Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or 2 ;) ... any idea of its height ? :scratch:
No! :laugh::laugh:
Is there any evidence of the overhanging moss causing rockfalls – or is the road new enough that it's not an issue ?
I'm bemused!
How in the name of all that's holy am I supposed to know?:laugh::laugh:
Really enjoying your journey :bicycle: and your kindness in keeping us all in suspense ... :biggrin:
I'm confused..... What suspense?
Glad you're enjoying it (but not as glad as I am to be doing it^_^)
If you really are in Edinburgh you can stand me a pint or two of 80 shilling, preferably Alloa, the next time I pass through^_^

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Is there any evidence of the overhanging moss causing rockfalls – or is the road new enough that it's not an issue ?
How in the name of all that's holy am I supposed to know?:laugh::laugh:
Well, because in quite a few of your photos, there appear to have been mudslides (clear brown hillside visible) in the midst of roadside hill with moss growing, so I just wondered if the moss was helping to root the hillside on or the weight of the moss was bringing it down. If these links take one back to the photos, you might see what I mean ?
That's my road over there!
Whatever about the horizon there was lots on my side of the road to keep me amused too.
What were grey and vague down the road slowly became green and detailed
From the Trampoline Album:

I'm confused..... What suspense?
Yeah, me too :scratch: :crazy: – not sure what I was meaning to say ... :blush: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Well, because in quite a few of your photos, there appear to have been mudslides (clear brown hillside visible) in the midst of roadside hill with moss growing, so I just wondered if the moss was helping to root the hillside on or the weight of the moss was bringing it down. If these links take one back to the photos, you might see what I mean ?

From the Trampoline Album:
View attachment 623261

Yeah, me too :scratch: :crazy: – not sure what I was meaning to say ... :blush: :biggrin:
I can't imagine the weight of moss pulling anything down.
The moss initially referenced was hanging from overhanging rock - I'd be pretty sure that the rock was well tested or it would have been removed. This is earthquake country after all.

As regards landslides the content of the hillsides varies through the levels. I'd imagine in some cases the plant life growing on it gives some structural support and I could see in other cases that roots would allow for the ingress of water and the weakening of the mountain face over time.
There are lots of quarries where soil, sand and gravel are removed to make bricks as an example. These are often small because solid rock sandwiches the softer material that is extracted.

I know nothing about these things other than the moss is very atmospheric and I like looking at it^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
When he was finished and presented it to me for testing I told him he was an artist with his welding tools. It's a strange thing to see such a man, physically strong, dressed in dirty overalls, coated in sweat and grime from his work blush like a schoolgirl.
Your Spanish may now be receiving compliments, but are you sure you called him an artist? ;)

cwskas

Über Member

cwskas

Über Member
My plan was relatively simple. Explore the few villages along this road, enjoy the views and get a place to stay.
I love the idea of being in the clouds (even if that often means discomfort from being wet).
there's not a lot better than stopping and just ....... being.
I wanted to record this experience and just how content and relaxed I was.
Sometimes I actually cycled!^_^
I could read the contentment in your words, but it is a great picture! You have a lot for which to feel content, thankful, peaceful . . . !

cwskas

Über Member
There was an open area that seemed to be used as an open air museum.
What an interesting painting! Perhaps a couple who had lost a child.
Then he announced that he'd drive on to the Police, tell them where I was and they'd look after me. That was a good solution. I thanked them profusely and set off again.
Nervous now, I turned around at one stage then took some deep breaths and continued on bouncing slowly uphill
Wow, a lot to think about on this stage of the journey! And then discover you had no highway access. Maybe that is what everyone was trying to emphasize. But that wouldn't require police or explain Robert De Niro's concern.

cwskas

Über Member

cwskas

Über Member
Roccado was specifically chosen for two reasons - the type of bike he is means that there are clones (and thus spare parts) just about anywhere and the fact that he's steel means that in worst case scenarios he can be welded.

Today he got welded!

I have no idea how strong it is - he says as good as new - but I can now say that I've had my bike welded in a small town in South America.
And I still had time to enjoy the pool! ^_^
Good catch, which led to a fine chat with "an artist with his welding tools".

Nothing ventured nothing gained I pulled up and asked the pleasant lady on reception about the cost of their simplest room to discover that it was well in my budget! And it had a pool! A day relaxing? Sold!
Street art in the busy little town of El Bordo
Very relaxing, pastoral tones.

I could read the contentment in your words, but it is a great picture! You have a lot for which to feel content, thankful, peaceful . . . !
I sure do!😊
I'm thinking you haven't read the last post? I'm a bit rough after all the medication but it's Christmas and downtime so it could have been worse.

La Florida looked quite nice. The most recent towns seem to have brighter colors . . . almost like they are new instead of worn.
Those days the towns are "off the beaten track" and I'm thinking an attempt has been made to develop some tourism.
There's also a more pure (or less diluted) indigenous vibe to the places. I can't help but think that paint, colours and murals are an expression of that identity

What an interesting painting! Perhaps a couple who had lost a child.
Unfortunately what looks like an information board in the bottom left is blank so I can't comment. But isn't that the thing with art that we see that which affects us?

Wow, a lot to think about on this stage of the journey! And then discover you had no highway access. Maybe that is what everyone was trying to emphasize. But that wouldn't require police or explain Robert De Niro's concern.

I'm pretty sure I could have made it onto the highway by staying on the "road" (a very generous term) but by then, honestly, my nerves were fraying and I just wanted out of there.
I wasn't seeing anything I hadn't seen lots of times before but the warning was ringing loudly between my ears.

Parked turned away from the road and with a block in front of the tire! An experienced driver.

I'm impressed with the level of study you give to the pictures!^_^
Rocks are often used in lieu of handbrakes around here. And never, ever, e v e r get too close to the back of a truck or bus that is stopped in the road. Hill starts are not a great skill of the typical Latin driver^_^

Top Bottom