Cheap, light, robust, I want all three!!!! What slick/semi-slick tyre 700x35?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Long story short, I found a tyre that I love. Great for commuting with great puncture resistance and long life while not being very expensive or too heavy (IMO). Now they don't make it anymore and the replacement isn't anywhere near as good so I'm looking for a replacement.

Now the long version....

I started with the 32mm Vittoria Randonneur Pro(folding) on my best bike after the OEM Conti tyres were shockingly bad at puncturing (we're talking about a puncture roughly every 100 miles of riding :eek:). These were great and despite internet rumours about having high rolling resistance I found them quick and sharp on my best Sunday bike.

Roll on a few months and the commuter needed tyres so after falling out of love with the declining quality of the OEM Schwalbes I also fitted the Randonneurs to this in 35mm width. A year and around 2-3k later a cracked frame condemned that bike but the 35mm tyres wouldn't fit the replacement so I switched the 32mm & 35mm between bikes and continued to use the part worn commute tyres on my best bike which TBH were even better than the 32s.

Now these are at least 5yrs old and starting to look a bit...... tired :rolleyes: Wouldn't be a problem if it was my commuter bike, would just run them until they wore out or failed, but these are on my BEST bike remember and this does the weekend rides with mates so the risk of being 'the one' that has a bike failure is to be avoided and more importantly, this is the bike where I am likely to be racing down twisty but fast roads at speeds in excess of 50mph so failure at that speed is likely to be a risk.

I'm struggling to find anything suitable as a replacement but hope I am just being blind and you guys will point out a suitable option I am overlooking.

Requirements are;
  • 700x35 (might consider 32mm but really like the 35.
  • Must be slick or semi-slick (see Randonneur image below to get an idea of what I want).
  • Folding, as this saves weight that counters the heavier puncture resistance I require.
  • Max price around £35ea
  • NOT Continentals due to my puncturing experience. Some people may swear by them, I swear at them!
  • Nothing that is going to ride like a dead mule. The Kojak would be an obvious choice but according to that tyre testing site it is by far the draggiest tyre out there?
  • EDIT: MUST be black!
Help me..... The current wired version of the Randonneur feels heavy and doesn't last nearly as long on my commuter so I am discounting that.

Edit2: Image, as pointed out by Vickster.... :rolleyes:
1670054075490.png

Last edited:
Oh. I was going to say Conti Gatorshells in 32mm.

I've had them on my bike for 2 years now and had just one you know what.

And you can get them for £35

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've no experience myself but a chap I know says that Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are very simlar in performance to our favoured but discontinued Vittoria Voyager Hypers, which if memory serves, weren't too dissimilar to your favoured Randonneurs.
SJS have them in stock as a 40c but they may or may not fit your bike. They do list the 32c's for a couple more quid (£40), but those are out of stock. :rolleyes:

I do wish Vittoria would stop screwing us fatter tyre users.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Panaracer gravel King semi slick plus version. The plus version has the improved puncture protection, the non plus will disappoint on that score.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Was out for a hilly 45 mile ride today and remembered just why I love the current Randonneur Pro 35mm tyres for my best bike. Great handling, even on damp Derbyshire and Cheshire roads. Hit a steep bit of cobbled downhill at one point with no worries and of course, silly behaviour like this whenever the opportunity arises..... (Courtesy of @nickyboy )

My tyres NEED to be 35mm but slick for the longer distance quick road rides.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've no experience myself but a chap I know says that Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are very simlar in performance to our favoured but discontinued Vittoria Voyager Hypers, which if memory serves, weren't too dissimilar to your favoured Randonneurs.
SJS have them in stock as a 40c but they may or may not fit your bike. They do list the 32c's for a couple more quid (£40), but those are out of stock. :rolleyes:

I do wish Vittoria would stop screwing us fatter tyre users.
Discontinued. They were my favourite tyre too…

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I too fell out with the Continental and Schwalbe offerings and settled on the Vitoria Randonneur Pro. They have wonderful feel and perceived grip in damp, greasy conditions.

My research for a replacement led to Panaracer Ribmo and Bontrager AW3 Hardcase (light version).

Haven’t used either as I still have a spare pair of Randonneur Pro.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I too fell out with the Continental and Schwalbe offerings and settled on the Vitoria Randonneur Pro. They have wonderful feel and perceived grip in damp, greasy conditions.

My research for a replacement led to Panaracer Ribmo and Bontrager AW3 Hardcase (light version).

Haven’t used either as I still have a spare pair of Randonneur Pro.

Haven't been able to buy the Pro version for a few years now. :sad:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Finally placed an order at SJS for a pair of Schwalbe Kojaks. These seem to fit my requirements apart from the rolling resistance tester giving them a poor score. I don't agree with his testing method anyway as I've used tyres in the past that he claims are horrible energy sappers and I have thought they were lively. Maybe his laboratory style testing doesn't translate well into real world use?

I'll try to remember to update this thread once I have used them for a while.

£58 Inc delivery

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
New tyres arrived while I was out today so as soon as I got home I set about getting them talced and mounted.

Old tyres definitely getting tired....
IMG_20221209_180544369.jpg

IMG_20221209_180527678.jpg

IMG_20221209_180415142.jpg

IMG_20221209_180344221.jpg

So old tyres showing wear indicators, some cuts, some sidewall nicks, some sidewall splits and probably around 6yrs old. While I would happily run these tyres to destruction on the commuter where typical speeds are around 15-25mph I didn't really fancy a failure at 50mph when screaming down a Peak District descent on my 'weekend' bike!

Totally bald, 'Who loves ya baby?'
IMG_20221209_174253905.jpg

Facts and figures....
New tyres are 2mm narrower and 2mm lower height, but more critical maybe is the weight. New tyres fitted and each wheel is approx 45g lighter. Bare in mind this is well worn tyres compared to new tyres with no wear and still has molding flash etc so like for like must be at least 50-55g per tyre. Overall 100g saving in my opinion, not the reason for changing tyres, but I'll take it as a win:okay:

Tyres will need to bed in before I can comment on ride and grip so watch this space for further reports.

Top Bottom