Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Cartagena, Colombia!

View attachment 609411

AirBnB is "temporarily" without internet, will try to update soon.....
That was the "big" boat?

I only joined this site a month ago, and have managed to read your entire main thread, start to finish. Great writing, very inspirational.

It was a bit odd reading the pre-pandemic entries, knowing what was coming, when you had no idea as you wrote them.

That was the "big" boat?

I only joined this site a month ago, and have managed to read your entire main thread, start to finish. Great writing, very inspirational.

It was a bit odd reading the pre-pandemic entries, knowing what was coming, when you had no idea as you wrote them.
Yep!
That was the "big boat"^_^. About 15 meters long and home to 13 people.
Roccado travelled (wrapped in plastic) in the hold.

Thanks for the kind words. Most days I have no idea what's around the next bend so a global Pandemic fits right in^_^

Travelling two years now and if someone had told me then that I'd "only" be crossing from Panamá to Colombia now it would have been seen as a failure.
If this is "failure" then "success" would probably finish me off!^_^

cwskas

Über Member
Touring Wars: The cyclist strikes back! . . . a lone cycle tourist takes on the might of an unholy alliance between a treacherous road, malevolent machines and the results of a global pandemic. Just when the alliance seemed to have moved into position to crush the cyclist he decided to strike back!

A funny reference to me, perhaps a more serious analogy for you! :ohmy:

I am not enjoying Panamá. . . . How ironic that it's this place that gives me the luxury of time! . . . What kind of a touring cyclist sets a goal of 35km for the day? This one! . . . . 35km I said to myself. My mantra of the day.

Sounds like quite a good battle strategy!

. . . the Panama Canal and I am not going to rush past that! Big boats in a canal? Locks?

So at least something that might redeem Panama in your memories!

. . . . The place was closed and up for sale.*

:ninja: . . . time for a flanking maneuver!

I walked back, my toes turning black from all the volcanic sand and couldn't believe that this was the same day as earlier.

And the enemy retreats allowing you to regroup to full force!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 738 , Monday, September 20 2021, Cartagena to Puerto Colombia
After Panama, it sounds like cycling in Columbia has taken a turn for the better? Well, apart from the rapid-fire Spanish speakers.
And apart from the scorching heat.
And apart from axe/machete wielding potential ne'erdowells.
And apart from the rectilinear views.
Oh, and ...
My nipples are killing me!
Maybe your piercings are due their annual service?

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Always on a bike tour we hit that point where we're heading home. Have I just passed mine?
Given the distance remaining and the undoubted challenges yet to be faced, I suspect not. Metaphorically speaking, I imagine you're unlikely to be freewheeling for some while yet! However, has this realisation changed the way you think about the remainder?
My ass is worrying me a bit. I should not have ignored the discomfort on the first day but I was reluctant to stop.
If you do develop saddle sores, take it easy and give yourself time to heal. Continuing to ride with sores will likely make them worse.
From https://www.healthline.com/health/saddle-sores
But you prolly know most of this already.
It's possible (although not necessarily advisable) to work around an aching joint or tender muscle, but for a cyle tourer, the one area you can neither neglect nor ignore is this one. Time to seek medical attention? AND get some cycling-specific shorts, even if only for the time needed to get things sorted?
Otherwise the earlier part of this post might become irrelevant.

Given the distance remaining and the undoubted challenges yet to be faced, I suspect not. Metaphorically speaking, I imagine you're unlikely to be freewheeling for some while yet! However, has this realisation changed the way you think about the remainder?
I don't know!^_^
I have been looking forward to Colombia for a while, intensified in Panamá. My plan is to "enjoy every sandwich" in the wise words of Warren Zevon.
Truthfully, my head has been occupied with Iohan the last few days.
I'm still not thinking beyond Colombia at the moment so I'm not sure what that means!^_^

From https://www.healthline.com/health/saddle-sores
But you prolly know most of this already.
It's possible (although not necessarily advisable) to work around an aching joint or tender muscle, but for a cyle tourer, the one area you can neither neglect nor ignore is this one. Time to seek medical attention? AND get some cycling-specific shorts, even if only for the time needed to get things sorted?
Otherwise the earlier part of this post might become irrelevant.
Thanks for that. I do enjoy getting the pants scared off me!^_^

The thing is, this is more like a one off, unusual situation as opposed to a typical sore.
One advantage of a pandemic is that I have a spray bottle of alcohol to keep things clean and safe - but, man does it sting!!^_^
I've dug out my swimming trunks (actually a Lidl/Aldi type of cycling short with very thin padding). It's really to help the "good cheek" because the saddle is at an unusual angle.
The gauze seems to be doing a good job of protecting it during the day.
I'm monitoring things closely but so far so good.
All this stems from not paying enough attention to the saddle l alignment after the boat and not wanting to stop.

Surprisingly, I missed a buddy at the Panama Canal so I'd like to introduce Tig!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Day 745, Monday, September 27, 2021, Curumaní to Pelaya, 68 km Total KM 12348
Surely you could have stopped 3km earlier?

Glad you are heading south again, there is a much warmer, happier vibe to your posts now, likely reflecting your frame of mind since being in Colombia. (i find it fascinating that Panama and, especially, CR were less pleasant.).

Have enjoyed much of he local artwork.

Total aside, I have also been to Las Vegas....in New Mexico. Older than its more well-known 'mercan cousin, quieter too and sadly, not very interesting, so did not hang around.

Very happy to see your new companion, Tig!

Glad you are heading south again, there is a much warmer, happier vibe to your posts now, likely reflecting your frame of mind since being in Colombia. (i find it fascinating that Panama and, especially, CR were less pleasant.).

I think when push comes to shove that I'm not much of a cyclist at all. I'm just using a bike to get around and it tends to draw folks in.
Panamá not being bike friendly at all was never going to feature highly on my list of top places.
Costa Rica was more frustrating - so much to see but so little opportunity to stop.
Both places are very expensive and touristy. Because of Covid I had to buy an insurance policy for every day I was in CR. More often than not I felt I was a part of a long line of tourists. Genuine interactions were rare. That's just me.
I think I mentioned in a post that Costa Rica might be best done in a car or even campervan. Or possibly backpacking.
As a stand alone destination for a bike tour it could be great with enough time and a big enough budget.

And now Colombia...... After a kind of schizo start in Cartagena (you weren't wrong!) I'm settling into a nice little rhythm, I'm comfortable on the roads and while there's nothing like the goodwill evident in México or Honduras there's enough (and increasing) to keep me ticking along.

Have enjoyed much of he local artwork.
Yea. It is pretty special. It continues here in Colombia.

Total aside, I have also been to Las Vegas....in New Mexico. Older than its more well-known 'mercan cousin, quieter too and sadly, not very interesting, so did not hang around.
I've been to Reno! Wouldn't be in a hurry back ^_^

Very happy to see your new companion, Tig!
Yeah. Every now and then there are photos that are special. He goes in them.

Thanks for chatting!

I'm not much of a cyclist at all
NO, of course not...only 12,000+ km in 700+ days. Deffo no cyclist!

could be great with enough time and a big enough budget
Of course, but surely that’s true of anywhere!

settling into a nice little rhythm
That’s what we all like...whether touring Colombia or going down the shops.

there's nothing like the goodwill evident in México or Honduras
Except for all the truckers letting you have your space. And you never know what goodwill may befall you tomorrow.

Ride on!

NO, of course not...only 12,000+ km in 700+ days. Deffo no cyclist!
^_^
That's less than 20km a day! I'd clock up more at home!^_^
And if you heard me swearing up the hills it would confirm my perception!^_^
(Although in fairness, yesterday had practically no swearing and lots of positive exclamations).

Except for all the truckers letting you have your space. And you never know what goodwill may befall you tomorrow.
For the sake of clarity, it wasn't meant as a criticism, just an observation.
The last few days, especially in the hills, there are evermore positive vibes.
Folk clearly can't understand my swearing and take pity on my soaked, struggling presence^_^
But yes, the truck drivers are great and special mention to bus drivers too.

And I've just been told that my plan to avoid Bogotá is foolish - that I really should visit as it is wonderful for cyclists. What a dilemma!^_^

Top Bottom