Changing my car, what should I go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
What do you mean by ‘fund it’?

All they’ve done so far is a mailshot to current customers reminding them of the impending LEZ and suggesting they buy a compliant car (from them, obviously).

That they will cover the cost of you entering the Zone of Doom. It'll be an invoice credit.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That they will cover the cost of you entering the Zone of Doom. It'll be an invoice credit.

I doubt that. Glasgow’s LEZ isn’t like others where you can pay a charge to enter, it’s a complete exclusion of non-compliant vehicles.

For cars, the fine is £60 and that is doubled for each offence of entry, up to a maximum of £480. Once the maximum is reached, each subsequent offence attracts a £480 fine.

This summary is from the BBC:

• The owner of any non-compliant vehicle detected within the low emission zone will initially face a fine of £60.
  • The penalty charge will then double with each subsequent breach, rising to a maximum of £480 for cars and light goods vehicles and £960 for buses and HGVs.
  • Once that figure is reached, the maximum fine will be imposed for each day that the vehicle enters the zone.
  • The rate is reset to £60 if there are no breaches for 90 days.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I doubt that. Glasgow’s LEZ isn’t like others where you can pay a charge to enter, it’s a complete exclusion of non-compliant vehicles.

For cars, the fine is £60 and that is doubled for each offence of entry, up to a maximum of £480. Once the maximum is reached, each subsequent offence attracts a £480 fine.
Ah, hadn't realised. That's going to be a right pain.

icowden

Veteran
even the electric MG 5 Estate, despite its looks.
That one definitely. It's future proof and very cheap to run. It has every bell and whistle you can think of and then some.
You can pick up a second hand one for under £20k. There's one on Autotrader at the moment, 5000 miles and only £15k.

D

Deleted member 26715

It'll be a joy for any residents as asthmatic as my daughter.
It will & it's a great idea, but will it be 100% clear to the unwary, the one that is trying to follow, map, Sat Nav, looking for where they want to go, looking out for pedestrians, cyclists, busses, lorries, taxi's only to find them at a sign where there is no option but to enter or create bedlam trying to turn around, if it is even an option.

It's a bold move & I hope it works, but surely they should have made sure all the busses & taxi's were compliant & not exempt, then they really could have taken the high ground.

D

Deleted member 26715

They really should make all city buses electric, the ones in norway are perfect. There are some really old buses active in scotland
What you mean go back to the old trolley busses, quite bizarrely I thought I still remember seeing them in Sheffield, but they were all gone by the time we moved in '65

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A comment earlier in the thread had me doubting the accuracy of the displayed fuel economy so I did a brim to brim test. Admittedly, I was really trying my best to ensure maximum efficiency just in case the trip computer was way off.

Here is the result:

Displayed mpg: 87.9

Distance: 126 miles (only 14 of which were motorway)
Avg speed: 41mph
Fuel used: 6.69L

Which, by my calculation, equates to 85.7mpg. I’m pretty pleased with that.

I didn’t try so hard on the return route and achieved only 84.1mpg (indicated). I didn’t fill it up again to check.

Top Bottom