Cheap skiing. I have a First World Problem. Please help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Where are you setting off from slowmo?
London. If I have to get a silly o'clock flight in the morning, Gatwick would be a good place to leave from. I have a bed to stay in nearby.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Eurostar have twice weekly trains direct to Bourg St Maurice from St Pancras. The return fare is currently substantially less than £300 for your dates.
Thank you for the advice. I just booked the direct train from St Pancras to Bourg St Maurice on the way out. On the way back I have to get from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord but I have two hours to stagger about in the metro so it shouldn't be too bad. Strangely enough Eurostar allow you to take skis and two bags on the way out but only skis and one bag on the way back from Paris. Bonkers. There are no restrictions on SNCF from Bourg to Paris. The tickets were not cheap but needs must.

Thank you all for your help. I'm very grateful.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I quite envy you taking the train; a family in our chalet in December arrived by train and they had slept most of the way.

(We came home early as 80% of lifts and runs were closed due to no snow and Gti Junior got ill).

Ganymede

Veteran
Late to this thread as I am actually typing this in Val d'Isere.... I was going to recommend the ski train too, which we take whenever we can make the dates work. Otherwise it's Geneva and a transfer. We live near Ashford International station so the ski train is heaven really.

Insurance: yessity-yes-yes-yes. Although I'm sure you know. We use Ski Club of Gt Britain, it's comprehensive re off-piste etc if you are thus inclined.

Sorry to say that the snow is not good this year though. We have had some fun but even in January it is icy at the bottom and thin and the hors piste is very tracked out. We did ski all the way down to Tignes Le Brevieres on Sunday though, after an overnight fall and the pisteurs are working hard. But by April....

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Thank you for the advice. I just booked the direct train from St Pancras to Bourg St Maurice on the way out. On the way back I have to get from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord but I have two hours to stagger about in the metro so it shouldn't be too bad. Strangely enough Eurostar allow you to take skis and two bags on the way out but only skis and one bag on the way back from Paris. Bonkers. There are no restrictions on SNCF from Bourg to Paris. The tickets were not cheap but needs must.

Thank you all for your help. I'm very grateful.

Train from St Pancras to Bourg St Maurice - day or night? Whichever, the Eurostar seats are not the best for spending long times on them, particularly if you are trying to sleep. Take pillows. If the day train, take several good books. If you can, take food on board too. Reasonable supply on the train, but a meal (with wine/beer) with several courses in throw-away containers will keep you occupied, full, and within budget.
Book the connection from Bourg St Maurice to your resort, and if you are up for it, book a restaurant in Bourg St Maurice before you catch the train back. Its a great luxury.

Train from St Pancras to Bourg St Maurice - day or night? Whichever, the Eurostar seats are not the best for spending long times on them, particularly if you are trying to sleep. Take pillows. If the day train, take several good books. If you can, take food on board too. Reasonable supply on the train, but a meal (with wine/beer) with several courses in throw-away containers will keep you occupied, full, and within budget.
Book the connection from Bourg St Maurice to your resort, and if you are up for it, book a restaurant in Bourg St Maurice before you catch the train back. Its a great luxury.
Take you dog and a bedside table (for your reading lamp) Martin...have a lovely time and imagine you are James Bond: you have the looks after all...it's just the je ne sais quoi that you are in hot pursuit of...:whistle::smile:

Top Bottom