Charity bike shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
It sounds like a wonderful arrangement frankly, my garage is full of some really great spares and components that I'll never use thanks to upgrades etc, and a couple of virtually pristine kids' bikes, and nobody around here will take them off my hands because it's second hand. I'd be utterly delighted and heartwarmed if a scheme could make some good use of it all.

The two LBS in my town are doing just fine but I think a charity shop could coexist.
Freecycle :okay:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
There used to be one in Bolton Town center but I think it's gone now. This really isn't a bike friendly town :sad:
I believe my local community centre has a bike workshop. I'll have to pay a visit sometime as I've a bunch of perfectly good tyres and tubes to get rid of.

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
It sounds like a wonderful arrangement frankly, my garage is full of some really great spares and components that I'll never use thanks to upgrades etc, and a couple of virtually pristine kids' bikes, and nobody around here will take them off my hands because it's second hand. I'd be utterly delighted and heartwarmed if a scheme could make some good use of it all.

The two LBS in my town are doing just fine but I think a charity shop could coexist.

Try GUMTREE to sell the kids bikes. I've bought a couple from there for the grandkids over the years.

vickster

Legendary Member
All of their recycled inner tube bags etc, they don't... smell like inner tubes, do they?
I have a purse. The rubbery smell went after a short while but it does leave black marks. I wouldn’t use a bag or belt with white clothes

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I work in a cycle co-op in the States. We take contributions, fix them up, help the community, and build a lot of bikes. LBS's actually help us and contribute. We just don't advertise any late model bicycles from the brands represented by the shops. I live in a twin city of about 100,000 total, so we have three bike shops. One is Trek/Electra, one is Specialized, one is Fuji/other. We get in everything. Lots of Raleighs, Schwinns, Treks, Specialized, Jamis, Norco, Sekai, Sekine. Many of our bicycles are from the 70's and 80's. Many newer bikes as well. Also many big box store type bicycles. Members receive a set amount in trade per hours worked.

Top Bottom