Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cwskas

Über Member
Can I ever go back to NL after this?^_^
How many Km would it take to match the climbing you have done in Columbia? Just a hypothetical thought.

The mighty Roccado! Battered but not broken still taking me higher and higher
Roccado might be ready for a vacation somewhere. Maybe a cycle spa, some place he can dream of downhills on smooth roads.

Maybe I'm the laziest bike tourist of them all, maybe I'm going a little crazy but I can stand at the side of the road and be lost in these scenes. The jags, the crags, the valleys, the peaks. It's a visual orchestral performance
Clearly not crazy . . . at least not all the time! ^_^ As you often point out, the breaks allow you to really take in the location and take lots of pictures.

This touring thing is tougher than it looks!
:notworthy:

The road to the Casa de Ciclistas
I looked up the bike shop and Casa on the internet after you mentioned them a few posts back. Looks like a great place to stay. Maybe you can hear about some of what you missed this time in Ecuador.

I also plotted a route from La Pintada to the cycle shop on Osmand, for practice.

How many Km would it take to match the climbing you have done in Columbia? Just a hypothetical thought.
With the exception of Limburg on the German/Belgian border and a few hills around Arnhem NL is the proverbial cycling pancake. I'd be cycling the rest of my days to match the climbing^_^
(Not taking the Dutch headwinds into account^_^)
Roccado might be ready for a vacation somewhere. Maybe a cycle spa, some place he can dream of downhills on smooth roads.
Sounds good for me too!^_^
Clearly not crazy . . . at least not all the time! ^_^
There's a vote of confidence!^_^
I also plotted a route from La Pintada to the cycle shop on Osmand, for practice.
Ah, you should try from Jericho and see what it throws up!^_^

cwskas

Über Member
I also text chatted with Remi, the French bikepacker. He's getting ready to do the Trampoline tomorrow. I'm jealous! And also a little nervous - it's my recommendation. He also did the loop outside of Pasto that I had recommended and loved it. He's given me a couple of tips too for further down the road. I sent him a picture from my "adventure on the mountain" and think I've earned bikepacking legendary status^_^.
You think he will try the 'adventure on the mountain" route?

Picking these roads I have no idea what I'm in for but I'm making sure I'm enjoying every single moment
What an excellent idea and well practiced! I am usually on roads I travel with some regularity in the car, but they are different on the trike, especially when I can catch them with little or no traffic. I also love the sounds of the birds and which I could figure out how to image them.

Maybe I'm becoming sensible!
This sounds like a good time for a poll! :rolleyes:

Best of all I got to go past and under my "road of trees" ...... Again!
I really like the canopy of trees over the road.

All the work is done by hand so everything is so tranquil and peaceful. Only walking or cycling are the ways to properly appreciate the scene and the sounds. You'll never hear the sound of a machete in a car!
That picture is amazing. The care taken to cultivate that field is quite evident!

Remember .... This was my second choice road!:laugh:
One of the best shots you have gotten which can somewhat display the breadth of the view!

Now let me see if I can figure out how to do a poll . . .

You think he will try the 'adventure on the mountain" route?
:laugh: I'm thinking not! He did my route in reverse....... But stuck to the roads^_^
Now let me see if I can figure out how to do a poll . . .
^_^
You and your polls!

But here's a question for a poll.......
I'm thinking of taking a figary near Popoyan (what kind of figary involves thinking ahead?^_^) that would bring me close to the road to Mocoa.......
Should I consider doing the Trampoline again? :becool:

Glad you're enjoying the photos!

netman

Veteran
Should I consider doing the Trampoline again?
Depends really! Do you feel you have unfinished business there? How much did you love it first time? I'd be worried that it wouldn't be the same a second time, but then, it may even be better...

Depends really! Do you feel you have unfinished business there? How much did you love it first time? I'd be worried that it wouldn't be the same a second time, but then, it may even be better...
I have zero unfinished business there! That was a dream coming true right under my ass.

I loved it the first time, despite the hard work. But I was incredibly lucky with the weather.

I'm afraid too that it wouldn't be the same. Let's not forget that it's bloody tough and not a little dangerous too.

The thing is that to get to Pasto (and from there to Ecuador) I only have two road options - both of which I've done before.
Either way I'm going to be covering "old ground".

What a feckin' dilemma!:laugh:

netman

Veteran
The thing is that to get to Pasto (and from there to Ecuador) I only have two road options - both of which I've done before.
Either way I'm going to be covering "old ground".
In that case I'd let the old legs decide myself ^_^... if they're good then maybe the trampoline... not so good then the easier road - tongue firmly in cheek there as I'm not sure there are many 'easy' roads in Columbia by the sounds of it!

Whichever way you decide I wish you a safe journey and as Joe Barr says "Your life, all your experiences, can appear in a single pedal stroke. You move it all forward when you move the bike forward." :okay:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm thinking of taking a figary near Popoyan (what kind of figary involves thinking ahead?^_^) that would bring me close to the road to Mocoa.......
Should I consider doing the Trampoline again? :becool:
It's something only you can decide of course..

If you did want to traverse it again I'm sure you'd have a great deal of support and encouragement from those of us half a world away.:thumbsup:

cwskas

Über Member
Am I the laziest bike tourist ever or am I doing this right?
I appreciate and enjoy your approach.

I don't recall seeing someone as pale.
🙂 That is because I had long sleeves and tights!

A bit wild, a bit tamed. What a place to live!
the countryside was just so damn perfect!
Your photos from this day are fantastic and support your enthusiasm.

My miles per day are crap for a "bike tourist" but my smiles per mile are sky high!
Smiles per mile . . . Might be a good title for a new journey. 🤔

I stopped and savoured. Moved 50 meters and repeated the process. I'm coming to the end of coffee country and I'm feeling it. I can't explain it, it kicks my ass on a regular basis but there is something about this area that doesn't just speak to me, it sings to me.
🎶 🎶 🎶

Top Bottom