Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In México yesterday an articulated truck rolled over killing 53 migrants in the back.
I saw this in one of the weekend newspapers. In addition to having similar thoughts, I wondered how the driver managed to flip an artic truck over on what appeared to a wide, dry road albeit on a slight curve. And the report stated he scarpered too. Tragic.

"I can't help but think that there are a lot of societies that could do with an infusion of the basic humanity I've witnessed and experienced again and again."
Oh how so, so true.

"Dying in a dark trailer after tipping over on a road is a risk that many will still take."
I am not sure they were aware the truck might be flipped on its side! But yes, plenty of other risks too. And this happens all over, on a daily basis. Close to home, the risks taken by the folk who have managed to get from where they have escaped from, to the north french to coast and then cross the english channel to what they hope is a better life in the UK, must also be staggering. I struggle to imagine the horrors of what they have left behind and makes me think how privileged we are.

Looking forward to reading/seeing Las Lajas!

p.s. can someone pls let me know I can take multiple quotes from one thread, e.g. the Big Trip Journal, to another, e.g. here, without copying and pasting as I have above. Ta.

cwskas

Über Member
can someone pls let me know I can take multiple quotes from one thread, e.g. the Big Trip Journal, to another, e.g. here, without copying and pasting as I have above.

Highlight the text you want to quote, click +Quote in the bottom right of the post, repeat for other texts you want to quote.
Navigate to the box where you want to make the quotes, choose Insert Quotes, and finally Quote Message from the pop up.

Thank you for asking the question, @Shadow and for the answer @IaninSheffield. I have used that feature before, but had forgotten how. I just tested and had 19 accumulated quotes waiting for me to insert them! :laugh:

cwskas

Über Member
Visibility was unhindered and I felt like I could see forever

Everything seemed so alive, so vital, myself included! There were whoops of joy many, many times

The landscape never stopped amazing me
I wasn't in the least bothered about doubling back - this was a bright, shiny new world for me to explore
What a difference a little light makes! Such great pictures!

Retracing one's steps (pedal strokes?) rarely holds much appeal, but on this occasion ... wow! An inspired decision/whim.
It really was! And I have no idea where it came from!
Hence the 9 pages of photos😊

Of course, I have no idea what I missed on "the road not taken". Maybe I'll have to go back^_^

Oh! I forgot to put in that I picked up my lock at the hotel and had a nice chat with the lady and the lady from the general/hardware store too. A day that could have been so dark and depressing turned out to be anything but.

Close to home, the risks taken by the folk who have managed to get from where they have escaped from, to the north french to coast and then cross the english channel to what they hope is a better life in the UK, must also be staggering. I struggle to imagine the horrors of what they have left behind and makes me think how privileged we are.
Agreed.

I don't want to veer too much into NACA territory but one of the real problems with the polarisation so common these days is the lack of thought that is given to "the other side" of the argument.

"They are all X. They just want Y" is far too simple for such complex issues.
"Why?" is often the most important word for gaining understanding but is often abused.

I've received several warnings from locals to be careful of "The Venezuelans" and I've encountered them on long, lonely stretches of road. Invariably they are either friendly and supportive or sullen and withdrawn. When you see an entire family shuffling along the roadside, belongings strapped to buggies, shopping trolleys and homemade carts in plastic bags it's easy to understand why some would be sullen.

Between San Juan and Ipiales there is a refugee/migrant help station for these people. Seemingly in the middle of nowhere yet a long line of people along the road attest to its necessity.

Not that long ago Venezuela was a pretty decent place to live by Latin American standards. Now there is a long line of Venezuelans traipsing north and south through the Latin world with no more than they can carry.
If the Government changed tomorrow a huge proportion of the population are gone - rebuilding will be so much more difficult.

There's an entire section of the Colombian Immigration website given over to helping Venezuelans so it's not all bad news.
The Spanish conquest and subsequent struggle for Independence has created a bond between countries that is perhaps uncommon in the world I'm more familiar with.

Since the accident the Mexican President has called on the US to do more to prevent the exodus from Central America by providing relief and investment.
Looking at the bigger picture, China is applying pressure (or offering incentives if you prefer) on Central American countries to "unrecognise" Taiwan.
The big countries play their games and people suffer.

cwskas

Über Member
@HobbesOnTour In case you didn’t see it, @Dave 123 posted a fine tree picture on the your ride today thread.
b2e8b8cf-60b4-4606-b532-3fbf9dafde63-jpeg.jpg

Top Bottom