Chat Zone for The Big Big Trip Journal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I didn't realize it's been almost a year since you came back from the BBT!
Neither did I until you mentioned it! :eek::eek: It has been a very fast year!
The mural you are so enthusiastic about gives me the creeps, so I decided to do a wee Google.

Thank you for digging into it. Sorry for giving you the creeps ^_^

It's interesting how we all can interpret things differently.

Opening your link and seeing the mural minus the context and more "straight on" it does look a bit disturbing. It's nice, though, to get an insight into the artist's intentions.

Thank you!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This is becoming the Spanish Figary chat zone too ^_^
Post #34 of the Spanish Figary, you said:
I had to enhance this because of all the sun and shade in the wrong places, but the colours are authentic. I'm sure the reality would be hell but what a building to live in! ^_^
I'm pretty sure that building used to be a minaret, from the top the Mullah calls to prayer at the prescribed times.
I have slept near one of them in Cyprus, was not impressed to be wakened up at dawn by the Mullah's cry!
I guess that nowadays those buildings are a bit redundant, a reminder for prayers can be set on one's phone.

This is becoming the Spanish Figary chat zone too ^_^
^_^
I don't mind! I'm happy to chat anywhere ^_^

I'm pretty sure that building used to be a minaret, from the top the Mullah calls to prayer at the prescribed times.
Thank you!
I didn't think of that, but it makes a lot of sense. As I've wandered around the history can be seen in the architecture, especially the Muslim/Moorish influence.
It's one of those things that I "knew" but didn't quite understand until I was slapped in the face with it. On the one hand that makes me the worst kind of traveller, but on the other it means that I really get a lot out of my travels ^_^
From what I've read, the Muslims were far more tolerant to the Christians during their time in charge rather than vice versa.
I have slept near one of them in Cyprus, was not impressed to be wakened up at dawn by the Mullah's cry!
Were you not grateful for the opportunity offered to make your man a good breakfast? :laugh: (All that extra time to dice, not slice!)

I stumbled upon your account of your drop everything and ride adventure this morning.
I started reading and have only just realised it's already the afternoon and I haven't been on my ride yet.
Enjoying it so far...

I'll take that as a compliment so thank you very much :blush:
I have to say that I'm working my way slowly through it, for the first time as a reader rather than a poster. Of course, each day I have a load of extra photos to fire up the memory process but if it doesn't make me too much of a dick ...... I'm really enjoying it too ^_^

You can take your time, though - it's not going anywhere - and the sequel is already in production ^_^

Not for the first time I'll say that recording each day, even the most basic of notes to complement photos is a really great way of cementing the memories in my mind. Reading it I can squint a little bit and feel just like I did on the day. Now, much later, that's very valuable.

And the little community here was a very important part of the journey too.

Fire away if you have any questions or observations.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Gradually nibbling away at your journey when I have time - just about to join you on your run into Kosciusko.
The Kosciusko I have been to is the one that is the highest point in Australia.
Both named after the same fella, Andrzej Tadeusz Bonawentura Kościuszko.

Gradually nibbling away at your journey when I have time - just about to join you on your run into Kosciusko.
The Kosciusko I have been to is the one that is the highest point in Australia.
Both named after the same fella, Andrzej Tadeusz Bonawentura Kościuszko.
Glad to see that you're still following along and taking your time.

And thank you for pointing out the origin of the name Kosciusko!

What a man and what interesting times he lived through!
I knew nothing of him. At all. It's entirely possible that I missed any notable public references to the man but there's aspects of his story that wouldn't sit well in Mississippi ^_^

For anyone interested here's the Wiki article and it's well worth a read. I was enthralled with his adventures in different armies in different countries. And in the middle of a war he still had time to compose music!

A great intervention! Thank you!

FrothNinja

Veteran
Glad to see that you're still following along and taking your time.

And thank you for pointing out the origin of the name Kosciusko!

What a man and what interesting times he lived through!
I knew nothing of him. At all. It's entirely possible that I missed any notable public references to the man but there's aspects of his story that wouldn't sit well in Mississippi ^_^

For anyone interested here's the Wiki article and it's well worth a read. I was enthralled with his adventures in different armies in different countries. And in the middle of a war he still had time to compose music!

A great intervention! Thank you!

My pleasure. When I was little I thought he had also been the first to climb Australia's highest peak. His life story fascinated me as a child, but then so did Garabaldi, Bolivar, Pemulwuy, Temüjin etc

My pleasure. When I was little I thought he had also been the first to climb Australia's highest peak. His life story fascinated me as a child, but then so did Garabaldi, Bolivar, Pemulwuy, Temüjin etc

History is full of interesting, brave characters who popped up all over the world and made a difference.
Who do we have?
Elon feckin' Musk and what'shisname Tate :sad:

There's a (for me) wonderful documentary on the BBC iPlayer on Frida Kahlo which gives glimpses and brings some colour to some of the things I wrote about in CDMX, her Blue House and my beloved Coyocán. Oh. it talks about Frida too!
I can't link it but typing "Frida" in the search box will find it.

The Famous Blue House
IMG_20201220_103804.jpg

Behind the walls.....
IMG_20200924_145238.jpg

Quite possibly the greatest kitchen... ever ^_^
IMG_20200924_141522.jpg

Just wanted to appologise for not reading your whole Travelogue before now, just followed the FB because I was lazy.

So: sorry! And hi, (ex)Bossman!
You're well used to me waffling along ;)
Welcome aboard!

If I ever make it back to T-town you & Red are in for a paddling! :evil:There's only one Bossman and he plays in front of the E Street Band!

And you....
Welcome to CC @SusyQ!
Was @HobbesOnTour your boss then? ^_^
Stop looking for gossip! ^_^

Top Bottom