Charging for having tyres pumped up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Twice I've been into bike shops in France: one did a rebuild of the BB30 bottom bracket while I waited, the other did a repair of a gear shifter and replaced the gear cable, and neither would take any money when offered. I suspect neither did it because they expected to see me again.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Twice I've been into bike shops in France: one did a rebuild of the BB30 bottom bracket while I waited, the other did a repair of a gear shifter and replaced the gear cable, and neither would take any money when offered. I suspect neither did it because they expected to see me again.
Whilst a heart warming, life affirming tale it's not a business model I could follow to the letter and remain in business. I do quite a lot of stuff that I don't charge for but I am also quite fond of food and electricity so do sometimes have to charge just a little.

It might be useful though if you could remember the names of these shops and pass them on to me so that I can in turn pass them on to those of my customers who think that £8 for a brake cable, fitted and adjusted with complimentary air and general check over for faults is a bit pricey.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I would provide the pump but not do the pumping, if I were you.

On another note, I had one LBS "reinflate" my mtb tyres as part of a standard service - in point of fact they hardly did any of the checks on the pre-check list but one of the things they did put on their "what we did" sheet was "inflated tyres". I don't think they charged me for this although it was a free service from Marin anyway. The point is though that having spent my own time and effort researching, testing and settling on my own PSIs for both front and rear, I was a bit ****ed off with the shop for pumping them up which I definitely didn't ask them to do.

So if you're running a shop, maybe it would be better to ask your customer before changing settings that they may have dialled in deliberately :smile:
Sometimes it is blatantly obvious that tyres need air. I do tell people I've done it so if there is an issue it is the easiest thing in the world to let a bit of air out and get it back to just how they like it.
Also a lot of people simply don't realise that tyres loose a bit of air over time and ride round on massively under inflated tyres. It's really not uncommon to find 20psi in tyres rated for much higher. On the other hand leaving tyres at well below recommended pressure just feels wrong and can look as if I don't give a toss.

cd365

Guru
It might be useful though if you could remember the names of these shops and pass them on to me so that I can in turn pass them on to those of my customers who think that £8 for a brake cable, fitted and adjusted with complimentary air and general check over for faults is a bit pricey.

8 whole English pounds? You're having a laugh. That's almost 3 beers

screenman

Legendary Member
We stopped using our local due to people wanting freebies, my wife has had people take their shoes off for her to inspect their feet, this whilst we have a drink. Also every man and his dog wants a dent fixed or his windscreen repaired, for free that is.

Have you worked out exactly how much each hour or 1/4 of costs you to be in business.

I have been in business for 39 years, never been quiet and seldom do a freeebie, my best and most loyal customers expect to pay me for my time and effort.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Lbs always pumps my tires up. ALWAYS. And I did too working in a lbs.

Would be put off big time if a track pump was charged for.

It is after all nice to be generous. Even if you are caked in sweat and only receive a thank you

Cyclist33

Sometimes it is blatantly obvious that tyres need air. I do tell people I've done it so if there is an issue it is the easiest thing in the world to let a bit of air out and get it back to just how they like it.
Also a lot of people simply don't realise that tyres loose a bit of air over time and ride round on massively under inflated tyres. It's really not uncommon to find 20psi in tyres rated for much higher. On the other hand leaving tyres at well below recommended pressure just feels wrong and can look as if I don't give a toss.

But saying that, 25psi is ok on the front especially if you're light like me and in any case I would rather be asked first if I want it inflating than be told you have done it already.

redcard

Veteran
Don't see the problem with charging. Charge a quid and give them the best goddam pumping you've ever given anyone.

He probably won't come back to buy some bar tape; these folks never do.

Albert

Über Member
A good shop would not charge a penny for being helpful. My favourite LBS is very helpful to anyone and everyone who calls. This is why they are popular and sell lots of bikes to people (like me) who have less helpful shops closer to hand.

No charge, there is a pump outside the station I use to travel to London and its free right next to the bike parking area, there is also a free tool area that carries all the tools you need to fix a puncture (apart from the inner tube / patches), reposition your seat / handlebars / pedals, attached by wire - its really impressive!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I wouldn't be so cheeky as to just call into a LBS to borrow a track pump. Maybe if it was one I went in regularly but chances are it would be out on some ride somewhere and not my local shop.

Nice to be generous, good karma yadda yadda......but they have a business to run and I'm in their shop so I'd buy something like an innertube

Reactions: 4F

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I asked my LBS to fit some internet bought tyres for me,the old bloke said i was being cheeky as i hadn't bought them there. I offered him a fiver as i know they charge 3 quid to fit a pair of tyres bought from the shop. He refused, though a few weeks later the lad in the shop fitted a pair of tyres i bought from their shop for 3 quid.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom