Check your cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Probably just me being stupid, but I thought I'd mention it. Check your cleats for wear. Mine are only a few months old, not massive use, but on attacking a hill today, my foot pulled out when I was at max power.

I went down really heavily at around 25 mph, luckily not too much damage to me or the bike, but I was amazed, whilst it was happening I was thinking, oh sh1t, this ain't gonna end well, and I was convinced the bike was a wreck, I remember seeing it sail over my head, with me still clipped in on one side (don't ask how that worked, well maybe not over my head), and smashing to the ground.

Amazingly it seems pretty unscathed, but will get the LBS to give it a once over.

Anyway, check your cleats for wear, particularly the front bit which wears ridiculously quickly as soon as you walk in them!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Probably just me being stupid, but I thought I'd mention it. Check your cleats for wear. Mine are only a few months old, not massive use, but on attacking a hill today, my foot pulled out when I was at max power.

I went down really heavily at around 25 mph, luckily not too much damage to me or the bike, but I was amazed, whilst it was happening I was thinking, oh sh1t, this ain't gonna end well, and I was convinced the bike was a wreck, I remember seeing it sail over my head, with me still clipped in on one side (don't ask how that worked, well maybe not over my head), and smashing to the ground.

Amazingly it seems pretty unscathed, but will get the LBS to give it a once over.

Anyway, check your cleats for wear, particularly the front bit which wears ridiculously quickly as soon as you walk in them!
Are you using SPD-SL cleats? I use SPD cleats, and have no trouble walking in them, and because they're in a recess in the shoe, they don't get worn when I walk in the shoes.

Get some of these

IMG_5018.JPG

Your cleats will last longer, and they make it easier to walk in them as well.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No - that is a Shimano SPD-SL cover. I find covers a PITA. I use SPDs in the winter on a shoe with a recess, and Keos in the summer - must be Keo GRIPs though - and they appear to be made of chese - soft cheese at that. I have Keo covers but have probably only used them once or twice since I bought them. They may protect the cleat, but they are a faff to put on and they add height and make walking even more awkward.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

My friend has a similar story, except he ended up under a lorry. He was fine though. I use SPDs so there is no danger of them becoming worn.

No - that is a Shimano SPD-SL cover. I find covers a PITA. I use SPDs in the winter on a shoe with a recess, and Keos in the summer - must be Keo GRIPs though - and they appear to be made of chese - soft cheese at that. I have Keo covers but have probably only used them once or twice since I bought them. They may protect the cleat, but they are a faff to put on and they add height and make walking even more awkward.
I've not found any of that to happen personally. I use them all the time, they last ages, and I don't have any issues walking in them.

U

User6179

What pedals do you have? Shimano do the light action ones that you can unclip very easily, not a good idea imo.
upload_2017-7-20_10-32-33.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
What pedals do you have? Shimano do the light action ones that you can unclip very easily, not a good idea imo.
View attachment 363128
I have look Keo. I've never experienced pulling out before, and to be fair it was my fault. I was being a tight git. I knew that the front of the left cleat was worn, but since it was less than 6 months old, was reluctant to replace it.

False economy bigtime! Could have cost me a new bike and broken bones! Still annoyed that Keo cleats wear so easily though. I use cleat covers whenever possible now!

Top Bottom