Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I watched that t'other day – and thought of how much they were missing by dashing through and being time-constrained !
Your way of being totally immersed in the country and culture is much more to my liking.
That struck me too - going across the globe to spend three days. With the best will in the world that's no time at all to get a sense for a place. But it's a cycling channel and they're cyclists - the jury is still out on whether I'm one^_^ - and they went to cycle.

The fact is that those types of trips are going to become rarer and rarer at least until long distance travel becomes more eco friendly.

A number of people on here have commented on a renewed sense of exploration of their local areas in a Covid affected world.
Perhaps that's the future?

Is an exotic or "famous" location in the same category as the latest gadget or component to be acquired and checked off a wishlist? Or can we enjoy our cycling without the latest fashion, be that gadget or location?

Of course, that's very easy for me to say giving my extremely privileged location. 😊

Having said that, I'm not quite immersed in the culture unfortunately. I avoid the bars more for Covid precautions than anything else and my interactions are carefully chosen. If there's a market I visit, for example, it's when it's quiet.
But I'm doing my best! A girl told me the other day that I had to go to Bogotá - how could I have a sense of a country without visiting its Capital? She has a point but I'm loving my small town experiences.
Now that is contentment ... within and without. Zen, almost
Regulars here are probably sick to death of me commenting on threads about the importance of getting out and giving touring a try before investing heavily in a bike and all the gear. I think it's extremely important to know what you like to do - then equip yourself for that.
The bike wandering I enjoy now is a far, far cry from what I thought I'd enjoy when I first started cycling. And in places unimaginable back then.

There's other things too, though.
Would I have been so comfortable leaving a bike that cost two, three or four grand as I walked up to see if the place was open? And then be exposed, alone, on top of a Colombian ridge at night? I'd probably have opted for the hotel that Google told me was in San José. (It was incredibly steep and rough path up - not something I'd tackle in hope. Once I saw where I'd be camping it didn't seem quite so tough!^_^)

So yes, almost Zen - but like a duck gracefully gliding across a lake a hell of a lot of work practice went on under the surface to find out what I really enjoy and then to set myself up for it. After that it's all down to me.

netman

Veteran
One of my better decisions
img_20220108_073534-jpg.jpg
So stunning... were you not tempted to stay a while longer maybe? I think I might have still been there a month later!

So stunning... were you not tempted to stay a while longer maybe? I think I might have still been there a month later!
You know, I never even thought about it!

I did dally over my breakfast and decided to make the day shorter but the thought of staying another night didn't cross my mind.

Thinking about it now there would have been a trail of people up and down all day meaning I'd be pretty much stuck there. I'd have no doubt the guy in charge could be trusted but people and their dogs? Not so sure.

Sometimes it's better to have a beautiful time together and part before the flaws and irritations come to the surface😊

Besides, it was the perfect day for being on that road.

cwskas

Über Member
I'm thoroughly enjoying these days on the (relative) flat, the easy cycling, the regular towns and villages. Why? I'm not sure. There's an easyness, a comfort to it. No pressure. That'll change tomorrow when I start climbing again! But for now it's just about perfect.

Back on the pleasant road I turned off to San Francisco. I nearly didn't as it looked small but I doubled back and discovered a very long, well spread out village where just about everyone greeted me. Very pleasant.
Oooh! I like the road into/out of San Francisco. Very pretty & peaceful looking.

cwskas

Über Member
With height came the views. With the views came the loon face. . . . There are few things more satisfying than cycling up and looking down on clouds snagging on mountains. I love it!
I found myself asking myself just why these towns speak to me so much as I laboured up and away. Is it the town itself or my own state of mind? Probably somewhere in the middle.
I enjoyed the last few days with the easy cycling and the town visits but this was a different kind of touring. Soaked and dripping I was literally immersed in the environment.
I don't travel light and I sweat (and frequently swear^_^) climbing but an evening like this is why I carry what I do. I could camp. I could feed myself. I could make coffee and share it. I could be comfortable. I could relax.
Excellent narrative in these last few posts. Very descriptive and fine pictures.

cwskas

Über Member
This part of the trip is a gift to myself. I chose this area, I chose this route. It's not distance, nor meters nor destination that count but enjoyment. How cool is it that on the other side of the world, in a huge country that I don't really know I can pick an area and head for it and not be disappointed. It's both comfortably familiar yet incredibly exotic. This is my choice, for me, and I'm loving it!
It's a bit strange. I'm heading in the opposite direction that I wanted to go, I'm coming to the end of this Big, Big Trip yet the dark cloud that I've been expecting to descend any day now is nowhere on the horizon.
Many miles, many experiences, many pictures . . . I think this trip you have taken us on will stick with many of us for a long time.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I think this one might illustrate the steep streets (and the epic views)
Yes. It does.

Perfectly. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :surrender::surrender:
I just wasn't feeling it this morning.
The advantage of travelling solo - I can stop and get my head together.
It requires a lot of mental strength to cycle/sail/walk/whatever solo for so-o-o long and still be enjoying it. You've obviously found out how you need to get yourself in the right frame of mind to go on and still enjoy it. :notworthy::notworthy:
It only comes with experience and practice.
...because everyone stared at me from tiny kids to old folks but they were quick to smile and wave.
Do you (the penguin*) usually initiate the "smile and wave ^_^ :hello:" or do the locals ? It's always a great ice-breaker/peace-maker either way – as is saying "Hi" to children. :thumbsup:

* 'Madagascar' film reference there... ;)
... I felt privileged to get to be a part of it for a little while. And it is right to say "a part of it". People spoke to me, included me. Were interested in me.
Mutual respect and interest is a wonderful thing – sadly more usually found in less "sophisticated"/rural places. :sad:
A surprise restaurant ..... That was my cue to move on.
Your own special show :dance:– how do you manage these things ? :notworthy:
It's very nice to be able to help, to give something back to this wonderful country.
That's the Traveller, not the Tourist, speaking. :thumbsup:

Still loving your Reports. :wub:
Thank you so much for them all. :hugs:

Do you (the penguin*) usually initiate the "smile and wave ^_^ :hello:" or do the locals ? It's always a great ice-breaker/peace-maker either way – as is saying "Hi" to children. :thumbsup:
I invariably arrive with a big smile on my face. I think that helps^_^
(Never seen Madagascar😊)
Mutual respect and interest is a wonderful thing – sadly more usually found in less "sophisticated"/rural places. :sad:
I think it's quite simple; in a small place everyone local knows I'm a stranger. The usual response is welcoming but there have been places where that was absent.

Your own special show :dance:– how do you manage these things ? :notworthy:
I keep my eyes open^_^

This bike touring lark it's really not rocket science, you know :laugh:

cwskas

Über Member
the random "white trees" scattered around. I can't explain it but I love 'em
Have you identified the name of these trees. I am not sure I have gotten a very good view of them yet. They seem to always be hiding among many other trees.
now the air was filled with different scents drifting in the wind. And birds. Lots of chattering and singing birds.
Singing cascades, scents, birds . . . sounds fantastic!
A bird house for pigeons. An appalling idea that I loved for some strange reason
I bet you did not sit under this tree to write up your notes? :laugh:

Have you identified the name of these trees. I am not sure I have gotten a very good view of them yet. They seem to always be hiding among many other trees.
I haven't. And the thing is I have no urge to find out. 😊

They are exceedingly difficult to capture in a photo precisely because they are hiding amongst all the other trees - that's their very attraction for me. There's something wonderfully random and defiant about them (and the yellow ones previously).

The other thing is that they're really only strongly contrasting at distance - up close they're not nearly so impressive nor prominent.

I'll try and keep an eye out for a decent shot.

That will be on the test at the end of the course!

Oooh! A test!! Now there's an idea!!^_^

Q1 What should a touring cyclist do on encountering a drain?
A. Dismount and walk around it
B. Ride happily into it
C. Listen to that internal voice telling you to stay in a magical place, turn around and postpone the decision for a day

Q2. Those horses that you can see are they
A. Nicaraguan horses in Honduras
B. Honduran horses in Nicaragua
C. Latino horses

Q3. When one gets lost and inadvertently dors a big loop arriving back where they started from should one
A. Sulk in room
B. Go and get a coffee from pretty barista
C. Never admit that it happened

Any more suggestions?
These are important topics^_^

cwskas

Über Member
Oooh! A test!! Now there's an idea!!^_^

Q1 What should a touring cyclist do on encountering a drain?
A. Dismount and walk around it
B. Ride happily into it
C. Listen to that internal voice telling you to stay in a magical place, turn around and postpone the decision for a day

Q2. Those horses that you can see are they
A. Nicaraguan horses in Honduras
B. Honduran horses in Nicaragua
C. Latino horses

Q3. When one gets lost and inadvertently dors a big loop arriving back where they started from should one
A. Sulk in room
B. Go and get a coffee from pretty barista
C. Never admit that it happened

Q1. A. Dismount and walk around it

Q2. C. Latino horses <<< sounds like it will cover either of the other possibilities

Q3. B. Go and get a coffee from pretty barista <<< sounds like it is a good choice for many questions!

cwskas

Über Member
it was pretty, very pretty at times - the experience wasn't pretty.
It sounds like quite the adventure.

was disappointed because the vegetation all around seemed to become even more dense and interesting but I had no time to stop and appreciate it. I was aware of a real sense of loss - that I'd expended all this effort and was now going as fast as I could through the rewards and not really able to even look at it properly.
Too bad you couldn't enjoy it properly. I suppose tomorrow you could ride back up 20 km and then back down 20km in the daylight!
. . . and be rewarded with another night "in touristy hell!!."

I have to hand it to the Colombians - when they talk of equality through road building they really mean it! Ríosucio and Jardín have the same length of surfaced road!
:laugh:

I flew! I had one objective, and only one - coffee!

. . . from a pretty barista?

Too bad you couldn't enjoy it properly. I suppose tomorrow you could ride back up 20 km and then back down 20km in the daylight!
. . . and be rewarded with another night "in touristy hell!!."
Oh Willy! Don't be a silly billy!^_^

I think you may have forgotten a couple of things......
1. I must be the laziest energy conserving bike tourist in the worlds...... And
2. I'm in Colombia. Colombia never disappoints! Around the next bend, over the next hill there's always something to amaze me ^_^

Top Bottom