Cheapest way to get a 26inch wheel for 10speed cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaa

Bought a beat-up Giant XtC 3 mtb , for £30 in fleabay auction today, Needs a complete overhaul but I'm up for it,
http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/xtc-3-2012
however... the previous guy has swapped the rear wheel to some junk one,probably used the good one for something else.
there's one huge problem- It has got a 7 speed cassette , but it's a 10 speed bike, so the chain falls off when you go over the limit on the cassette...

The most I have done on a bike has been swapping tyres or adjusting brakes/gears, changing to a new wheel with all the other components is a new thing for me.

So at the moment I have some crap wheel + 7speed cassette.
What's the cheapest/most economical way to get a wheel with 10 speed cassette for a 26inch mtb that has Deore parts + has DISC brakes?
I suppose I can't re-use the old wheel in any way as the freehub for cassette is too narrow to support a 10speed cassette?
I'm kinda on a budget and don't really need any fancy wheel- Just something that works.

In the worst case scenario is there a way to limit the bike in any way so it uses the old crap wheel but runs on 7 speeds instead of 10 , but the chain doesn't drops?
what would you do?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
eBay - there'll be a number of wheels on there that'd fit.

Top Bottom