Charity Cycle - Assistance needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EmmaCanham

Hi

I am trying to organise a cycle ride in aid of Cancer Research at work

I am not a cyclist, I have three cyclists taking part one is a cyclist who thinks everything is possible and has planned the route/timings, the other two are cyclists but out of practice and not as confident the plan can be achieved

I would be grateful if you could let me know your thoughts as to whether it is achievable and if not possibly some help as to how it can be achieved

04:00 am depart Kenton School (Newcastle upon Tyne)
18:00 pm arrive Stirling (Scotland)
148 miles taking the kielder forest route, via galashiels
4 x 15 minute breaks (every approx 38 miles)

Hot meal upon arrival in Stirling, 8 hours sleep

Return journey
04:00 am depart Stirling Office
18:00 pm arrive Kenton School
148 miles
4 x 15 minute breaks (every approx 38 miles)

The concerns they have is that setting off at 4 am they will not have had a good sleep before hand, but then if we set off later we risk having to cycle through rush hour traffic. For health and safety purposes work do not want us cycling when its dark, we will also be taking time off work so ideally needs to be over two days.

Can anyone help? they are trying my patients

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

ScotiaLass

Guru
148 miles both days, with 'out of practice' cyclists? Seriously?
I don't want to put a dampner on things but maybe people should build up fitness first before attempting this sort of mileage.

cd365

Guru
148 miles both days, with 'out of practice' cyclists? Seriously?
I don't want to put a dampner on things but maybe people should build up fitness first before attempting this sort of mileage.
I agree, that is a long way and you will need to train properly for a while beforehand.
Also make sure you have a backup vehicle capable of taking all of the bikes and people home!!

U

User6179

Hard for a seasoned cyclist in good weather , I doubt many non cyclists or cyclists out of practice would be able to sit on the saddle second day , you would need 2- 3 months training to do this I think for to have any chance and if the weathers bad cant see you making it ,100 miles each way would be a safer bet .

OP
OP
E

EmmaCanham

Thanks for your comments, I have put the following suggestions forward to them and await a response in the mean time, are any of these achievable:
Stick with the original plan but alter it so that we set off at 7 and don't have a rigid arrival time, and have a short break every 20 miles (I believe Steven has concerns about hitting rush hour traffic with this option)
Only cycle one way
Cycle the first 50 miles as a threesome, then relay the remaining miles between you (same on the way back)
Spread the ride over 3 days do the first 100 mile the first day (stop over night at the 100 mile point) do the second 100 mile the second day (calling in at Stirling for photos etc en route - stop the second night at the same place as the first) on the third day cycle back the remaining 100 mile. - This option is obviously the most sensible for cycling wise, however this comes with additional time away from work and additional accommodation costs
Thanks in advance

U

User6179

If it was me I would go for the 3 day option ,6 hours plus on a bike is more than enough per day I think :smile:

Top Bottom