'Cheap' set of Pedals and Shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
Hi guys.

Any suggestions for a nice set up for Road Shoes and pedals?

My LBS has a deal on, FLR F-55 and Shimano M520 SPD pedals for £60 ... I've been reading that MTB's are better if you intend to walk as the're recessed? .. But maybe for Road Riding, road shoes would be better? Anything out there for a full setup for a similar price, or am I better of getting them?

(I have no experience with Clipless yet...)

-Squirrel

MikeW-71

Veteran
MTB or Touring shoes are good if you need to walk at all, the cleat is recessed into the sole. I went for MTB shoes (Shimano M077) and the M520 pedals as I commute and I'm also going to do some light touring, so being able to walk properly is good. If you want Road shoes then you are better with SPD-SL, though they are somewhat awkward to walk in.

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Any different in sizing? I'm a 9 I'm trainers... Recommend getting the 9 in them.. Or just try them and see?

MikeW-71

Veteran
You need to try them on. I went one size bigger than normal as they must not feel cramped in any way. If they are, they will be torture on the bike. Try your normal size first and go from there.

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Also.. Big random... Would you suggest thin trainer socks or slightly thicker sport socks?

lesley_x

Über Member
MTB shoes and spd cleats are infinitely easier to use and walk in. I had a disaster with spd sl, but I'm getting on better with spd. I had to take a full size up in my Louis Garneau shoes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you are serious road racer complete with license, or the worst kind of wannabee or mamil, or some kind of sportivaholic go spd-sl.

for normal non-competitive road cycling go spd with mtb or touring shoes.

M520 is a perfectly good pedal. Don't know FLR shoes but plenty of folk I know get on fine with cheap shoes from aldi/lidl and dhb/wiggle in non-competitive situations

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

Cheers guys.. Going to try pop into the LBS tomorrow and try the on.. Reckon I can buy and install without the other- half noticing? :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Also.. Big random... Would you suggest thin trainer socks or slightly thicker sport socks?
Depends on how cold it is. I wore two pairs of merino socks the other day. If you are planning on riding in winter and that you don't want cramped feet, allow for thicker socks.

If a newbie to SPD, maybe go for the SH-56 multi directional cleats rather than the standard SH51 which come with pedals

I have M520 pedals on the carbon, easy to use being double sided

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Another thing worth considering is making sure the shoes aren't covered in vents as your feet will get cold! I bought som piddle-cheap MTB shoes two years ago and have done thousands of miles in them with MTB spd pedals just fine. I cover the vents with gaffa tape :smile:

It could be worth asking your lbs if they have any used pairs of pedals; I gotten all mine from my lbs spares box for about a tenner a pair.

Spd pedals pop up in the classifies on here all the time.

OP
OP
FeistySquirrel

FeistySquirrel

I'll see how I get on with the cleats that come with the pedals.. I seem to able to pick things up quite fast, so a flick of the foot in only one direction doesn't phase me...
I think the shoes I may be getting do have vents, but I like the gaffa-tape idea..So at least my feet can breathe in the summer! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice everyone :rose:

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans were selling the M520s for £16 with cleats, barely worth buying used at that price. Being cheaper pedals, they don't have the best bearings apparently so could be worn if bought used

Top Bottom