Charlie Mullins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not sure I'd use a plumber that spends that much on so many vanity plates, some of those will have been really expensive and I'd rather see my money go on the actual repair rather than other stuff which I'd not get the benefit from.

I lived one summer in Pimlico in about 95, at what was then the Royal Naval Medical Establishment, that was the first time I became aware of Pimlico Plumbing... I'm sure they had vintage vans then, Morris possibly?
He's investing company income, or his plumbers are spending their money on plates?

stephec

Legendary Member
That's s fair price surely
Definitely.

There seems to be an attitude of - skilled manual workers shouldn't be able to do well for themselves, as if the class system should keep them tugging their forlocks.

A few years ago a couple of electricians came to do some work in our office and turned up in a 3 series, someone there turned round and exclaimed, 'look at them, how can they have a BMW?'

Probably because they can afford it. 😂

Definitely.

A few years ago a couple of electricians came to do some work in our office and turned up in a 3 series, someone there turned round and exclaimed, 'look at them, how can they have a BMW?'

A 3 series is/was more common than a Mondeo due to company car leasing rates not so long ago (BM being articially cheap), being built in a factory by robots neither vehicle would be that disimilar in quality, perceived value is Windows/Apple argument?

lane

Veteran
Definitely.

There seems to be an attitude of - skilled manual workers shouldn't be able to do well for themselves, as if the class system should keep them tugging their forlocks.

£40 for 15 mins work

Then the travel to and from which was probably more than 15 mins

Then overheads such as van, accountants, advertising plus time doing admin and giving quotations. Time putting all tools in and out of the van at start and end of the day. Time spent buying stuff needed for the 15 minute jobs. Time and cost of courses to keep your qualifications up to date. Registration with some trade body or other. Insurance.

I doubt you will get rich

stephec

Legendary Member
A 3 series is/was more common than a Mondeo due to company car leasing rates not so long ago (BM being articially cheap), being built in a factory by robots neither vehicle would be that disimilar in quality, perceived value is Windows/Apple argument?
It was about twenty years ago when it happened, at about the same time that I went for a job where I was told, 'you'll get a van as the boss doesn't think that service engineers should have cars,' I made my excuses and left at that point.

stephec

Legendary Member
£40 for 15 mins work

Then the travel to and from which was probably more than 15 mins

Then overheads such as van, accountants, advertising plus time doing admin and giving quotations. Time putting all tools in and out of the van at start and end of the day. Time spent buying stuff needed for the 15 minute jobs. Time and cost of courses to keep your qualifications up to date. Registration with some trade body or other. Insurance.

I doubt you will get rich
Exactly, my company charges £1200 a day for my time but I don't see a lot of it.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I'm just hoping @Fab Foodie and @Speicher don't see this thread. There's been too many puns already

I could end up in very hot water, if people do not like my puns.

Top Bottom