Cheam and Morden Hilly 50K March 5 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TwoTired

As he's devoting himself to the Fridays, the Hilly 50 is under new management. Nothing else has changed except the state of Surrey's roads!

Two to four hours of sheer agony delight featuring two hills from the recently published 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs plus Ranmore, Leith, Holmbury and Pitch Hills and more. You only climb Box Hill once; the 2012 Olympic Road Race it ain't. All for £2 (if registered in advance) or £3 (on the line). For more details see Hilly 50

martint235

Dog on a bike
As he's devoting himself to the Fridays, the Hilly 50 is under new management. Nothing else has changed except the state of Surrey's roads!

Two to four hours of sheer agony delight featuring two hills from the recently published 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs plus Ranmore, Leith, Holmbury and Pitch Hills and more. You only climb Box Hill once; the 2012 Olympic Road Race it ain't. All for £2 (if registered in advance) or £3 (on the line). For more details see Hilly 50

I'm hoping to do this but first I need to sort out a route to get me to the start. Anyone have any advice to offer on the A24 as it seems the most direct route for me.

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm hoping to do this but first I need to sort out a route to get me to the start. Anyone have any advice to offer on the A24 as it seems the most direct route for me.

I'm thinking of doing it too. Can't offer any views on the A24 but I am thinking of coming down via Richmond Park and Leatherhead on the A243

redjedi

Über Member
Not sure I'll be laughing when I get to the bottom of this hill

flyer1.jpg

or at the top for that matter :tongue:

But I'll be trying to make it this year.

I'll probably join you Frank, unless you go into TT mode, in which case I'll leave early and see you as you fly past.

Hutch 75

Not sure I'll be laughing when I get to the bottom of this hill

flyer1.jpg

or at the top for that matter :tongue:

But I'll be trying to make it this year.

I'll probably join you Frank, unless you go into TT mode, in which case I'll leave early and see you as you fly past.

Think thats the hill at Sheephouse Lane, gets interesting for the last 50 odd yards, have struggled with wheelspin there before in the wet !! Really ramps up at the top.

martint235

Dog on a bike
How about Richmond Park?
Luke, I'm sure that works for you, any good, Martin / others?

I can manage Richmond Park, it's just a zip round the south circular.

zigzag

Veteran
last time i took a train from london victoria, which meant i could wake up one hour later. the train was nearly empty, maybe two other people in the same carriage.

Here's my usual route there and back...

http://www.bikely.co...ike-path/167493

Greenbank's route down from Epsom racecourse to Headley Road is a great way to roll up to the start - the last section is stunning. The only thing I would say to anyone heading across south London from the east is to avoid the A217. The A24 is much more pleasant at that point, in fact it's fine until you get to Leatherhead.

Greenbank

Über Member
Greenbank's route down from Epsom racecourse to Headley Road is a great way to roll up to the start - the last section is stunning. The only thing I would say to anyone heading across south London from the east is to avoid the A217. The A24 is much more pleasant at that point, in fact it's fine until you get to Leatherhead.

True, I wouldn't use the A217 going South but if you like a fast blast back to S London then I don't mind going back on the A217 (joining at the B2032) roundabout. I go that way when I come back from any rides down South (i.e. Brighton). Sections of the A217 are busy, but it's a wide road (mostly dual-carriageway) and it's generally downhill so you can average a decent pace to finish off the day. I usually look to cut off onto the B279 and head back up through Raynes Park.

I've also done the A24 the whole way back, busy (but less so than the A217) and quite fast too. I'd also use the A24 going South.

If I can get out on the 5th I'll be there, it all depends if I'm looking after Baby GB or not.

zigzag

Veteran
just registered for this ride. remembering last year it was fun, only need to be careful about those sharp holes and mud on the lanes!

Top Bottom