Cheap shopping panniers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs B has a very short commute of about a mile and wants to be able to bring some bits of food shopping home on her bike - cerials, loaf of bread, milk, that kind of stuff; not a 'major' shop, and not huge amounts. I think panniers may be the best solution. I have a spare rear rack doing nothing in the shed.

Can anyone reccommend some cheap double panniers that would do the job? They need to be the quick attach and remove variety, so something that clips to the rack would be ideal.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
These from Wiggle got a good review in Cycling Plus this month

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_Marsden_Rear_Panniers/5360033204/

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Shim - thanks for the suggestion: these were the ones I saw first, but the fastenings don't sound too 'quick release' and she's wanting something that is easy to fix and remove. Am going to try the Wiggle ones I think.

;)

shimano

you're not wrong about the fastenings - not something you want to do every time you get on and off - a tad 'fiddly' might be the expression ;)

sheddy

Legendary Member
The SJS panniers on Ebay don't lend themselves to quick removal be honest and are best left attached to the bike.
You need a proper quick release system. Others will be along soon to advise

Nerazzurri

sheddy said:
The SJS panniers on Ebay don't lend themselves to quick removal be honest and are best left attached to the bike

They're certainly not quick release, but they're not too fiddly either. I remove mine in about 10-13 seconds and fit it in around 15. Not too bad?

On someones advice I cut a bit of ply to fit the bottom so the pannier keeps it's shape - makes things a little easier.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Nerazzurri said:
They're certainly not quick release, but they're not too fiddly either. I remove mine in about 10-13 seconds and fit it in around 15. Not too bad?

On someones advice I cut a bit of ply to fit the bottom so the pannier keeps it's shape - makes things a little easier.

I once cut up an old clipboard for the very same purpose.

Top Bottom