Changing road handle bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hi,

Am replacing the stem and handle bars on my road bike later. They have shimano 10 spd sti shifters on, anything or tips I need to be aware off as i've not done this before?

thanks! :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've always found swapping the bars and stem pretty easy. taping the cables and putting the wrap on the bars is the part that stresses me out. i tend to abide by whatever they say on the park tool website for a quiet life.

OP
OP
Davywalnuts

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Thanks.

Am going from a normal road bar to a short drop, so a bit concerned in getting the sti's mounted properly. Re-taping and laying the cables i should be fine with, just getting the angles right for when am resting on the hoods..

I think am worrying over nothing tbh! haha!

Tighten up the important bits and test ride it Davy - don't tape the cables to the bars etc...You shouldn't have a problem unless you shorten the 'reach' considerably, which will mean the outer casing is a bit long between hood and adjuster..perhaps?

threebikesmcginty said:
The rule was always to have the tips of the levers in line with the underside of the lower section of the drops.

*Prepares to be shot down in flames*

fire01.gif

:biggrin:

OP
OP
Davywalnuts

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
threebikesmcginty said:
The rule was always to have the tips of the levers in line with the underside of the lower section of the drops.

*Prepares to be shot down in flames*

Okay, thanks.. I think I need a diagram! ;)

OP
OP
Davywalnuts

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Aperitif said:
Tighten up the important bits and test ride it Davy - don't tape the cables to the bars etc...You shouldn't have a problem unless you shorten the 'reach' considerably, which will mean the outer casing is a bit long between hood and adjuster..perhaps?

Seems like the right way. Am going to take off one sti's at a time and line it up with the other one on the old handle bars, its just their differant shape throwing me out.. am also dropping from 100mm stem to 80mm, whats not too much, but should be about right thereafter... Test ride is good idea.. damn rain and time constraints though...

PS, nice new bike 'teef, but you went Shi*mano?? lol!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've used a ruler in the past ...

Bicycle-Brake-Levers-06.JPG

OP
OP
Davywalnuts

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Mmmmmmm... I saw them, but no... I went short drop, whats a shame as they are gorgeous!!

All done now, piccy later b4 they get filthy!! I think they are correct!

Tollers said:
Did you get a set of these Davy?

deda_phazer_bars.jpg

Joe

Über Member
The brake levers in line with the bottom of the drop is a good rule for classic bend, but not necessarily with ergo or compact bars. With these I'm aim to get a flat transition to the hoods first of all, and then check that the brakes are eaily accessible from the drops.
However you do it I'd take them on a decent ride before wrapping as there's nothing worse than having them in the wrong place under fresh tape!:biggrin:

Top Bottom