Changing habits of cycling through winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi to all.
Now that winter is upon us I'm really not enjoying using my road bike at the moment. The bike I've got is quite sentimental to me and the thought of using it on the muddy salt ridden pot holed B roads in the dark really puts me off from using it ,as I really want to keep it looking it's best. The only option I have to keep it clean is to use the busy main roads but I hate cycling amongst traffic on dark winter nights.My cycling miles have dropped quite considerably since the clocks have gone back, and I'm proud of losing one of my four chins, and that my belly doesn't touch the cross bar any more after taking up cycling lol. I can imagine a lot of people who take up cycling during the summer months soon lose interest this time of the year and all that hard work they've put in soon goes to waste as the winter months roll by. In my man cave I almost forgot I had a fairly decent Giant MTB that is just gathering dust. I thought what a perfect solution to my conundrum. A tough MTB with big chunky tyres so that I can cycle through all the cow muck ridden hole holed roads without worry to much about punctures , traffic or getting it absolutely filthy. Agreed it's heavy and cumbersome compared to my road bike but its certainly opened up my options as to where i want to ride in the evening without the worry or aggravations of bad roads and traffic. Tonight I've just completed a 16 mile ride down some filthy lanes and the bike is covered in mud but I must admit I really enjoyed it. So hopefully this new direction in my cycling habits will keep me active during the winter months before I change back to my lovely road bike again in spring. Another strange thing that I cant explain though is that for some reason I feel much more safer on a MTB .Its obviously psychological, but I feel less vulnerable and feel that I'm more visible and that I can react quicker to dangerous situations which s great in helping me to more confidence.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My carbon road bike is also cleaned and put to bed for the winter and I have my Koga World Traveller out for the winter.

It has plenty of luggage space for hot flasks of coffee, sandwiches and extra warm kit. I get to ride my Koga in places my road bike would never get. Having bigger tyres is a comfort in the snow and ice.

IMG_3326_zps6dte687m.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3326_zps6dte687m.jpg
    IMG_3326_zps6dte687m.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 61

Slick

Guru
My habits have changed but only because I'm working away from home in a strange city with no local knowledge. Before the clocks changed, I would get out on a particular run but it's just not worth it in the pitch black. However, I'm looking forward to returning to my normal work pattern in a couple of weeks as I really missed the bike last week. As for putting my good bike away in winter, no chance. I do have a rock hopper mtb, but can't find any redeeming features on it. What's the bike for if you feel you can't use it?

For the first time in my life I'm just riding my road bike through the crap regardless, and then enjoying a half hour of peace in the evening with a bottle of beer on the go, giving it a clean and oil. I'm quite enjoying this aspect.
This was the queue for the wash and lube tonight:

View attachment 151101
You seem to have a little conveyor belt of bikes to clean . Pity you don t live close by :smile:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
My habits have changed but only because I'm working away from home in a strange city with no local knowledge. Before the clocks changed, I would get out on a particular run but it's just not worth it in the pitch black. However, I'm looking forward to returning to my normal work pattern in a couple of weeks as I really missed the bike last week. As for putting my good bike away in winter, no chance. I do have a rock hopper mtb, but can't find any redeeming features on it. What's the bike for if you feel you can't use it?
My bikes worth next to nothing compared to some of the good members bikes here but it's the same make and model that my belated mother had bought me 33 years back. Ever time I look at it , it brings back fond memories of her.As it's in a perfect immaculate condition it would be such a shame to ruin it with the onslaught of winter grime.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
it's in a perfect immaculate condition it would be such a shame to ruin it with the onslaught of winter grime.

My main bike, fair to say cost a fair few pennies. It get's ridden in all weathers and in all conditions. It's over 3 years old and I can honestly say it looks as good now as it did when I first got it. It's just a case of a decent clean after mucky rides.

Mrs M

Guru
I've ridden my roadie (2011 Felt) through all kinds of filth recently :eek: (most recently today)
Really impressed with how "Victoria" has coped, then remembered :dry:
when I was a kid, only had a "racer" and used it as a:-
road bike
cyclocross
mountain bike
hybrid
Just ride whatever, but have FUN :smile:
:bicycle:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
As Ian says, grime won't ruin your bike Johnny; Neglect might, but grime won't, and it sounds like you'll never neglect it so use and enjoy it, and just make sure you give a little more TLC than you might on a dry and hot day.
I do understand where you're coming from, when a bike means a lot to you you'll always be a bit protective and I used to avoid using the good bike previously too. Having said all this, I do still drag my Trek hack out for the dirty tracks, and if an MTB gives you a change of pace, a change of scenery or a bit of fun then more power to you, but don't let silly old weather put off using your pride and joy.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've used my "old" alu bike which is fitted with mudguards for the last couple of road rides, leaving the new carbon hibernating in the kitchen.

In all honesty I can just about run the risk of binning the old bike, but that's not something I even want to think about with the new one. Plus there is no clearance for mudguards on it. ;)

That said, I've also been off roading on the hybrid more lately, which is great fun and a lot muddier...:laugh:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Cycling is my only means of transport so I don't stop cycling over winter, but I do cycle less miles during the darker months.

I will ride my nice bikes on good weather days occasionally in winter, but from now until Spring will be mostly riding one of my singlespeeds, a good weather one and a bad one, which keeps my winter fitness ticking over nicely, despite the reduced miles. And it saves cash strapped me hammering thro expensive Campag parts in crap weather.

I remember Billy Connolly saying there was no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes, I'm the same with bikes, only ice gives me the fear (3 of my 5 offs in 15 years have been caused by black ice). Luckily we don't get much ice in central London, but MTB is ace fun on the snow on the rare occasions we get it.

And for the British, using the weather the justify buying a new bike seems perfectly appropriate^_^

Top Bottom