charity shop bargains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Brand new with labels Foska winter jacket, £6.95 I gave a tenner and still feel guilty about it.

Some very nice Cunard cups and saucers from about 1920ish £1.00 a pair, we had all 3 pairs and again paid £10.

A set of 4 wireless phones all complete with bases stations etc. Again brand new £7.95.

I enjoy bargain hunting.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Plate camera
Portable valve radio
and this clock

2.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
[QUOTE 3977073, member: 43827"]A couple of years ago my wife bought a Chinese vase from a Cancer Research shop for a couple of quid that turned out to be worth a couple of hundred. Having previously been successfully treated for leukaemia she gave it back and told them how much it was worth.

I've bought a Raleigh Tourist for £20 - and kept it.[/QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding a bit earnest I think this is the right approach. Finding something ridiculously undervalued in a commercial shop is fair game. But in a charity shop? Nah, particularly if you're going to resell it for some humungous profit

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3977073, member: 43827"]A couple of years ago my wife bought a Chinese vase from a Cancer Research shop for a couple of quid that turned out to be worth a couple of hundred. Having previously been successfully treated for leukaemia she gave it back and told them how much it was worth.

I've bought a Raleigh Touri
st for £20 - and kept it.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing, so to all
those who have found a bargin and sold it for a decent profit....do you feel inclined to share some of your winnings with the shop?

Oh and *edit*.... I don't wish to sound as if I
am judging, just asking...at least you have supported the shop, Ive never bought anything other than fancy dress gear at a charity shop so I can't say that I am very supportive.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
At the risk of sounding a bit earnest I think this is the right approach. Finding something ridiculously undervalued in a commercial shop is fair game. But in a charity shop? Nah, particularly if you're going to resell it for some humungous profit
Most charity shops these days are pretty savvy. My mum was manager of a Cancer Research shop before her illness. It's not often nowadays they miss a high value item

ScotiaLass

Guru
I was thinking the same thing, so to all those who have found a bargin and sold it for a decent profit....do you feel inclined to share some of your winnings with the shop?

Oh and *edit*.... I don't wish to sound as if I am judging, just asking...at least you have supported the shop,Mike never bought anything other than fancy dress gear at a charity shop so I can't say that I am very supportive.
It was my ex who bought the game and sold it for a profit...he used to do that a lot because he's a tight git! I supported by buying there, and also helping out one day a week.

Many years ago from a charity shop in Leek, Staffordshire.
A Rab down jacket for £5. I still have it, it has been fantastic. Replacement cost would be +£150-£200.
A top end Rab down sleeping bag that goes down to -40C. My OH still has it. £25. At the time it cost us £315 to buy a second one (we were out in -18C before anyone asks) and a similar one now costs over £600. Ironically one of the few things we didn't sell when we sold 'everything' before our rtw attempt.

My mum picks up things all the time from charity shops but one I remember very well were some rare architects books. She paid £1 each for them. Sold them on at an antiques fair for £100 for the 3. After a guy bought them, he told her he would have happily paid £100 each for them!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I rarely go in BHF shops as they seem to buy in tat for their bric-a-brac and are generally so cramped with stuff it is hard to move around.

Top Bottom