Changing my car, what should I go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My current car is a Euro 6 diesel engined Skoda Fabia Estate Greenline II which, although 12 years old, still returns 79mpg door to door on long runs (approx 120 miles). However, I envisage having to sell it within the next 12-18 months (or sooner if something expensive breaks) and I’d like to get advice on my options on what to swap it for.

I’d have happily had another but they have long since dropped the Greenline engine/trim and now discontinued the Fabia estate altogether. I’m thinking I should switch to petrol or even electric but I’m struggling to find a car that will give me similar economy, equipment and space on my budget of @£20,000. I really dislike bloated SUVs and would prefer a normal style estate or large booted saloon.

So far I’ve been looking at Kia Proceed and Stationwagon. These are well-equipped, have a 7 year warranty but aren’t even close to my Fabia in mpg terms. I’ve also been checking out Skoda Scalas or Octavias but these are quite pricey once you spec anything above basic trim. Other options include the Hyundai i30 Tourer, Peugeot 308 estate and even the electric MG 5 Estate, despite its looks.

I’d prefer nearly new over new (and this brings me back to Kia whose approved used cars come with the 7 year warranty reset for the new owner).

My must haves are: 500 litres boot capacity, cruise control, electric windows & mirrors, air-con, ability to comfortably cope with long trips to the rural Highlands in Scottish winters.

Would love: parking sensors, heated seats, automatic gearbox, adaptive cruise control.

I suppose it’s that age-old question of: what gives me most bang for my buck?

Throw abuse or advice as you see fit!

Drago

Legendary Member
Cue 500 members ignoring the brief and recommending their own cars!

Off that list I'd go for the 308 wagon. Not been impressed with the ducking and diving Kia tried when claiming for warranty work on our Sportage when we had it.

toffee

Guru
My current car is a Euro 6 diesel engined Skoda Fabia Estate Greenline II which, although 12 years old, still returns 79mpg door to door on long runs (approx 120 miles). However, I envisage having to sell it within the next 12-18 months (or sooner if something expensive breaks) and I’d like to get advice on my options on what to swap it for.

I’d have happily had another but they have long since dropped the Greenline engine/trim and now discontinued the Fabia estate altogether. I’m thinking I should switch to petrol or even electric but I’m struggling to find a car that will give me similar economy, equipment and space on my budget of @£20,000. I really dislike bloated SUVs and would prefer a normal style estate or large booted saloon.

So far I’ve been looking at Kia Proceed and Stationwagon. These are well-equipped, have a 7 year warranty but aren’t even close to my Fabia in mpg terms. I’ve also been checking out Skoda Scalas or Octavias but these are quite pricey once you spec anything above basic trim. Other options include the Hyundai i30 Tourer, Peugeot 308 estate and even the electric MG 5 Estate, despite its looks.

I’d prefer nearly new over new (and this brings me back to Kia whose approved used cars come with the 7 year warranty reset for the new owner).

My must haves are: 500 litres boot capacity, cruise control, electric windows & mirrors, air-con, ability to comfortably cope with long trips to the rural Highlands in Scottish winters.

Would love: parking sensors, heated seats, automatic gearbox, adaptive cruise control.

Are you sure it's euro 6?

a.twiddler

Veteran
Would you consider a newer, lower mileage version of the same car (assuming the model change year is not too long ago)? Since you look as if you keep your cars for a decent length of time, the age/mileage balance might not be too much of an issue. There's no guarantee that an identical car will be equally reliable, of course, but it would be a good starting point. All internal combustion cars are probably going to be made harder to own through increases in car tax, fuel duty etc as leverage to get people to move to electric sooner or later. If you can get a few more years out of a known quantity while others bear the pleasures and pains of being test pilots for innovations in electric vehicle development until they are a bit more mature, you will still be ahead by the time you're ready to make the change.

Drago

Legendary Member
The spec wasnt introduced until 3 years after GC's car was made.
  • Euro 6 (2014) for light passenger and commercial vehicles—459/2012/EC and 2016/646/EU

mustang1

Legendary Member
I don't have a car recommendation but had a question. You said:

Does that mean when the second owner buys that pre-owned car, that they get a brand new 7 year warranty, or do they get the remainder of the original 7 year warranty? I thought it was the latter?

Kia Proceed and [Do you mean the Cee'd Sportswagon?]

Either of those TBH I know someone that's just bought a 2020 Kia Stonic and whilst the size doesn't meet your needs it has most of equipment (bar adaptive cruise control) you want. I like the look of the Kia Proceed the most over all of those.

I don't have a car recommendation but had a question. You said:

Does that mean when the second owner buys that pre-owned car, that they get a brand new 7 year warranty, or do they get the remainder of the original 7 year warranty? I thought it was the latter?

Best guess if it is an approved (ie from a KIA dealer) then yes brand new warranty. The one I know of came from a large chain of 3rd party dealers and it did not (but still had 5-6 years left).

All uphill

Still rolling along
Have you considered keeping your existing car as it suits you?

You could have a lot of preventative maintenance done for a couple of thousand and there would be one fewer new cars on the road.

You will have heard of the Skoda taxis that do 300,000 miles on their original engine and gearbox.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Are you sure it's euro 6?
Sorry, that was a typo, mine is Euro 5.

Second or subsequent owners get the balance of the 7 year warranty but buyers of a Kia Approved car get 7 years from the day they drive it away. Plus, all approved cars are no more than 20 months old.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Have you considered keeping your existing car as it suits you?

You could have a lot of preventative maintenance done for a couple of thousand and there would be one fewer new cars on the road.

You will have heard of the Skoda taxis that do 300,000 miles on their original engine and gearbox.

Yes, that certainly an option and I’ll keep it going as long as it’s economically viable. I’m just trying to be prepared so that, if it goes bang and isn’t worth fixing, I’ll know what I’m going for rather than being thrown in at the deep end.

I don’t really do impulse buying and take a long time researching what’s value for money, no matter how much I’m spending.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan

My Passat saloon has all of that. Parking sensors but no camera. Bought for 5k with 109k miles, yes you'll be looking at new clutch, flywheel and probably timing belt kit but those engines regularly get 200-300k miles. Spend the rest on curry

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

79 mpg! Has that got something to do with that standard north of the border fuel saving accessory the block of wood under the accelerator?

No, it’s that standard Scottish thriftiness! I have a very light right foot.

And just in case anyone thinks I was exaggerating about the economy:

AD186D93-D9FA-4D6B-BDA3-08877E83FDA6.jpeg

B9B5062C-ACA7-464C-9351-7E01AEEFA217.jpeg

Top Bottom