Charging for having tyres pumped up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
My LBS does a charity pump, if your not having work done and just want to use the pump they ask you do put a donation in the charity box.
Does good for others while reminding the consumer that pumps and time cost money.
It also makes people think twice as they had regular 'free' pumpers before they took this step.

I went to a bike shop talking to the owner about an upgraded wheel (unfortunately shop is now closed) and a young lad of about ten came in in tears because his chain was stuck between the frame and cog.

Owner asked if I would mind if he sorted it whilst we talked

Sorted chain, lubed it, adjusted a hanging brake, and pumped up the tyres, before sendingthe young lad on his way

I was impressed, and it made me realise that some local bike shops were (and are) part of the community

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Whilst a heart warming, life affirming tale it's not a business model I could follow to the letter and remain in business. I do quite a lot of stuff that I don't charge for but I am also quite fond of food and electricity so do sometimes have to charge just a little.

It might be useful though if you could remember the names of these shops and pass them on to me so that I can in turn pass them on to those of my customers who think that £8 for a brake cable, fitted and adjusted with complimentary air and general check over for faults is a bit pricey.
Intersport, Chateauroux, and Sports Die Cîmes, Die.

Actually, in the first instance I bought a nice tyre, which I hadn't planned to do, and the second one I returned to subsequently to buy some gaiters, as they'd refused payment for the work.

BikeLiker

Also a second thought, anybody who needs you to put air into their tyres will probably be innept enough mechanically they will come back to you for minor things like new brake pads; best to keep them sweet IMO.

I've borrowed LBS track pumps a couple of times like this after puncturing. I can't get more than about 70psi in with my mini pump (use cartridges now) and tend to get pinch punctures if riding at this pressure so I topped up at LBS. I wasn't charged at either shop but felt a bit like a freeloader - I would have preferred to pay a small charge. 4F's voucher idea is a good one.

I've borrowed LBS track pumps a couple of times like this after puncturing. I can't get more than about 70psi in with my mini pump (use cartridges now) and tend to get pinch punctures if riding at this pressure so I topped up at LBS. I wasn't charged at either shop but felt a bit like a freeloader - I would have preferred to pay a small charge. 4F's voucher idea is a good one.
Sorry if I didnt put it clearly, plenty of good cyclists fix their p'ture, top up with a mini but go into a lbs to borrow a track pump to top up, Ive probably done it myself. Its the ones that go out without a pump and dont even know how to work one and need a mechanic to do it for them; I'd class as technically inept and potential future customers for minor things.

KneesUp

Guru
I think as a retailer it's something you have to do as it only costs you time, in the same way gift shops wrap things for free if their small and independent.

What you should do though is make sure you get *something* in return. For example, do you have a shop mailing list to send out emails? They can be very useful, especially if you sell on-line or are planning to, but also so you can contact people when you have offers on. People who get the bike shop to pump up their tyres are probably the ideal people to be able to email about your special offer on a pre-winter service (in October when it's a bit quiet in the workshop - not that I know that it is, but for example) And it's always good to be able to email known customers when you order in a box of widgets and then realise that you already have a box of widgets but it was hidden behind the wotsits :smile: So, when you pump up their tyres, have a visitors book on the counter, and say something like "It's £x to pump up tyres normally, but it's free if you're on our mailing list - we just email you about special offers in the shop" - I bet 95% will sign up.

I'd recommend mailchimp (free) for maintaining a customer mailing list, btw.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Ok, after reading all of your comments I'm going to attach a couple of ordinary pumps outside for people to use. I'm going to carry on doing the odd thing for free. I don't see the point in not just tweaking some ones headset up if it's come loose. It takes a couple of minutes and improves the ride no end. I find people appreciate this sort of a thing and it costs me nothing and I like it when I get that sort of service. I don't see any point in being all jobsworth about it, after all I'm not talking about replacing entire transmissions for free, just little bits and bobs.
I would also reiterate that the op was borne out of a moment of frustration and not how I usually feel.

There have been some good ideas up here so thanks for that.

screenman

Legendary Member
It does cost you, it may be that you have not worked out how much, which for a business is not a good idea.

surfdude

Veteran
it will get you return customers . customer service is very important to us all. i would and do go out of my way to go to the best shop . sometimes costs me a bit more but i know what they are doing is a good job and i like that and the way they treat me.keep it up and we all have our off days , hours .

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It does cost you, it may be that you have not worked out how much, which for a business is not a good idea.
I think it gets me more than it costs. As I said I'm only talking small courtesies not total rebuilds. In purely monetary terms perhaps it doesn't pay, or at least not immediately but it is more about the sort of person I want to be and the sort of service I'd like to offer. Little things like putting a dust cap on a valve when I've got loads of them lying around or tweaking the odd nut and bolt is not going to break me financially and if it was then my business would be in a pretty shocking state anyway.
I get what you're saying and I can see that there is a point at which it makes no sense to do freebies but I'm ok with the level of stuff I do.

screenman

Legendary Member
Cyclopathic, I run my business on the under promise and over deliver philosophy, it seems to work quite well. I think you are doing the same and all credit to you. But from and old pro be careful those freebie jobs can grow, people that expect not to pay for one thing expect not to pay for another.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My Dad had a pump on a cable outside his shop for random tyre pumping. It poked through the shutters after closing so people could use it in the evenings and on half days/Sundays etc. It never got nicked - which might have had more to do with the era in which he had a bike shop - and my Dad or Uncle were always happy to pop out and help someone pump their tyres up. I think that the pump got my Dad & Uncle a fair bit of business in the "oh while we are here, we might as well get an innertube/new bell..." sort of way. They never charged to pump a tyre up, they said that it was customer service just like when the man filled your car up with fuel and didn't charge extra for the filling service.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Cyclopathic, I run my business on the under promise and over deliver philosophy, it seems to work quite well. I think you are doing the same and all credit to you. But from and old pro be careful those freebie jobs can grow, people that expect not to pay for one thing expect not to pay for another.
Duly noted.
Thanks. I'm no Jesus or anything and do stand firm on my prices and have had to tell at least one person to go to Halfords.

Top Bottom