cheap smartphones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Quite a few decent phones to choose from for very little. Biggest drawback tends to be that they get left behind on Android versions very quickly. If you're prepared to either upgrade regularly or aren't bothered with having the latest and greatest OS versions then go for it. (BTW The Moto G's are indeed lovely for the price)
Yeah, the ebay link in the OP is version 4.4. My Moto G (purchased 18 months ago) is up to 5, and apparently I'm going to get 6** as well.

** that sounds less messy than saying I'm going to get Marshmallow on my phone :smile:

Last edited:

andyfraser

Über Member
I'd go for the Moto G too. They have the potential to last 18 months to 2 years rather than just being a cheap temporary replacement.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Moto E, Moto G, or HTC- whatever. Look what's out there price wise, decide which one best suits your need and budget, and get it.

The cheaper Samsungs are, in my experience, bug-ridden pieces of crap.

Can't comment on the cheap Chinese eBay route, but I wouldn't bother due to the malware threat (though the NSA and GCHQ will be looking at you no matter what you get).

Dec66

I hope they really enjoy reading all my posts here and on Twitter and seeing all the boring websites I visit. :smile:
I don't know what they are going to make of me, to be quite honest... I'm half expecting to be assassinated going up Star Hill. Think I'll keep my Strava data to myself

Moto G here too. Earlier one without an SD slot so I paid the extra at the time for the 16Gb version and not (as yet) had any issues of shortage of memory.
I bought that too. I used to keep a 32gb card in my phone. It's cramped for me because I have listen to podcasts, and I have 7 gigs of old podcasts I mean to listen to. That includes 700mb of In Our Time, which I love, but require such attention to follow that I rarely actually get through an episode without losing track. I also use Osmand and keep maps on my phone. I used to just leave them there, but now I keep it to regional maps of the area I'm likely to travel in the near future.

Dec66

thank you all , looks like i will get a moto g, after all the recomendations. :okay:
Good stuff. Mrs. 66 has a Moto G and she has no complaints. Well, apart from the cracked screen, but that was her own fault.

Actually, thinking on, she complains a lot, but that's mainly about things unrelated to phones.

I bought that too. I used to keep a 32gb card in my phone. It's cramped for me because I have listen to podcasts, and I have 7 gigs of old podcasts I mean to listen to. That includes 700mb of In Our Time, which I love, but require such attention to follow that I rarely actually get through an episode without losing track. I also use Osmand and keep maps on my phone. I used to just leave them there, but now I keep it to regional maps of the area I'm likely to travel in the near future.
Wouldn't deny the cards are useful. My daughter has one of EE own brand phones with 8Gb internal and an SDcard, BUT some apps are insistent on being installed on internal memory which is getting to be an issue for her, more than music which will go on the card.
When Moto G eventually gets replaced (no plans for that soon) I'd be looking for 16/32 of internal memory as a minimum.

Top Bottom