Charge Plug Sizing Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Another option perhaps, buy an old steel frame customise it and convert it to fixed.

I like the idea of a project but I'm not sure I can be bothered! One for the future maybe.

I did notice this on-one framset & wheel bundle earlier. But it's going to be a couple of hundred quid on top of that to get up and running. I'm just going to have to bide my time, and watch the sales and gumtree I think.

I like the idea of a project but I'm not sure I can be bothered! One for the future maybe.

I did notice this on-one framset & wheel bundle earlier. But it's going to be a couple of hundred quid on top of that to get up and running. I'm just going to have to bide my time, and watch the sales and gumtree I think.
The same frames (different colours) are on Planet X for £99 you could easily get it built to your spec for under £400, do it yourself and you'd probably be under £300.

Rancid

Bit of a journey there EdinDave.

My first bike was a 2011 charge plug, a solid excellent quality bit of kit.
would come highly recommended.
its not the lightest of bikes but is extremely sturdy.
i never felt it was in any distresses as i blasted over speed humps and up down kerbs despite my 18 stone (Fat bloke on a bike) physique.

i now ride a specialized SS which is lighter and takes less effort to get to a decent lick.
however i still grimace sometimes when i leave a kerb or go over a hump or fail to avoid a pot hole.

The specilized gets ridden hard and i show it little love.
The plug on the other hand was wiped down most nights and always kept looking tip top.

if you get the Plug you will not be disappointed.

Concerning tires......
Get something with some type of puncture protection.
there are a few different manufactures and all are worth getting over and above normal non puncture resistant tires.
Especially if you get the plug because that thing will ride through anything with a decent set of tires on it.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Bit of a journey there EdinDave.

My first bike was a 2011 charge plug, a solid excellent quality bit of kit.
would come highly recommended.
its not the lightest of bikes but is extremely sturdy.
i never felt it was in any distresses as i blasted over speed humps and up down kerbs despite my 18 stone (Fat bloke on a bike) physique.

i now ride a specialized SS which is lighter and takes less effort to get to a decent lick.
however i still grimace sometimes when i leave a kerb or go over a hump or fail to avoid a pot hole.

The specilized gets ridden hard and i show it little love.
The plug on the other hand was wiped down most nights and always kept looking tip top.

if you get the Plug you will not be disappointed.

Concerning tires......
Get something with some type of puncture protection.
there are a few different manufactures and all are worth getting over and above normal non puncture resistant tires.
Especially if you get the plug because that thing will ride through anything with a decent set of tires on it.

Thanks mate :thumbsup: , the Plug is still top of my list of the steel frame options. And although l like the look of some of the alu frame/carbon fork bikes, they're just not convincing me due to the harsh ride I get on my hybrid (which is the same combo).

Just playing a waiting game now... gumtree bargain or a "too good to pass up" sale offer.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Shame to hear about your issues with the Viking. I doubt you will be dissapointed in a Plug though. Plug's are plug's, nothing special on paper, but I've never heard anyone complain about their functionality and some of them look spiffy, esp the raw finish they did/still might do.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Shame to hear about your issues with the Viking. I doubt you will be dissapointed in a Plug though. Plug's are plug's, nothing special on paper, but I've never heard anyone complain about their functionality and some of them look spiffy, esp the raw finish they did/still might do.
Plug's are great. Flawed but great. Very robust, apart form the paint which us glued on with wallpaper paste, but that robustness comes at a price of a fairly unforgiving ride. The more upmarket Charge frames are double butted and may offer more compliant feel.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Plug's are great. Flawed but great. Very robust, apart form the paint which us glued on with wallpaper paste, but that robustness comes at a price of a fairly unforgiving ride. The more upmarket Charge frames are double butted and may offer more compliant feel.

Thanks Greg. When you say the upmarket frames, do you mean the Charge Plug Prestige or something else entirely?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
the prestige does have a 'better' frame than the stock plug,

the 2010 plug has a 'better' frame than the 2012 plug on paper.

bikes like the Tap and Mixer have 'better' frames than both!

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
the prestige does have a 'better' frame than the stock plug,

the 2010 plug has a 'better' frame than the 2012 plug on paper.

bikes like the Tap and Mixer have 'better' frames than both!

It's annoying when manufacturers reduce the quality in newer models. Pity the Tap and Mixer have hub gears. The Prestige is single butted too.

Top Bottom