Charge Spoon Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koro

Hi,

A quick, prob stupid question....

I have given upon the stock saddle (numbnuts) that came with my Giant Defy 2. After reading loads of posts have just bought a Charge Spoon Saddle.

Now I know that the saddle is meant to be level, do you put a book over the complete sadlle and use a level, or, just on the nose of the saddle?

I dont get out very oftenon the bike so would like to get the setup in the right ballpark

Oh and as I am asking stupid questions, spokes. Wheels are true, when you pluck the spokes approx half way down on each should they all sound with a similar twang.... I have what sound like a couple of loose spokes, before tightening them I thought I would ask (They havn`t been tightened since I got the bike, new)

Thanks for reading

battered

Guru
The seat should be approx level but the fine adjustment can only be done with your bum on it, or rather when your bum's been on it and you know how it feels. Why not take the tools out in your pocket and ride it about, adjusting as you go?

Re your spokes, they should be the same. If there are loose ones, nip them up. Don't go mad, just a quarter turn then test them again.

OP
OP
koro

koro

The seat should be approx level but the fine adjustment can only be done with your bum on it, or rather when your bum's been on it and you know how it feels. Why not take the tools out in your pocket and ride it about, adjusting as you go?

Re your spokes, they should be the same. If there are loose ones, nip them up. Don't go mad, just a quarter turn then test them again.

Thanks for your reply, I may have not made myself originally clear, do you place a book over the whole sadle and use a level, or just a level on the nose of the saddle?

As I said I dont go out very often, of course adjusting along the way is what I would do, just that I want to be in the ballpark to start off with. I dont want to spend most of my limited time adjusting .

Will do with the spokes though, cheers..

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Book is the common recommendation. IMHO it is just a starting point and one should adjust their saddle to suit their anatomy and riding style. A common reason for the phenomenon you had is due to the saddle not having the suitable width, shape or firmness to support your seat bones properly.

Just to make the spokes all equally tensioned for the sake of it is definitely not what you want to do. This provides the why and what to do.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Book is the common recommendation. IMHO it is just a starting point and one should adjust their saddle to suit their anatomy and riding style. A common reason for the phenomenon you had is due to the saddle not having the suitable width, shape or firmness to support your seat bones properly.

Just to make the spokes all equally tensioned for the sake of it is definitely not what you want to do. This provides the why and what to do.

Thanks,,,I am hoping the spoon saddle will cure the numbnuts....time will tell. The book then goes across the whole saddle, which would make the nose of the saddle look to be pointing up?

Thanks for the link, I was a little confused when he says to go around the whole wheel, "The spokes should feel tight and firm. They should have just a little give when you squeeze them fairly hard." Then goes on to say " If all but a few of your spokes are mostly tight enough, the worst mistake you could make would be to tighten just the loose spokes."

battered

Guru
You don't need a spirit level to set a saddle. Get it about right by eye, then tweak. If a book helps the eyeing up process, well and good.

OP
OP
koro

koro

You don't need a spirit level to set a saddle. Get it about right by eye, then tweak. If a book helps the eyeing up process, well and good.

I guess I am not explaining myself very well. I have read about using the book and a level...but nearly most of the modern saddles, the "tail" of the saddle tilts up, so does the book go across that part as well...or just along the nose of the saddle..:blush:

D

Deleted member 1258

Personally I use a builders spirit level that's about two feet long, with most saddles the contact points are the back and the nose of the saddle.

spence

Über Member
Not whole convinced by the Spoon yet, brought one as a (cheap) replacement for an original Spech BG Rival, not as comfy. Many friends use them and have been saying good things.

Use a level at a diagonal across the saddle as a starting point to avoid rear up turn, then adjust on the fly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You guys have a spelling problem, it's not a 'Book' you need... it's a Brooks... :rolleyes:

I'd rather................stick needles in my eyes................

The Charge saddles are flippin ace............. just level up front/back...dead easy. I have a Titanium Knife on my fixed geared daily road bike and its super comfy for 200g of weight.............. love it..............

Globalti

Legendary Member
Seconded. I bought a Knife for the road bike; it's comfortable and extremely light. Looks good too.

Both the Knife and the Spoon are quite cupped so you sit in them rather than on them, which makes the angle extra critical. I find nose up by about 5 degrees right for me.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If you're getting a numb gentleman's area, I'd drop the nose of the saddle a little bit.
A teeny tweak can make all the difference.

Agree - have the Spoon on one of my bikes and as good as it is now, it took about a dozen rides to get it just right with numerous mid-ride adjustments.

The Spoon has an arched middle. I find tilting the nose one position down from totally flat works perfect (for me).

postman

Legendary Member
I love mine only done three rides since coming back from holiday .But it's me best mate now .Thanks to all on here who said YES .

Thats why i bought it .Good reviews .

Top Bottom