Cheap light(ish) tents !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,
I'm on the look out for a cheap fairly light tent to use for Cycling and trekking, It will only be used in summer and most likely only a couple of times a year hence the fact I don't wish to spend a fortune anyone have any experience with particular tents ?

Many thanks all.

Zweibel

I have the Hilleberg Akto one-man tent. With only 1.5 kg it is ideal for touring, but I guess 260 GBP is more than you want to spend, although I have seen them go for around 200 GBP on eBay (used).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Zweibel said:
I have the Hilleberg Akto one-man tent. With only 1.5 kg it is ideal for touring, but I guess 260 GBP is more than you want to spend, although I have seen them go for around 200 GBP on eBay (used).

I wish I earned enough to regard £200 as cheap :biggrin:

For a cheap and serviceable tent that fits the bill for the original poster:

Pro action one man tent from Argos @ £48 - it's sometimes sold at £24. It gets mostly good reviews and I have had one for five years. It's weatherproof, packs small and is acceptably light at around 2kg. The current one is orange which is not to everone's taste.

There's also the Vango Banshee 200 which offers a bit more space @ £60

Vango Spector 200 - £80 approx (2008 models are selling at £63)

My son is very happy with his Spectre 200.

just jim

I would second the Argos special. It was on offer for £24.99 last month-ish - I couldn't resist. It packs small (has compression straps on the bag) and seems to be of good quality, with clear instructions. I actually bought it ahead of a trip later on this year, so haven't tried it out. From what I've read it's a reliable little number.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
How many people is the tent sleeping?

I am getting one of these bad boys:

http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/gelert-solo-tent-p-1680.html

Edit: already posted above, but this one's cheaper....! :biggrin:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Riverman said:
yeah I saw that earlier too. I'm quite tempted to be honest. Does anyone know what it's like or likely to be like. Seems too cheap lol.

It's great though as I was going to get this.
http://s233299868.e-shop.info/shop/article_TBP003/Topeak-Bikamper-EXP.html

which is much more expensive and around the same weight. I'm about to do an 80mile tour on a budget.

I'd not touch it with a bargepole. Its more expensive version was slated in a mountain bike magazine a for being flimsy and leaky and poor value for money. The chap that was testing it had a miserable time.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Riverman said:
yeah I saw that earlier too. I'm quite tempted to be honest. Does anyone know what it's like or likely to be like. Seems too cheap lol.

It's great though as I was going to get this.
http://s233299868.e-shop.info/shop/article_TBP003/Topeak-Bikamper-EXP.html

which is much more expensive and around the same weight. I'm about to do an 80mile tour on a budget.

With regular (non cycle) camping I seal my tent with fabseal before EVERY trip. This will be my first cycle tour (done plenty on motorbikes, but weight wasn't as much an issue then) so am looking at light weight.

Thing is, I weigh over 15st, so anything I can lose weight-wise on the body can cancel out the effect of the weight of some of the luggage?

this tent is 1.5kg, about 3lbs. I can lose that in a week with a bit of training. So that tent will be no 'extra' weight, at least that's my reckoning.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
vernon said:
I'd not touch it with a bargepole. Its more expensive version was slated in a mountain bike magazine a for being flimsy and leaky and poor value for money. The chap that was testing it had a miserable time.

Which one, the £25'er or the £100+ one?

Yeah and why would you want to take a barge pole with you camping?

I think he means the bikcamper as it's more likely to have been tested by cyclists and has a more expensive version that uses the bike itself as a suport.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Riverman said:
Yeah and why would you want to take a barge pole with you camping?

I think he means the bikcamper as it's more likely to have been tested by cyclists and has a more expensive version that uses the bike itself as a suport.

:rolleyes:

I have no worries with that £25 one, I have slept in a wood on a foam mat under a poncho cape for a week, so a tent on a campsite with an inflatable mattress will be like heaven (if you believe in god)

Top Bottom