Cheapest Energy Suppliers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I know there's nothing you guys don't know, so can you please tell me which are the best websites to find out which are the cheapest energy suppliers in my area. British Gas are starting to mess around a bit with their tariffs and its got me suspicious that they are trying to abuse the loyalty of their gullible long-term customers.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
I recently used [url="http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/landingpages/free-wine-offer/"]uswitch[/url] and got a case of 12 bottles of wine for using them.

There are others too with offers:

Moneysupermarket - £30 cash back
simplyswitch - £35 Amazon or John Lewis vouchers
energyhelpline - £15 cashback

I went for uswitch because of the wine offer (I like wine and it's supposedly worth £50) and I've used them before and have been happy on both occasions.

All of this info and other money saving advice I have got from http://www.moneysavingexpert.com. This website is run by Martin Lewis who is often called in as the money saving expert on the TV news. It's a pretty good website and you can sign up for a weekly money saving email which has some useful information in it.

buddha

Veteran
Use a comparison site to find the cheapest supplier (uswitch, gocompare etc) as prices vary with location.Then sign up with quidco or topcashback.
Look on quidco/topcashback to see how much cashback they offer for the cheapest suppliers in your search. And sign up with the best choice via quidco/topcashback.
I do this almost every year, and usually get around £100 cashback each time (for dual fuel). It takes around 3 months for the cashback to reach my bank account. I'm currrently with Scottish Power.

BTW moneysavingexpert.com is a good place to find out what is cheapest. Sign up to their weekly newsletter.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Thanks all. E-On came out cheapest for my area, but the British Gas Websaver 8 tariff was pretty close, so I decided to stick with British Gas and just switch tariffs.

For best cashback rates search for energy companies on.

http://www.topcashback.co.uk

or

http://www.quidco.com

However if possible use topcashback as quidco has a £5 yearly membership fee deducted from the cashback you earn per year.

Do a search on energyhelpline to firstly find out which is the next cheapest tarrif and provider to switch to then search for that company on the two websites above. I think npower is 50 cashback at the moment per fuel swich and over £100 for a dual.

soulful dog

Veteran
 Not much help now for you now Shaun, but for anyone else considering switching, I spotted this on the MoneySavingExpert forums today and though I've never heard of fatcheese, am seriously tempted by this offer :  Scottish Power £130 cashback

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Old thread revival alert!

I changed from PFP ENERGY yesterday to SCOTTISHPOWER. I was accosted outside a local supermarket by their 'energy adviser'. I normally give a 'thanks,but no thanks' reply to such sellers,but this time i let them 'sell it to me'.:rolleyes:
I've been thinking about changing suppliers, as i pay an estimated bill of £66 a month. This is a lot for a small flat. I can't send a reading to my current suppliers as i can't reach/see the badly placed under the kitchen sink meter. I asked them to send someone to read it every now and then but they said they don't offer that service. Scottish Power said they'll fit me a smart meter which reads it for me. Is this true?🤔 Anyway,they said i'll be paying £44 a month till they can work out how much energy i use. I reckon i use around £35 to £40.

vickster

Legendary Member
Old thread revival alert!

I changed from PFP ENERGY yesterday to SCOTTISHPOWER. I was accosted outside a local supermarket by their 'energy adviser'. I normally give a 'thanks,but no thanks' reply to such sellers,but this time i let them 'sell it to me'.:rolleyes:
I've been thinking about changing suppliers, as i pay an estimated bill of £66 a month. This is a lot for a small flat. I can't send a reading to my current suppliers as i can't reach/see the badly placed under the kitchen sink meter. I asked them to send someone to read it every now and then but they said they don't offer that service. Scottish Power said they'll fit me a smart meter which reads it for me. Is this true?🤔 Anyway,they said i'll be paying £44 a month till they can work out how much energy i use. I reckon i use around £35 to £40.
You will need to provide a meter reading to your existing supplier.

Smart meters do that, but they aren't perfect. Plenty of reading can be done (you want a latest gen one)
Does your HA definitely not mind you fitting a new meter to one of their properties...perhaps check!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

How the feck am I supposed to see/read this?!! 😒

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You will need to provide a meter reading to your existing supplier.

Smart meters do that, but they aren't perfect. Plenty of reading can be done (you want a latest gen one)
Does your HA definitely not mind you fitting a new meter to one of their properties...perhaps check!
I'll have to ask someone to read the current meter for me. As for the HA,i don't know their policy on meter being fitted. I asked them to send someone round to read my current meter last year,but they refused so...

Top Bottom