Cheapest way to measure cadence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ushills

Veteran
cyclestore do a specialized one for £15 http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=14292

That's the one I recommend everytime bargain and not much better out there unless going for GPS. Reliable, wired plus temp for those slippy mornings.

ACW

buy a cheap speedo from tescos and if you set the wheel size to the right value it reads rpm, there was a thread with the numbers on it last year i think

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
That's the one I recommend everytime bargain and not much better out there unless going for GPS. Reliable, wired plus temp for those slippy mornings.
Thanks, rather glad i saw your link when I was looking for a computer :smile:

I struggled a bit with fitting because my chainstays curve weirdly where it should be mounted, but got it all tidy in the end :smile:

It still bugs me that backlights arent standard in the more expensive ones, which makes computers next to useless all winter and even the cheapy one i got from Lidl had one.

Mike!

Guru
I too have a Holux (GP Sport 260) without cadence but now find myself hankering after cadence so I can improve my techinque and check I'm not grinding gears. Can't afford to upgrade it before my holiday in August though. Currently thinking is the Garmin Edge 500 but not the cheapest option of course

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This is the exact reason I want to at least have a look at cadence, I'm a bugger for just pushing really hard and it's a sin that's hurting my hips.
Sit on an exercise bike with a cadence function in a gym. Get used to the feel of 60rpm, 75rpm, 90rpm and 105rpm on your legs. Translate that feel out onto the road.

Alternatively, if you just want to get a faster cadence, consciously change down a gear or two and make sure you don't slow down.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The cheapest way is to set a stop watch, cycle for 1 minute and count the number of pedal revs in your head. Or if a minute is too long count for 30 seconds and double your answer, or count for 15 secs and quadruple it. etc.

Why do you need cadence, i would have thought you would find a speed your comfortable with and stick with that, everyone must be differant and spin at differant speeds.

The truth is, you don't. As you say, everyone is different, and comfortable at different cadences - there is no rule. The only time you would ever need to monitor your cadence is for some specific training purpose, but I can't think of any others offhand...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Sit on an exercise bike with a cadence function in a gym. Get used to the feel of 60rpm, 75rpm, 90rpm and 105rpm on your legs. Translate that feel out onto the road.

Alternatively, if you just want to get a faster cadence, consciously change down a gear or two and make sure you don't slow down.
It's just occurred to me that my local Decathlon usually has a couple of display bikes on turbo trainers. The challenge would be getting out of the shop without buying anything.

Top Bottom