Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for all the comments^_^

do you ever take time to look and think "Wow – I've just cycled up that ???
All the time!^_^ And sometimes not even big hills^_^
I still get a thrill at looking at @netman 's map. I am very impressed with myself😊
I can't keep writing it down though^_^

to be fair, not everyone can have or make the time to be the Traveller. Many just don't have the time/flexibility in their lives to be able to take off and do as you are doing and "a marathon or ...(a) triathlon or do *one of those obstacle courses that involves lots of mud and tears*" is as much adventure/ challenge as they have time/ inclination/ courage/ nerves to do.
Families are great ... but also change one's priorities/ requirements/ desire for adventure
I didn't mean to come across as critical or that one way is better than another.
And I am very well aware that not everyone can do what I have been able to do. I'm very lucky and a little brave (or foolish - the jury's still out^_^)

I think I was perhaps clumsily, trying to make the point that there's more to these experiences than just riding the road and hitting the peaks. (I just rode a road that I rate as tougher than the Alto de Letras - but no-one has put a sign up on it!).
The implication being that any road can be as "special" or as rewarding as the Trampoline.

I'd imagine that over there right now there's a lot of frustrated bike tourists chomping at the bit to get out and away.
It need not be somewhere exotic or "famous". A day or two jaunt around the local area can be just as rewarding personally if approached in the right state of mind. It won't check off any peaks, it might look boring on Social Media, friends and family might think you're nuts but personally? It can be as rewarding as you want it and allow it to be.

I could sell a tour to people by emphasising the meters climbed on a famous road, the top level bike they'd use and the spa day at the end. I'd go out of business trying to sell a tour to people telling them of the trees they'd make friends with^_^

As for the triathlons and things I was just amused at myself. I'd never consider such a thing yet happily set off into extreme discomfort for "my" thing.
Just sitting here over a coffee I'm thinking that it may be that a triathlon/marathon/mudfest requires "training" and that word leaves me cold.
I'll practice as much as I can but training? No thanks! That sounds unpleasant.

Maybe being solo, interested and courteous makes the difference ? Also this…:
Honestly? I think it's my big, dumb grin that does it, even through a facemask.
A few years ago I was severely chastised on a different forum for commenting on yet another gear list that no-one ever included a smile. It's the most important thing in my world.

There will not be a Report. :headshake:
If I can include failed midnight runs (:laugh:) to the bathroom then surely you can give a brief account?^_^

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The famed "cellphone tower #2". And I cycled up to it!
Ooops - I just answered my earlier question ! :laugh:
At the end of the day I had a profound sense of gratitude. I had completed day one successfully and safely.
... and fearful of a night alone with this pack I headed back out into the weather.
"Single Irish Americas Traveller scared of a Few Women" headline ? :rofl:
Somehow, I suspect there is more to this than you're telling ... and it's best left that way ! :secret:
No railing and a recent landslide. All roads should be like this!^_^
I've been trying to work out if you were mostly (meant to be) riding on the Mountain side of the road ... or the Drop-to-Your-Death side ? Or was it one going up and t'other going down ? :scratch:

I didn't mean to come across as critical or that one way is better than another.
My apologies :blush:, I wasn't intending to be at all critical of you, just the realities of life make it more difficult for many folk, who are unable to fulfil their on-the-road dreams. :bicycle:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I passed the only hotel in town and continued up the hill to the little Plaza and church. I struggled to find a coffee and was struggling to feel comfortable.
Isn't it interesting how one develops a 'feel' for a place – good or bad, relaxed or uneasy, friendly or not ?
You should be well tuned by now ! :laugh:

"Single Irish Americas Traveller scared of a Few Women" headline ? :rofl:
Somehow, I suspect there is more to this than you're telling ... and it's best left that way ! :secret:
:laugh::laugh:

I've been trying to work out if you were mostly (meant to be) riding on the Mountain side of the road ... or the Drop-to-Your-Death side ? Or was it one going up and t'other going down ? :scratch:

With the switchbacks it was both although the steepest drops tended to be on day one and early day two.
In truth with traffic generally bunched together I could choose my side most of the time. At the start that was cliffside (opposite of drop side) irrespective of the road condition. As time went one it was whatever side was easiest for riding. If stopping, I invariably pulled up cliffside because starting off tended to be wobbly.

My apologies :blush:, I wasn't intending to be at all critical of you, just the realities of life make it more difficult for many folk, who are unable to fulfil their on-the-road dreams. :bicycle:
I didn't see any criticism. I tend to evangelise when it comes to bike travel and sometimes my words can be stronger than I meant.

Isn't it interesting how one develops a 'feel' for a place – good or bad, relaxed or uneasy, friendly or not ?
You should be well tuned by now ! :laugh:
There is that, but also a lot is in our heads.
Santiago had a smaller, bleaker, colder Plaza and coffee was hard to find. Straight away it was behind Colón. That would have affected my mood and my mood would have affected my impression of the place.

cwskas

Über Member
The implication being that any road can be as "special" or as rewarding as the Trampoline.
We often find what we are looking for, IMO, be it doom or delight! So much can be found in the situations in which we find ourselves. What we focus on matters.

I am particularly fond of your observation that a headwind at least keeps you cool! That illustrates for me your general attitude toward your travels.

It can be as rewarding as you want it and allow it to be.

a smile. It's the most important thing in my world.
:okay:

Last edited:

cwskas

Über Member
Once more I can vouch for the mental benefits of solo cycling. I had been really struggling with the wording of my brother's eulogy, but found the words just came to me as I pounded away today. I always find that, in the bad times, cycling either gives you the opportunity to think things over, or it lets you completely let go and clear your mind. Today it was the former.

I thought the above quote to be quite well said and appropriate to the recent discussion.

I am particularly fond of your observation that a headwind at least keeps you cool! That illustrates for me your general attitude toward your travels.
:laugh:
I have a vivid recollection of a day's cycling home from outside of Utrecht after a night camping in heavy rain. As I headed south the wind blowing north was brutal! A puncture was a blessed relief for a while.
I zigged, I zagged but the wind got me at every turn.
If you'd met me that day you wouldn't have such a rosy picture of my attitude to headwinds^_^

We often find what we are looking for, IMO, be it doom or delight! So much can be found in the situations in which we find ourselves. What we focus on matters.
That's very true.
Travelling solo, though, we only have ourselves to help keep on the right track.
Sometimes when we're not finding what we are looking for it helps to take a step back and reassess just what we are looking for.
It's a habit that is worth cultivating - looking for the small details that can help reconstruct the bigger picture.

I climb 1000 meters and just before the descent the heavens don't just open they are overwhelmed with water!
At least I've good internet to read this article
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...pher-then-i-stayed-home-and-my-world-expanded

A little explanation on the joys of cycling close to home.
I think the subject is a member here?
Also, I think there's a thread here somewhere but navigationally challenged me can't find it😊

I climb 1000 meters and just before the descent the heavens don't just open they are overwhelmed with water!
At least I've good internet to read this article
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...pher-then-i-stayed-home-and-my-world-expanded

A little explanation on the joys of cycling close to home.
I think the subject is a member here?
Also, I think there's a thread here somewhere but navigationally challenged me can't find it😊
Yup, that's hoopdriver. Start here.

Top Bottom