Charlton Heston R.I.P.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Patrick Stevens said:
Well, for a start, it wasn't necessarily criminal behaviour. Remember that here in the UK, Kenneth Noyes got away with killing a policeman on his property by convincing a jury that he thought he was an intruder about to attack him.

I agree however that if you have a great proliferation of firearms and scant controls and training, that the risk of accidents, stupid behaviour and opportunistic crime goes up.

That's largely my argument against gun ownership.

redcogs

Guru
Bum and others will be happy only when every UK household has a Winchester hung on the wall and a crossbow under every bed.

U

User482

Patrick Stevens said:
As you've probably gathered, I'm all in favour of responsible controlled gun ownership by trained and safe people. Are you against all gun ownership?

I don't see the problem with target shooting etc, if the guns are kept securely. I did some clay pigeon shooting last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

redcogs

Guru
It seems Bum and others would like everyone to have the right to carry machetties down the local every night. Provided they have sat a responsible citizens test organised by the Freemasons.

col

Legendary Member
User482 said:
The murder of an innocent school boy = accidents happen. Nice.:tongue:

You only have to look at the rates of accidental homicides compared with gun ownership to see that your point about using other weapons instead is completely untrue.

Trying to use the schoolboy as a moral boost is beneath you.Im not saying that there are no more accidents,im saying it s wrong to blame someone who upholds a right in that country,for someone elses actions.If that was the case,what would you think of the owners of car factories,are they responsible in a smallway for all the deaths caused by cars,or would you say its the drivers or others involved thats to blame?That factory owner must be a nasty person,he makes them,knowing that some of them will kill someone:wacko:

redcogs

Guru
If all that fails, the responsible citizenry should be free to organise a decent lynch mobbing every now and again - as a deterrent you understand.

redcogs said:
Bum and others will be happy only when every UK household has a Winchester hung on the wall and a crossbow under every bed.

Interestingly enough, very few of the shooting people I know are in favour of having guns for self defence. It's all very well in theory, but to be effective the guns have to be readily available and not locked away in hidden cabinets with bits missing and the ammunition in a separate cabinet.

And, shooting people know that if guns are readily available, then accidents will happen. The loaded shotgun under the bed could mean blowing your foot off.

col said:
Trying to use the schoolboy as a moral boost is beneath you.Im not saying that there are no more accidents,im saying it s wrong to blame someone who upholds a right in that country,for someone elses actions.If that was the case,what would you think of the owners of car factories,are they responsible in a smallway for all the deaths caused by cars,or would you say its the drivers or others involved thats to blame?That factory owner must be a nasty person,he makes them,knowing that some of them will kill someone:wacko:
Blaming Charlton Heston directly is a bit strong. On the other hand, if the NRA were less powerful then there's a good chance that the nervous householder would not have had anything more powerful than a rolling pin available and the paperboy wouldn't be dead.

redcogs

Guru
There are enough shooting organisations out there to enable reasonable people to shoot for leisure/sport. They seem to do it safely, and treat it with the necessary degree of gravity. When things do go wrong (Hungerford, Dunblane), as inevitably they must in a society of human beings, there is quite properly a reaction of outrage and fear.

This seems reasonable and measured to me.

But a few 'freedom fighters' occasionally emerge with the most absurdly preposterous 'argument' that gun controls are an unnecessary infringement - a position only worthy of ridicule.

U

User482

col said:

You're not in a position to make judgements on morality, given your callous dismissal of the murder of a schoolboy.

Heston directly campaigned for the right to possess a lethal weapon that undoubtedly leads to the murder of innocent people. As cars are not designed to be lethal weapons, your analogy is an association fallacy.

redcogs said:
But a few 'freedom fighters' occasionally emerge with the most absurdly preposterous 'argument' that gun controls are an unnecessary infringement - a position only worthy of ridicule.

Not least because they're the people I'd trust least with a gun in the first place.

col

Legendary Member
User482 said:
You're not in a position to make judgements on morality, given your callous dismissal of the murder of a schoolboy.

Heston directly campaigned for the right to possess a lethal weapon that undoubtedly leads to the murder of innocent people. As cars are not designed to be lethal weapons, your analogy is an association fallacy.

When you turn an accident ,into a morality issue,to use as an excuse ,then i question your motives.Please show me how i callously dismissed the paperboys death?.i said it was an accident,which is what it was,but you probably knew that,and seem to be starting to try and provoke,instead of debate.
Being that we know that cars kill people,not by design,but they do,who would you say is to blame? The maker,as he knows this too?But continues to make them.
My argument is that you should blame the person responsible,not someone who had nothing to do with what a person decides to do,by choice,or accident.

Top Bottom