Cheap light(ish) tents !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
908879938132.png

IMG_8445.JPG

It's a pretty bizzare idea.

Here is quite a lengthly article on it.
http://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com/2008/11/topeak-bikamper.html

I guess at least it partially solves the whole bike security problem.

If you're on a real budget, just go looking for one after a festival.
I have an old Vango that weighs about half as much as my £150 North Face tent that I got for nothing.

I have a Saunders Jetpacker which although I havn't used for several years should only need reproofing and that is only 1.5 Kg.

Same weight as the glert £25 tent mentioned earlier.

I've bought one so when I get around to using it I'll let you know what it's like, although I have very little experience with tents.

Cockney Scot

2 months ago when I 1st thought of going camping with my bike I started to look at tents and was surprised that there were several for under £50. I then joined Cycle chat and sought advice on all aspects relating to equipment etc, and i am glad I did. my bank balance has taken a bit of a hamering but I am hopefull that by following the advice on here I have got the most suitable equipment for the job and havent wasted my hard earned cash. If you are on a budget have a look at the Vango Spectre 200, I have seen it on line for £63.95 and from the feed back I got on here vangos are well respected tents.
here is the link
http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog/VANGO_SPECTRE_200_TENT__2008_.html
Remember you may get something very cheap, but what happens if you are away and it starts lashing with rain. you want a tent which is easy to put up, you can trust will be waterproof and is robust enough to stand up to the good old british wind. Nothing worse than lying awake all night with rain seeping through the tent dripping on your sleeping bag and the tent feeling like it might be blown away.
As has been mentioned by others its better to buy quality at 1st rather than waste your money on something cheap which is not up to the job.

I can see your logic but the vango you mentioned is a 2 person tent that weighs 2.5kg so not very suitible in these circumstances.

In regards to cost. I agree that if this tent falls apart I'll have wasted mmy money although, I'll have only wasted £25 so I consider it worth the risk.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Thanks for the info everyone, looks like I should be able to get a reasonable tent at Ok price,£50- £80 quidish seems Ok for my needs!

coopman

I could flog you a Gelert Solo for 15 quid plus whatever postage you prefer. Used is 3 times. Very light, and good in rain. I decided to go for a Quechua T2 ultralight pro for the extra space. It would come with homemade grounsheet (additional protection to base of tent)and beefier pegs than original bent coat hangers.
The only negative point I have about the tent is it is the lack of headroom, but some folk dont mind that. Full specs can be seen on gelert web site.
Tent is in as new condition.
PM me if interested, if not its getting the old ebay treatment some time!

I see what you mean about limited headspace. The picture below gives a good idea.

P9090099.jpg

This will be my first tent. Upon looking at that pic it looks abit exposed to the ground when the tent is open? Is that normal for a tent? Are insects likely to get in. Only I can imagine it getting abit hot in this weather and I like to lie in so may have to open the tent a tad.

Hey check this one out.
http://www.singersoutdoors.co.uk/pages/backpacking_tents.htm

SINGERS PRICE ONLY: £62.99
MRP : £79.99
Save £17.00 on MRP.
Thanks to its ultra light weight (only 980g) and innovative features, this shelter is ideal for trekkers going on a summer raid. One of the most impressive innovative benefits of this tent is that the tent stuffs into itself thanks to the mesh pocket which is intergrated into the groundsheet,

* Flysheet fabric: Polyester ripstop, siliconised outside, PU coated inside, 3,999mm, taped seams
* Groundsheet: Nylon, PU coated 8000 mm, taped seams
* Poles: Air-Hercules (Scandium Aluminium blend)
* Carry bag: 53 x 20 x 5 cm
* Headroom: 68cm
* Weight: 980g

Pretty light for that price.

pimbanner.JPG

It's more like a two person tent but lighter than a one person how odd.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Riverman said:
Hey check this one out.
http://www.singersoutdoors.co.uk/pages/backpacking_tents.htm

Pretty light for that price.

pimbanner.JPG

It's more like a two person tent but lighter than a one person how odd.

Yopu might have overlooked the fact that it is a single skin with no inner. It is also described as a shelter rather than a tent. I'd not like to wipe up the condensation from inside the flysheet after a cold night out.

willem

Über Member
I think all these ultra cheap tents are to be avoided: they are simply crap. I have camped for decades, and in a variety of sometimes challenging circumstances. I did not alway have that much money, but I have always used top quality tents, and these have each lasted for ages, making them financially very sound propositions. None have ever been blown away or been damaged, and none have ever leaked. The current tent is a ten year old Hilleberg Keron, and that has at least another five years of life in it. The quality, convenience and ultra reliability in pretty extreme weather is simply spectacular.
I am not sure why it is, but the British have a particular tradition, so it seems to this foreigner, for camping in crappy cheapo tents that fail as soon as it starts raining seriously, or when there is some wind. They should know, one would think. Of all the things you could spend gear money on, I think a good tent should be the first priority. You can use a second hand Dawes Galaxy, and if you maintain it well have a fine touring bike for any European condition. Some other gear too does not necessarily need to cost an arm and a leg. Your tent is your real protection against holiday failure. Even in many countries with nice weather, you are likely to encounter one or two nights with blazing winds and torrential rain. In Britain the chance to encounter that is rather higher, I don't need to remind you. For solo camping, and just to give you the most upmarket example, a Hilleberg Akto will cost you about 300 pounds. It is only 1.5 kilo, pretty spacious, and ultra reliable. I would not hesitate to take it anywhere where a bike can go. Not to exposed mountain tops, and not in deep snow, but that is about the only limit for this little wonder. It will give you worry free service for at least ten years of intensive use, and maybe fifteen. The lesson I learned in fourty years of camping is that high quality tents are worth their price in gold, and ultimately thanks to their durability pretty cheap in use.
Willem

Tedx

I did a lot of research when looking for a new lightweight cheapish tent and finally bought this one..

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Tempest_200_Lightweight_Tunnel_Tent.html

It's the Vango Tempest 200 mountain tunnel tent. The reason I opted for this one was

1. Erects outer first. If you get caught out in a rain storm an inner pitch first tent can become very wet inside before you've even started.

2. It is a two man tent. I like to store everyhting exept the bike inside if possible. Plus if somebody wants to come along on a tour I have room for them in my tent.

3. Has a good size vestibule to cook under and shade from the sun.

3. Good head room (for me anyway)

4. Easy to erect.

5. Price - Only £90 for the 2009 version.

Top Bottom