Check your hand pumps!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just did. The bike was on the turbo upstairs and the rear tyre was a bit under pressure,so rather than traipse to the garage and get the floor pump I decided to use my hand pump on the side of the bike.

So I pushed it on and began pumping but it didn't seem to be inflating and there was a fair bit of resistance so I adjusted my pushing hand to get a better grip and at that moment the end of the pump slipped out my hand, shot across the room, ricocheted off the book shelf and smacked the dog in the rump.

Startled from his slumber he came off his cushion like a greyhound out of the blocks, sending the cushion into the bin, spilling the contents on the floor and as he exited the room he knocked over the picture frames standing against the shelf which fell on the door, closing it rapidly and catching his tail as he span out still gathering pace.

As the dust settled I reflected on the fact that it could have been worse, I might have done the same thing on a ride, except the damn thing might have gone through an open car window, blinding the driver and sending him into an oncoming coach filled with kids on the way to the zoo or something.

I am currently perusing the threads on pumps. The Lezyne Pressure Drive looks good.

young Ed

Veteran
I just did. The bike was on the turbo upstairs and the rear tyre was a bit under pressure,so rather than traipse to the garage and get the floor pump I decided to use my hand pump on the side of the bike.

So I pushed it on and began pumping but it didn't seem to be inflating and there was a fair bit of resistance so I adjusted my pushing hand to get a better grip and at that moment the end of the pump slipped out my hand, shot across the room, ricocheted off the book shelf and smacked the dog in the rump.

Startled from his slumber he came off his cushion like a greyhound out of the blocks, sending the cushion into the bin, spilling the contents on the floor and as he exited the room he knocked over the picture frames standing against the shelf which fell on the door, closing it rapidly and catching his tail as he span out still gathering pace.

As the dust settled I reflected on the fact that it could have been worse, I might have done the same thing on a ride, except the damn thing might have gone through an open car window, blinding the driver and sending him into an oncoming coach filled with kids on the way to the zoo or something.

I am currently perusing the threads on pumps. The Lezyne Pressure Drive looks good.
sh*t!
glad the bike, yourself and the dog are almost ok :biggrin:
not heard of that one happen yet :tongue:

do you mean the lezyne pump threads on as in screws securely on
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
C

Crackle

sh*t!
glad the bike, yourself and the dog are almost ok :biggrin:
not heard of that one happen yet :tongue:

do you mean the lezyne pump threads on as in screws securely on
Cheers Ed
Hah! no. Threads on here about pumps but it does as well, thread on the valve, that is.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

:laugh: Similar thing happened to my Aldi floor pump. Pressed, did nothing, pressed harder, did nothing, pressure very hard and the top shot off making a dent in the ceiling, ricocheting off a wardrobe and then smacking me on the back of the head. Meanwhile, my tyre was 20psi lower than when I started.
I forgot about that. Yes the tyre ended up flat because the pump head stayed on when the barrel went for it's excursion and therefore let all the air out.

stu9000

Unfortunately I've had several occasions to use my pump this winter. Hoping the gator skins will improve the ratio.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Used mine a bit as well, due to pinch flats on my Electra. I realized that with crank forward bikes there is more (of my considerable) weight over the back wheel, and these wheels were narrow 26" rims. I switched to some wider( box rims instead of vee) rims I had around and all was set. Haven't needed the pump again since.

young Ed

Veteran
i run 700X38c :ohmy: on mine and hardly ever get a puncture maybe 1 or possibly 2 per year :biggrin:
also i was fitting tyre and tube to brand new wheel yesterday and did it all with out tools! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
C

Crackle

New pump arrived today

2014-03-27%252011.50.39.jpg

Lezyne pressure drive: Seems a good pump. I tested it out and the dog gave a bit of a twitch in his sleep but that was it, so it's passed pooch02, let's see how it survives on the side of the bike.

Top Bottom