Cheam and Morden Hilly 50K March 5 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
i should go to bed now if i want to get up in time.. see you at Rykas!

zigzag

Veteran
very nice ride with punchy hills. i set off a bit early with few others kindly chased out by an organiser. same crazy hills inducing rear wheelspin an front wheel lifting in 30" gear, fast descents and lovely quiet countryside scenery. i rode with andy from swrc all of the time, except when he dropped me on a box hill. so came as first loser and after brief chat headed back to the station as i needed to be home at 2-ish. it was good to see familiar faces again and meet some new ones. see you at next rides!

Hutch 75

Yes, was a good ride, weather could have been a bit warmer but some cracking little lanes and testing hills. Shame that it clashed with the finish of another Cycle/running event at the top of the zig zags as the queue to get a warm drink was ridiculous. Still, funny to see a runner puking on the zig zags.

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm just back. Was hard. Rode out with Redjedi, Mistral and Martin and rode back mostly just Luke and me, so 85 miles altogether, but the middle 30 were the tough ones!

Some lovely lanes and not much traffic - a really great route. Got a bit cold at the end, on top of Box Hill so was good to warm up on a brisk main road ride home.

Rimas, we looked for you at the start and thought after your post last night you had slept in and not made it! Should have known better, I guess.
wink.gif
We only made it to the start a few mins before 10.

Saw lots of CC, FNRttC, Audax and YACF people - was good to keep recognising familiar faces every few miles.

Will definitely do it again.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm just back. Another GPS error got me lost near Tadworth. I stopped following the GPS then but I took a wrong turn myself outside Croydon, took a Mitcham turn rather than a Brixton turn and it added a few miles.

Still on the plus side I've got my March century in dry weather.

The Hilly 50 itself was much harder than I expected and I really suffered. Thanks to Luke for waiting for me cos I couldn't trust my GPS whereas his seems to handle the route fine. It was a fun ride though even with the effort involved, now where do I get my e-certificate?

And Luke sorry I didn't wait around for you to fix the p****** but I really wanted to be home by 4. Didn't make it anyway and bathroom has been painted, probably means I'm in trouble!!!

PpPete

Legendary Member
I have to say I enjoyed that, in a perverse kind of way. Managed to stay aboard the Galaxy all the way, courtesy of my insanely low gears. Finished in about 3h05, which I thought wasnt bad considering the pathetically small mileage I've covered this year, and I wasnt really "pushing on" as I wanted to save a bit in the legs for tomorrows "Upper Tea 100"

Nice to meet TimO and Frank again, and a few others from here and from YACF whose names I don't recall.

Followed by a very enjoyable hour and a half in Corridori with Paul Smith, confirming what the next bike will be (when I can afford it). What a fantastic bloke Paul is, so knowledgeable and helpful.

mistral

Guru
Yes I too found this really tough. Must thank Frank and his pal Rolly(?) for being patient with me in the last 10k. My legs were feeling it by then and at the penultimate hill we split so I could take this one and Box Hill at my own pace.

redjedi

Über Member
What a tough day. I can't remember the last time I climbed a hill anything like those and today my legs are still aching.

4400ft of climbing and I'm very pleased I didn't have to walk up any of it.

Don't worry about leaving while I fixed my puncture Martin. I had to change the tube again straight after as it went flat again (although it may not be punctured and it could have been the valve leaking, I was tired and fed up by then), thanks for waiting and the spare tube Frank.

I think your Garmin need fixing or throwing away Martin, it's useless!!

sbird

Über Member
What a tough day. I can't remember the last time I climbed a hill anything like those and today my legs are still aching.

4400ft of climbing and I'm very pleased I didn't have to walk up any of it.

Don't worry about leaving while I fixed my puncture Martin. I had to change the tube again straight after as it went flat again (although it may not be punctured and it could have been the valve leaking, I was tired and fed up by then), thanks for waiting and the spare tube Frank.

I think your Garmin need fixing or throwing away Martin, it's useless!!

I enjoyed this ride - thanks to C&M for organising.

But was it really 4400ft because that's more than the height of Snowdon (3560ft) from sea level? If so then I'm impressed with myself :biggrin:.

redjedi

Über Member
I enjoyed this ride - thanks to C&M for organising.

But was it really 4400ft because that's more than the height of Snowdon (3560ft) from sea level? If so then I'm impressed with myself :biggrin:.

4400ft was actually my entire days riding, which included a 20 mile ride down and back to SW London.

After I edit the file and upload it to Garmin, it says the route was 3329ft of elevation
See it here

But when I put the same file into some training software it says I did 5000ft of climbing for just the main ride, which is also what I get when I put it onto ridewithgps.com
wacko.gif

So I'm not sure which one is correct, and there is quite a difference between the two.

As I had always heard the ride was 3000ft worth of hills I would go with 3329 being the correct one.

Top Bottom