Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for brake photos, helped me imagine how many Km’s they covered and the extreme terrain; just makes your trip a bit more “real” seeing wear and tear.

By the by, why did you ditch the trailer? It’s been a recurring thought and then you mentioned it in your post.
The wear and tear on the brakes is more accurately described as user error^_^

I thought I mentioned the trailer before, but anyway .....

When I set off from CDMX I had no idea how far I'd get. There was a risk of having to hightail it out of states or regions that might be going into lockdown and necessitating using public transport. The trailer could be a hindrance for that.

I also didn't expect to be taking too many backroads. For safety and security I thought that bigger roads would be better so less need for the trailer.

If I was to continue south I imagined using a plane to skip over parts (Central America) and the trailer would be a costly extra to have.

When I set off there was definitely a feeling of trepidation. I could have been back in CDMX in a matter of weeks.
As we now know things weren't nearly so bad as I feared.
There's a book title in there "The Bike Tour: Not nearly as scary as we might think!" ^_^

Those last 3 posts, extreme travelling, what a trip!
Thanks, Charles, but let's be honest here:blush:
That was one of the dumbest things I've ever done and that's from quite a large and deep pool of dumb things^_^

I am impressed with myself though for not panicking and being able to work through it and come out the other side.

What a day - Day 856 - that was. Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers. Well done for getting to the other side.
Sorry Charles but I have to ask ....

You "liked" the post with a "sad" emoji.... Can I ask why?
I don't class it as a sad day at all. The two Cowboys dominate all the negativity of the experience so in my book it's a fantastic day.

A full accounting of the cost will be coming up in a few days though^_^

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Whoever sang "Mommas don't let your sons grow up to be Cowboys" has obviously never been to Colombia
I suspect that somewhere out there, iohan is looking down, delighted at your resilience on this adventure within an adventure. Personally, I'm also delighted that I'm experiencing it from a comfortable, dry, ant- and tic-free sofa, from which a few snake- and (mostly) spider-free strides will take me to a tap from which I can draw fresh water and turn it into a cup of coffee in mere moments.
But then, nor do I have the inspirational, rejuvenative sights, sounds and smells from which a true adventurer might continually draw heart.:notworthy:

As you trudged back and forth, back and forth with panniers, bags and bike, I wonder how often the demon on one shoulder took delight in reminding you of Remi's set up. :rolleyes:

As you trudged back and forth, back and forth with panniers, bags and bike, I wonder how often the demon on one shoulder took delight in reminding you of Remi's set up
:laugh::laugh:

Very little, actually^_^

Of course the thought crossed my mind but it didn't get bogged down or remain to taunt me. With that setup I'd have been rightly up the creek as night fell.

I also wasn't too hard on myself for not turning around when I ran out of road.

For someone who for years had a nasty, shrill little fecker mouthing off into my ear it's a pleasant change.

You asked a long time ago now about changes on the trip.....
This is one of them. Those internal demons have shut up. They say their piece and then I hear no more.

CharlesF

Guru
Sorry Charles but I have to ask ....

You "liked" the post with a "sad" emoji.... Can I ask why?
I don't class it as a sad day at all. The two Cowboys dominate all the negativity of the experience so in my book it's a fantastic day.

A full accounting of the cost will be coming up in a few days though^_^
Fat Finger Syndrome, says it all!

Should have been “Loved It”. I will change it.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
But the view!!! The road and river are what I have to reach
:eek::eek::eek:. They are a l-o-o-ong way down there – but what a view; there are probably only a handful of people alive who have seen that same view ! :wahhey:
... there are only a few brave/daft /lost enough ... :secret:

What an incredible day or three ! :training:
CHAPEAU SIR ! :notworthy::notworthy:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Blimey Hobbes, those last few entries and those dirt trails, looks like we may make a proper adventure cyclist out of you yet! *

This was the lowest moment of the past couple of days. Already a bit out of sorts from the cool reception at the house (a couple of hours ago but only a couple of hundred meters away) this was like the last straw. Up to this point I'd been calm, stoic and not letting my emotions run away with me. Now I could feel them gathering strength and preparing to break out. That wasn't what I wanted. There was no place to stop and lean the bike so I picked a rock in the field and told myself to stay calm until there. I heaved and dragged and slipped to the rock and had a smoke and a chat with myself.
I could really empathise with this, I've been in that place myself more than once, though that euphoric feeling when you emerge the other side and look back with a good coffee in your hand, has kept me returning for more unplanned adventures.

The photos and writing from Columbia have really been quite inspiring, I wish I could drop everything and fly out to experience those trails and that amazing country myself, you've really opened up my eyes to a stunning part of the world.

*I hope you realise I had my tongue planted firmly in my cheek when I typed that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Blimey Hobbes, those last few entries and those dirt trails, looks like we may make a proper adventure cyclist out of you yet! *
:laugh:
Someday I'll get there!^_^ This has been a pretty tame couple of years after all^_^.
We never know what will happen in the next few days......
The photos and writing from Columbia have really been quite inspiring
Thank you.
Genuinely, that's the greatest compliment I can get
I wish I could drop everything and fly out to experience those trails and that amazing country myself, you've really opened up my eyes to a stunning part of the world.
It's always good to have something to aim for. This used to be the Big, Big Dream^_^
A bike packing rig would be pretty perfect though.^_^
I hope this Colombia obsession of yours doesn't mean I'll have to avoid northern Germany for ever more because Frau Woody wants to throttle me!
*I hope you realise I had my tongue planted firmly in my cheek when I typed that!
Don't worry^_^

cwskas

Über Member
Being right handed I walked on the left of the bike on the edge of a stiff drop. Slow and slippy. Progress was very, very slow. The walking over and back had made the path slippier for the most awkward load. Lesson learned.

The next stage the bike went first but the same pattern was followed. It felt like progress was faster because I was always moving but it was hard work. Fully loaded downhill, slipping and sliding back up to repeat the process. I was not a good advertisement for the joys of bike touring!^_^
What a descriptive account of the process.

This was where a hummingbird came over to check out the Feckin' eejit
I choose to think it was there to encourage you on your efforts!

It wasn't all doom, gloom, mud and blood. There was some incredible, wild beauty around me. I developed my "system" so that when every stage was completed I'd sit and rest. . . . On one such occasion, surrounded by what can only be described as jungle I was treated to a wonderful choir of birdsong. I know I've mentioned birds chattering and twittering as I go past but this felt different. This was singing. A chorus. Joyful and happy all the more precious because the source was invisible and seemed to be spread over a wide area. I couldn't help but feel that this was for me.
More encouragement!

Oh how my heart leapt for joy when I saw this fine example of road engineering
:laugh: It is all a matter of perspective!

Osmand was right about something! This would lead me down to the main road. I'd been travelling 6.5 hours to get here, a distance of less than 4km.
But that is probably the fastest anyone has done that segment on a loaded bike!

Damn but it was hard. . . . I struggled.
Then I had another chat with myself and told myself my head was on wrong. I shouldn't be looking for what was wrong, what was hard, I should be looking at what I'd done. That's when I realised that I hadn't expressed any gratitude for getting out of a sticky mess. I had a look around, thought about where I had been, thought about where I'd be without those two, kind men and I whooped once in gratitude, once for joy. (I had no more energy!)
That is what the birds sang, I am sure!

Near death experience aside the encounter lifted my spirits for the last stretch. I took the turnoff and left the highway behind now on a simple two laner alongside the Río Cauca.
Definitely getting pretty close to earning that Explorer/Adventurer badge! :dance:

Well done!

Top Bottom