charity shop bargains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Brand new with labels Foska winter jacket, £6.95 I gave a tenner and still feel guilty about it.

Some very nice Cunard cups and saucers from about 1920ish £1.00 a pair, we had all 3 pairs and again paid £10.

A set of 4 wireless phones all complete with bases stations etc. Again brand new £7.95.

I enjoy bargain hunting.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Plate camera
Portable valve radio
and this clock

2.jpg

Got some clothes and loads of CD's from charity shops. We donate a lot too.
Aside from that the best bargain was a book for 1p from Amazon with free postage.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
[QUOTE 3977073, member: 43827"]A couple of years ago my wife bought a Chinese vase from a Cancer Research shop for a couple of quid that turned out to be worth a couple of hundred. Having previously been successfully treated for leukaemia she gave it back and told them how much it was worth.

I've bought a Raleigh Tourist for £20 - and kept it.[/QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding a bit earnest I think this is the right approach. Finding something ridiculously undervalued in a commercial shop is fair game. But in a charity shop? Nah, particularly if you're going to resell it for some humungous profit

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3977073, member: 43827"]A couple of years ago my wife bought a Chinese vase from a Cancer Research shop for a couple of quid that turned out to be worth a couple of hundred. Having previously been successfully treated for leukaemia she gave it back and told them how much it was worth.

I've bought a Raleigh Touri
st for £20 - and kept it.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing, so to all
those who have found a bargin and sold it for a decent profit....do you feel inclined to share some of your winnings with the shop?

Oh and *edit*.... I don't wish to sound as if I
am judging, just asking...at least you have supported the shop, Ive never bought anything other than fancy dress gear at a charity shop so I can't say that I am very supportive.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding a bit earnest I think this is the right approach. Finding something ridiculously undervalued in a commercial shop is fair game. But in a charity shop? Nah, particularly if you're going to resell it for some humungous profit
Most charity shops these days are pretty savvy. My mum was manager of a Cancer Research shop before her illness. It's not often nowadays they miss a high value item

I was thinking the same thing, so to all those who have found a bargin and sold it for a decent profit....do you feel inclined to share some of your winnings with the shop?

Oh and *edit*.... I don't wish to sound as if I am judging, just asking...at least you have supported the shop,Mike never bought anything other than fancy dress gear at a charity shop so I can't say that I am very supportive.
It was my ex who bought the game and sold it for a profit...he used to do that a lot because he's a tight git! I supported by buying there, and also helping out one day a week.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Many years ago from a charity shop in Leek, Staffordshire.
A Rab down jacket for £5. I still have it, it has been fantastic. Replacement cost would be +£150-£200.
A top end Rab down sleeping bag that goes down to -40C. My OH still has it. £25. At the time it cost us £315 to buy a second one (we were out in -18C before anyone asks) and a similar one now costs over £600. Ironically one of the few things we didn't sell when we sold 'everything' before our rtw attempt.

My mum picks up things all the time from charity shops but one I remember very well were some rare architects books. She paid £1 each for them. Sold them on at an antiques fair for £100 for the 3. After a guy bought them, he told her he would have happily paid £100 each for them!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I rarely go in BHF shops as they seem to buy in tat for their bric-a-brac and are generally so cramped with stuff it is hard to move around.

Top Bottom