Changing my car, what should I go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Son's on his third Civic, the first one got written off whilst it was parked, the second one he got rid of last year, it was a 2006 registration with almost as many miles on the clock as the starship Enterprise, it just passed its MOT but would cost too much to get past next years test, he's now got a nice 2013 reg white one.
👍
Daughter's boyfriend has one, I forget what year, but it has 300k miles on it

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
👍
Daughter's boyfriend has one, I forget what year, but it has 300k miles on it

Was that petrol or diesel?

Jameshow

Veteran
It’s a 2011 (October) Fabia Estate Greenline Mk II 1.2 Tdi in white. The Greenline edition was pretty much a fixed spec, with air-con, cruise control, trip computer with consumption and range etc., front electric windows, electrically heated and adjustable mirrors, roof bars and a lower running height to aid aerodynamics/fuel economy. You could add stuff like rear electric windows and floor mats but not anything fancy. Things like heated seats or climate control weren’t options.

Yes, it’s 86,812.

That's knackered mate I'd only give you £750

They go to pieces at 90k trust me ......!😉😉😉

Seriously keep hold of it it's only just run in!

My son wrote of his 20yo 80k polo I and I was really annoyed as it didn't need anything doing to it!

Drago

Legendary Member
Wow, I thought only diesels had that sort of longevity.
Like for like there's little technical reason why a diseasel will have a longer lifespan per se. People trot out stuff about the diesel itself being an upper cylinder lubricant, but when push comes to shove there really is little in it, still a reciprocating engine with metal cylinder in metal tubes.

It's even more pertinent there days in the age of modular engine design when the same basic block might serve both petrol and diesel masters.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Pug 405 diesel went to 303,000, my Proton MPi petrol went to 320,000. Each was running well when moved on, although truth be told the Proton was the tighter and quieter engine at that mileage, even allowing for diesels being inherently noisier anyway.

Jameshow

Veteran
My Pug 405 diesel went to 303,000, my Proton MPi petrol went to 320,000. Each was running well when moved on, although truth be told the Proton was the tighter and quieter engine at that mileage, even allowing for diesels being inherently noisier anyway.

I bet you wished you could kill the proton... 🤣🤣🤣

Drago

Legendary Member
I bet you wished you could kill the proton... 🤣🤣🤣
It was devoid of all interest, but was very well equipped, very well put together, very reliable and decently economical.

It its day a far better car than Dacia are now, but in a way it was out of its time - the less well made and equipped Dacia sells like hot cakes in todays expensive market, whereas back then cars were more affordable to buyers and a base model VW Polo, for example, didn't cost 19 grand like it does today so there was less demand for the budget brands.

The 405 was a better drive, but was the lesser car in every other department.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I’ll confess that there is an element of that. The reason for that is that my car was at the dealer recently for some warranty work and they gave me a courtesy car which was a 72 plate Fabia 1.0 TSI DSG with a retail price of £23,000 and that didn’t even come with cruise control, only a speed limiter. What I really enjoyed was going back to an automatic gearbox. So that got me thinking; how long do I keep my car going for, now that things are starting to go on it?

As I said before, I like value for money and my Fabia was only £11,000 new, via Drive the Deal, when the dealers wanted £14,000 and that came with cruise, air-con, electric windows and alloy wheels as standard.

But you’re right, if I look at it coldly, there’s no reason not to continue running my Fabia until something major goes wrong and, oddly, that’s exactly what the service manager at my dealer said the other week when I took back the courtesy car. The question is, how big a repair bill do I accept before changing it? 50% of its current value? (which is under £2000).

This thread is just speculative, looking towards what I might replace it with when it does become inevitable.

"What I really enjoyed was going back to an automatic gearbox"

Time to change me thinks.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

That’s definitely a consideration. My car is Euro 5 but has a CO2 emission substantially lower than the Euro 6 standard, which is presumably why it’s rated at £0 for VED. I’ve written to the council and they’ve escalated my query to DVLA to see if my car might be exempted from the restriction.

If my application fails then I’ll need to find somewhere else to service it as my dealer is inside the LEZ.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
That’s definitely a consideration. My car is Euro 5 but has a CO2 emission substantially lower than the Euro 6 standard, which is presumably why it’s rated at £0 for VED. I’ve written to the council and they’ve escalated my query to DVLA to see if my car might be exempted from the restriction.

If my application fails then I’ll need to find somewhere else to service it as my dealer is inside the LEZ.
Betcha the dealer will fund it next year. If not they will lose and awful lot of business. You're gold dust to them.

Top Bottom