Changing habits of cycling through winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Surely a Carbon frame will be less affected by salt and muck than a metal frame.

The carbon ones shrink faster.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I commute year round so that bit doesn't change. The Boardman CX has mudguards so stays quite clean. The 2 carbon bikes get used through the winter when it's dry, if I know it's going to be wet the Trek 1.2 comes out, simply because it has mudguards fitted.
I do less miles in the winter, which is odd since I enjoy cycling in the dark.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have bike for summer and one for winter the only real difference is about 1.5kg and the winter one has disc brakes and mudguards. I wash, degrease, wax and lube once a week on a Sunday barely ever miss doing it. Goes untouched during the week. Seems to work as they both look like new, only not on a Friday..

Slick

Guru
My bikes worth next to nothing compared to some of the good members bikes here but it's the same make and model that my belated mother had bought me 33 years back. Ever time I look at it , it brings back fond memories of her.As it's in a perfect immaculate condition it would be such a shame to ruin it with the onslaught of winter grime.
As already said, grime won't damage it, but I now completely understand why you want to take care of it. I would do the same myself.

stumpy66

Veteran
If you get into the habit off giving the bike a quick clean down after you'll b fine.

It takes me less than five mins to give a spray with mucoff, once over with a cloth, rinse and then take a rag to the chain and then apply some oil. Done that for years and bike works perfectly on the next run

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've just been for another 15 mile ride down the lanes again tonight. I saw 2 cars on the whole journey. Pitch black roads with no street lights or traffic lights and Wow was that moon was massive tonight..The bikes now standing up in thick mud as well as me lol. If I would of used my road bike I would of been stuck on the more busier roads and would of not been able to take in my surroundings and enjoy as much ,purely because riding on busy roads in the dark requires more attention to other road users Some of the pot holes down the lanes would of destroyed my fragile road bike wheels and no doubt my false teeth would of shaken lose and ended over the hedge somewhere. So it's definitely bed time for the road bike this winter and out with the mountain bike. I will certainly use my road bike at the weekend in the day light hours but for the dark week day evening rides it's the MTB for me. Thank you all for all the input and advice you have given to me. I really appreciate you all and take you all as good friends as well as fellow cyclists. :-))
Happy cycling all .

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Are they like 1980's jeans that you have to sit in the bath with so they shrink to fit :smile:
they advise that you don't wash them too often.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I have to start getting ready 5 minutes earlier to get the extra kit on to TRY and keep warm ! :laugh:
Use the same bike and the same cleaning and lubing regime throughout Winter , although I have started considering using my old Kona Dew City if its starts getting really bad.
Will be using it shortly when my Boardman goes in for its "silver service" (part of the three year care plan I have) at Halfords .
.................I can hear the boos and hissis from here ! :tongue:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Commuting over the winter using my 12kg winter commuter disc-braked bike with mudguards gives me extra confidence on dark, wet, slippery roads.

Come the spring when I hopped back on the lighter road bike, I suddenly found a crop of Strava PBs coming forth on certain segments.

Keep on enjoying it, and keep whatever you ride clean.

Top Bottom