Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
And I've just been told that my plan to avoid Bogotá is foolish - that I really should visit as it is wonderful for cyclists. What a dilemma.
I think I'd be torn too. It would seem that the city has made huge strides (or should that be pedal strokes?) in recent years to make cycling a more attractive proposition:
Right up your street?

However, it can't all be unicorns and rainbows though can it? Or maybe you might find it similar to La Cuidad de México? A tricky decision for sure.

I think I might be tempted to give it a try just to have the chance to experience the Cyclovía:
Such a unique institution, and devoted to cycling? I wouldn't want to miss that.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
A surging river flowing to where? Wouldn't it be fun to hop in a canoe and see what's around that bend?
Waterfalls were common, often hidden behind the flora.
Erm! :eek:

O
Oh @IaninSheffield where's your sense of adventure?^_^

This was waiting for me at the bottom of a hill the other day, along with a truck on my tail and a bus heading towards me....
A waterfall isn't the worst thing in the world!^_^

'Lots and lots of things are in bags that we would not expect. Water. Milk.'

Reminds me of when I first returned to north america and discovered milk could be bought in 2 litre (?) plastic bags. I wondered, "how the hell do you pour from that", when I realised you could purchase a jug to put the plastic bag into, snip a corner of the bag and it poured perfectly!
(Until you came to the end of the bag and the whole effing thing would fall out of the jug onto whatever you were pouring onto if you were not careful! Life is full of little learning experiences in a different environment!)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think I might be tempted to give it a try just to have the chance to experience the Cyclovía:

Such a unique institution, and devoted to cycling? I wouldn't want to miss that.
I'd love to read that. On the map, Bogota looks only to have Buenos Aires as serious competition for bike-friendliness in South America and I have not heard of a similar event there. Brasilia and Lima complete the first division on the map, with places like Rio in the next.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
There are many things I enjoy when reading The Big, Big Trip Journal: the quality and readability of the account; how much I learn about other peoples and lands; and then there's the improvement in my vocabulary. First there was 'figary'. Then
Sitting in the little Plaza he'd have conniptions because the pigeons fly low
and
Good Lord what a hames they made of it
which I initially assumed must have been a typo.
Which is why this one had me pondering for a good while
what seemed to be an unofficial dumoing spot
until it finally struck me!
Doh!

Alex321

Veteran
There are many things I enjoy when reading The Big, Big Trip Journal: the quality and readability of the account; how much I learn about other peoples and lands; and then there's the improvement in my vocabulary. First there was 'figary'. Then
Figary was new to me too, but I did know Conniptions.

And "Hames" I thought at first may have been the filter on this site, until I looked it up.

And yes, that last was a typo :smile:

Giron sounds like a lovely and interesting (in a good way) place to visit.

The old town of Girón is charming. Cobbled streets, narrow and steep between low, white buildings that are obviously under some kind of a protection or preservation system?
Could it have something to do with its Pueblo Patrimonio status?

Its all cos of his oirishness....

....regardless of how long he has lived elsewhere!!

and

which I initially assumed must have been a typo.
Which is why this one had me pondering for a good while

until it finally struck me!
Doh!
Phone, people, phone! And two fat thumbs! That's what this gets written up on!^_^

You've brought your own vocabulary in here too! Flaneur for one and I was particularly impressed with de-toured!

Interestingly, had I wanted to teach English in these parts I would be at a disadvantage (and a lower rate) in comparison to North Americans (USA & Canada, especially USA)! A higher value is placed on US English even though the whole world knows the Irish speak the best English^_^

I know I've used grá a few times. Does everyone understand that?

Now you're just showing me up!^_^
Go on, share Pueblo Patrimonio with the class!^_^

Hey, no intent to show you up. I thought you might have discovered it in your ‘research’! It’s all your fault for starting this tour and this thread and our education of lesser known places!

Now, is class paying attention. I just looked up the town, as I often do and as someone suggested upthread ages ago from the map and found it on wiki!

Linky here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo_Patrimonio_(Colombia)

Top Bottom