Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Happy New Year 2022 @HobbesOnTour!
May the road ahead be kind on you, may you always find a coffee vendor, may you never get the 'Rona ^_^
Thanks Pat😊
Clearly you've been absorbing my thoughts on coffee^_^
The road ahead leads me back to coffee country so I won't be complaining^_^
Avoiding Rabies is up there with the 'Rona at the moment.

Hoping you're having a Hoolie for Hogmanay and that 2021 gets kicked far away into touch if for no other reason it means your knee is back in form.

cwskas

Über Member
Silvia. It was another one of those places where I instantly felt comfortable despite being a clear outsider. It's a significant town, famous for a weekly market and traditional clothing still worn by the locals. A vivid blue, woolen cloak is the garment of choice and men wear a skirt to match!
Very rich color, seems almost purple.

And the murals are fantastic! I especially like this one which looks like it is tile instead of paint.

Nice picture with 2 ‘chicken buses‘ in the same shot!

And the murals are fantastic! I especially like this one which looks like it is tile instead of paint.
The link shows a chicken bus?
I think all the photos from Silvia are on brick/plaster.

Nice picture with 2 ‘chicken buses‘ in the same shot!
Thanks! I've been trying since Guatemala to get one with Roccado and a chicken bus. Two buses is progress!^_^

cwskas

Über Member
I especially like this one which looks like it is tile instead of paint.
Oops, here is the one I meant to reference.

img_20211227_171013-jpg.jpg

It looks almost like a mosaic to me.

cwskas

Über Member
I tracked down the same guy from earlier, explained the situation and was told to take a seat. A quarter of an hour later he was back, yes, they had the vaccine! Another quarter of an hour I was two thirds of the way through my rabies treatment and back on the street. This time there was no charge.
Patience. & persistence pays off again!
with more than 30km to go I was just a cork bobbing along in a surging río of traffic
Very descriptive!
I'm going to try to track down a homestay / Workaway place where I'll get a place to stay in return for labour. A coffee farm sounds idyllic😊
That would be nice. Maybe you could get one of those jobs shoveling gravel from pothole to pothole. :laugh:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
A very long sculpted mural (my verbal creation). Clearly coffee and the arrival of a train has had significant impact here. I think the detail, work and effort speak volumes and the focus on history is refreshing
Stunning work yet again ! :notworthy:
I wonder if there are state/council employ artists who do all these, as the "I :wub: [town name]" signs are all very, well similar, standards seem very high and do the folk in places like Mondomo... "a few houses scattered along a busy road "... really have someone with the necessary art skills ? :scratch:
The Plaza in Santander de Quilichao ...
Oh No :ohmy: – they missed a golden opportunity ! How cool would it have been to have the 3 sides showing the same inside figure, from the 3 different perspectives ? :thumbsup: ^_^

That second picture
View attachment 624634 ... looks Impressionist to me ... [but I know amazingly little about art ! :secret:]
There is always an interesting tree!
Now that's a well secured/rooted/anchored tree :thumbsup: Bring on the tornados – it's going nowhere ! :headshake:

Last edited:
Oops, here is the one I meant to reference.

View attachment 624676
It looks almost like a mosaic to me.
I thought that may be the one.....
It's actually painted on brick but there is a definite mosaic effect to it.

These murals are instantly noticable when I do a lap of the Plaza but it's only when I stop and give them a bit of time does it become clear just how much work, effort and thought has gone into them.

I wonder if there are state/council employ artists who do all these, as the "I :wub: [town name]" signs are all very, well similar, standards seem very high and do the folk in places like Mondomo... "a few houses scattered along a busy road "... really have someone with the necessary art skills ? :scratch:
I have no idea. I have noticed the same names on some paintings in different towns back aways. The sculpted murals are a relatively new phenomenon.
A bit like me not knowing one tree from another I just enjoy what I see and ask no questions😊

Oh No :ohmy: – they missed a golden opportunity ! How cool would it have been to have the 3 sides showing the same inside figure, from the 3 different perspectives ? :thumbsup: ^_^
I'm sorry I can't follow your train of thought here.

Now that's a well secured tree :thumbsup: Bring on the tornados – it's going nowhere !
Tornadoes aren't the problem...... Earthquakes, floods and landslides are!^_^

Since no-one has commented on Oso I want to highlight what I thought was a fabulous bit of art back at the restaurant.
Brutally difficult to photo without being 5 meters tall and not helped by a bright sun these are the best that I can do.

Logistically I think it's amazing.

Edit:
I just found this one online.....

Last edited:
@HobbesOnTour are you managing to post the pictures with the new software?
I read you mentioned having issues, all good now?
Ah, I just need to get used to the new format.
Previously the pictures were in a column and I could see them all in one look, now the thumbnails are larger but run across the page meaning I can only see three at a time. This makes it more difficult to select in the right order.

Also, when there's a problem uploading (say due to poor wifi cutting out) it's not immediately clear that there's a problem. The "old" system clearly showed the file name crossed out. I'm used to hitting "upload", putting the phone down and coming back in a while to see what was uploaded and what wasn't.

It works, I just need to get used to it. 😊

Top Bottom