Charlie Mullins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Er,i'm sure i mentioned that previously.:rolleyes:

You said he worked within a 3 mile radius which is ludicrous.

lane

Veteran
Charlie Mullins appears to be an irritating twit as you say. Someone who connects a gas cooker for 40 notes is someone to put in your phone contacts.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Well there you go, that's what her £40 was paying for. For comparison, Curry's wanted to charge me £20 to install a washing machine which isn't safety critical and doesn't require any special certification. As long as it's not a blatant rip off, we really need to stop devaluing people's labour. £40 to me doesn't seem unreasonable.
I'm probably banging on about this a bit too much so I'll stop soon but I just checked the Curry's website and gas cooker installation is £85. And that's from the people supplying the appliance.

DRM

Guru
Well there you go, that's what her £40 was paying for. For comparison, Curry's wanted to charge me £20 to install a washing machine which isn't safety critical and doesn't require any special certification. As long as it's not a blatant rip off, we really need to stop devaluing people's labour. £40 to me doesn't seem unreasonable.
https://www.logic4training.co.uk/blog/gas-courses/how-much-does-it-cost-to-become-a-gas-engineer/
I agree, not a rip off to fit it, the Gas Safe certification course is £4,750+vat, then there’s lease on a van, tools to buy, insurance, sundries, etc, etc. So it isn’t cheap to be a gas engineer

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
@Accy cyclist , how much would you have charged her?
For doing this. Probably about 20 quid and then i'd feel i'd overcharged.

Mind you,she had her chimney swept in the winter and that cost her £150 for 20 minutes work!!:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
@Accy cyclist you are now a fully trained gas fitter. Congratulations.
He connected a pipe,then checked there weren't any gas leaks. That's all he did. According to the woman who had it connected,he didn't even have to move the oven,apart from pushing it back after connection,as the person she bought it off put the thing in place for her. He also said he would've connected it for free,but he wouldn't risk it as he didn't have a gas fitters certificate.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Hey,don't get me wrong about this plumber! I've known him since secondary school and he's done jobs for me when i lived with the former Mrs Accy. I've joked about his hourly rate with him and he laughs it off. Fair play to him for building up a well paying business!

Besides,he's still working full time aged 60 and er, i'm not.:whistle: ;)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You said he worked within a 3 mile radius which is ludicrous.
He does though! He has a good reputation in this small town. Think about it. He has 25,000 potential customers. A bathroom suite fitted here and there,a gas boiler fitted here and there,central heating fitted here and there. He has loads of customers and probably a fair waiting list.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
He also said he would've connected it for free,but he wouldn't risk it as he didn't have a gas fitters certificate

That doesn’t make sense. If he isn’t Gas Safe registered then it doesn’t matter whether he charges or not.

Your neighbour needs to get a registered gas fitter in now to check that installation.

Top Bottom