Checks for buying second hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snapper88

I'm currently looking at buying a specialized hardrock sport on gumtree & have been given these
SKU: 9101-6717
S/N: WUD092290370E

How do I go about checking the bike is not stolen?

AndyRM

XOXO
You could try putting the S/N in here - https://stolen.bikeindex.org/

vickster

Legendary Member
Doesn't come up as stolen. I would ask the seller for a copy of the sale invoice assuming it's not a really old bike (and even then). You can match the details against his name, address, bike details etc

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Doesn't come up as stolen. I would ask the seller for a copy of the sale invoice assuming it's not a really old bike (and even then). You can match the details against his name, address, bike details etc
And what if he didn't buy it new? Or he's moved house? There's only so much you can do save giving him a polygraph test.

vickster

Legendary Member
I said ask, not get the thumb screws out! The OP asked how to check it's not stolen, that's one way to check...even if he's moved house, he's unlikely to have changed his name if he bought the bike ;)

And what if he didn't buy it new? Or he's moved house?
Trust your instincts I suppose. If it seems to be good to be true it probably is.

If the price is OK, in other words not stupidly cheap compared to similar bikes for sale, and you meet the seller at their home, and you get a good feeling from them then go for it.

I've bought loads of used bikes over the years and have never seen the original sales receipt, yet I'm completely confident I've never bought a nicked one either.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The reason that he may not have wanted to meet you at a home address is that he didnt want you breaking into his shed to steal his bike and only replying once a day is not unusual.

Did you ask if you could meet at his place of work?

Steve

mossj88

Bikeindex isn't widely used in the UK, I'm developing CheckThatBike.co.uk to collect stolen frame numbers from as many places as possible (insurers, manufacturers, property registers, police) but it shouldn't be the end of the story..

Going beyond frame numbers, this checklist is pretty handy. A work email address and/or ID is proberbly the best way to ensure it's legit (a thief/fence is unlikely to give you either).

Last edited:
Top Bottom