Cheapest way to measure cadence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Counting in my head isn't an option; it would disturb the monkey with his cymbal...

I use Endomondo and Strava on my phone but would rather have something on my handlebars that I can check. I use a Holux Gpsport 245 but there's no cadence option.

Any ideas?

Sent from my FondleSlab using Tapatalk HD

Cateye Strada Cadence, I've had of these for years, works great. About 35 squid from your LBS or favourite web store.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Cheapest way to measure cadence - in your head. Just work it out in your head. Have a speedometer, write out the gear tables or simply the mental arithmetic.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I got the cat eye double wireless strada with cadence in white a month ago. Haven't used it yet, probably too early in my 'development'...

Wish I hadn't got it, it was £57 at lbs, I might consider offers for it, still have box etc.

(apologies if I've broke a rule posting this??)

MrB1obby

I got the cat eye double wireless strada with cadence in white a month ago. Haven't used it yet, probably too early in my 'development'...

Wish I hadn't got it, it was £57 at lbs, I might consider offers for it, still have box etc.

(apologies if I've broke a rule posting this??)

Not particularly interested but I see you really are struggling to live with it, I'll take it off your hands for 6 shillings :crazy:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Why do you need cadence, i would have thought you would find a speed your comfortable with and stick with that, everyone must be differant and spin at differant speeds.

How long have you had your holux? Mine went wrong about a month ago, and it was ten months old. They very quickly were more than happy to replace it under warranty - but I asked if I could be cheeky, pay the difference and upgrade to the 260 Pro Plus Cadence, and they were more than happy for me to do that.

I can't fault them, it was quite the personal touch as they got me to keep some bits, like the mounts etc and send back what was needed, and then sent back the upgrade.

Whilst mine went wrong, it's definitely worth dropping them an email to see if they'd let you do it with a functional one anyway!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Why do you need cadence, i would have thought you would find a speed your comfortable with and stick with that, everyone must be differant and spin at differant speeds.
I used to grind a big gear at a very low cadence and to go faster id push the pedals like i was doing leg presses at the gym, it kinda worked but forced me out of the saddle a lot on inclines, i noticed that using a couple of gears lighter was just the same speed but less stressful. I got one of the cadence computers because im a stats geek with exercise and noticed my cadence was in the 50s a lot of the time so tried to keep it higher, its been a pretty big increase but now i happily sit around 77rpm and when i want to go fast i push my cadence up to about 90-95.

Ive not changed my cadence to fit an internet guide or anything, ive just used it to give higher cadence a go and found that its much nicer and far less stressful on my legs and probably my bike :smile:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I used to grind a big gear at a very low cadence and to go faster id push the pedals like i was doing leg presses at the gym, it kinda worked but forced me out of the saddle a lot on inclines, i noticed that using a couple of gears lighter was just the same speed but less stressful. I got one of the cadence computers because im a stats geek with exercise and noticed my cadence was in the 50s a lot of the time so tried to keep it higher, its been a pretty big increase but now i happily sit around 77rpm and when i want to go fast i push my cadence up to about 90-95.

Ive not changed my cadence to fit an internet guide or anything, ive just used it to give higher cadence a go and found that its much nicer and far less stressful on my legs and probably my bike :smile:

This is the exact reason I want to at least have a look at cadence, I'm a bugger for just pushing really hard and it's a sin that's hurting my hips.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
How long have you had your holux? Mine went wrong about a month ago, and it was ten months old. They very quickly were more than happy to replace it under warranty - but I asked if I could be cheeky, pay the difference and upgrade to the 260 Pro Plus Cadence, and they were more than happy for me to do that.

I can't fault them, it was quite the personal touch as they got me to keep some bits, like the mounts etc and send back what was needed, and then sent back the upgrade.

Whilst mine went wrong, it's definitely worth dropping them an email to see if they'd let you do it with a functional one anyway!

I've had my Holux well over a year, and despite the fact it has switched itself off a few times it has been brilliant. I'd happily stay with Holux though, I found the uk distributor very helpful on the phone.

subaqua

What’s the point
I had a cheapy one for a while - but like FF ICBA now.
I think Tesco do a wired one with cadence ATM
they do indeed have a wired computer with cadence and a computer that has wireless for speed and is wired for cadence. both around the tenner mark. I have 2 one on road bike one on MTB cadence not important on MTB so that got cut off but the one on the road bike is still going strong (18 months)

Top Bottom