Check your cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Glad you are mainly ok and thanks for the tip.

I have to say I hate SPD-SL and use SPD everywhere. The ability to walk is great and I'm just a recreational rider. I've used SPD-SL and I noticed the pedaling seemed stronger but for my purposes, I need to be able to walk.

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Get some of these

View attachment 363120

Your cleats will last longer, and they make it easier to walk in them as well.

I do have them actually (the Keo ones), sadly I didn't start using them again till after the damage was already done on my new cleats. They seemed to wear incredibly quickly this time, my previous ones lasted me a couple of years.

Thinking of trying Speedplay now, since I have a spare set of Speedplay light pedals and cleats, and been thinking that Speedplay would be better for my dodgy knees. Now concerned that the light version might not work for me, though presumably the Light version is only easier to unclip, and shouldn't be any more susceptible to unclipping under load.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You might like to think about your riding style.

I've pulled my foot out loads of times over the years (comparatively expensive cleats worn further than ideal, mostly) and never even come close to coming off, apart from the time the pedal axle snapped, sprinting into a roundabout out of the saddle, on fixed. That did generate a large amount of wobble, but no fall.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Also check the bolts are tight. Not unknown for the cleats to remain attached in the pedal, but to twist on the shoe, keeping your foot firmly attached to the bike.
That happened to me the first time I used SPD cleats. I was approaching a red traffic light and after several unsuccessful attempts to unclip my left foot, realised what was happening. I decided to unclip my right foot to stop myself falling, but instinct kicked in and I still tried to get my left foot to the floor first which just brought me to the floor, with my bike on top of me.

I have SPD-SL on one bile and SPD on another. I have never had a problem with SPD-SL but prefer the SPD version, simply because you can walk easily with them.

J1888

Über Member
OP - you were using Look cleats right? From what I've read, they are known to have a short lifespan. Anecdotally of course, but SPD-SL have served me well, used every day for maybe 2 years and changed cleats once. Your advice stands of course, regardless of what system people are using - glad you're in one piece

fatjel

Veteran
I had the opposite happen on the trike, the cleat wouldn't release..
At the time I had a broken collar bone and had stopped for a much needed comfort break
Was a bad month Feb 2016

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
OP - you were using Look cleats right? From what I've read, they are known to have a short lifespan. Anecdotally of course, but SPD-SL have served me well, used every day for maybe 2 years and changed cleats once. Your advice stands of course, regardless of what system people are using - glad you're in one piece
A mate keeps telling me to switch to spd SL. Maybe I'll try. In the meatime I have new cleats on their way from Wiggle.

Top Bottom