as I need to contact them if somethings wrong.

Happy Cycling
    Phill

2. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Press the brake lever inwards to change up, and if it's lower end Shimano STI there is a lever on the inside of the brake hood to change down. You do need to be pedalling for the gears to change.

3. OP
    OP
    phillc

phillc Well-Known Member

fossyant a big thank you for stopping me making a fool of myself, it works just like you said.

happy cycling
    phill

Norm likes this.
  4. fossyant

5. OP
    OP
    phillc

phillc Well-Known Member

Throw a anchor off the back and hope for the best Uncle Mort.

Happy and Safe cycling
    phill

6. defy-one

defy-one Guest

Don't listen to them about braking. If you push the little button on the top of the headset, the parachute will deploy and speed will decrease :-)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344204957.257557.jpg

Alex11, jazloc and Biglad82 like this.
  7. NeonXIII

NeonXIII Regular

Hi, total newb here so forgive me but I still don't quite understand how to change gears on my Triban 3.
    I assumed it was the little thing sticking out on the left but that's not working x_x

[​IMG]

8. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

See reply number 2 above from Fossyant.

9. NeonXIII

NeonXIII Regular

Hahaha! I'm ashamed to admit that I took pressing the brake lever inwards as simply squeezing the brake lever... Which of course just caused me to slow down...

I've figured it out now though, thanks!

10. Don't worry, took my husband 3 days for me to tell him how to change gear...:laugh: and it wasn't even my bike... not that obvious to those not in the know...

11. fossyant

Bring back down tube shifters. :thumbsup:

Edwards80 likes this.
  12. LosingFocus

LosingFocus Lost it, got it again.

I had the same thing when I picked up my roadie. Looking back, me and the father-in-law standing in the garden pressing random bits trying to get the gears to move was hilarious.

BrumJim likes this.
  13. Robxxx7

Robxxx7 Senior Member

been there and done that myself ..... :laugh:

14. BrumJim

BrumJim Poster

I was stood in the bike shop looking clueless, trying to understand the instruction "Push the levers in".

15. Frankieabbott

Frankieabbott Regular

Bit af a shock but now that I have my specs on I see that the topic heading was 'Changing gear on a Triban 3', and not 'Taking gear on a Triban 3' !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice