Cheese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
tdr1nka said:
*imagines TheDoctor returning again and again to the samples in different disguises, until sated.* :biggrin:

It was when he resorted to a dress, but forgot to remove the previous comedy moustache, that he was rumbled...

Simon, I'm not sure the home grown cheese market is that bad - Cheshire is certainly still with us, I have a block in the fridge at this very moment. And I don't know where you grew up that you couldn't get red Leicester. As long as I can remember, even the most basic supermarket range of cheeses included Red Leicester, Cheddar, Cheshire and Double Gloucester...

I think I general favour Britich cheese over 'foreign' sorts, although I do like them as well. But them I'm very much a snacker on cheese, and so I favour the sorts you can cut a chunk off and hold in your hand to eat - which is more tricky with Brie, but oh so easy (far too easy!:biggrin:) with traditional British hard cheeses...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Arch said:
It was when he resorted to a dress, but forgot to remove the previous comedy moustache, that he was rumbled...

Simon, I'm not sure the home grown cheese market is that bad - Cheshire is certainly still with us, I have a block in the fridge at this very moment. And I don't know where you grew up that you couldn't get red Leicester. As long as I can remember, even the most basic supermarket range of cheeses included Red Leicester, Cheddar, Cheshire and Double Gloucester...

I think I general favour Britich cheese over 'foreign' sorts, although I do like them as well. But them I'm very much a snacker on cheese, and so I favour the sorts you can cut a chunk off and hold in your hand to eat - which is more tricky with Brie, but oh so easy (far too easy!:biggrin:) with traditional British hard cheeses...

I think part of the problem is that we're not proud or proprietorial enough when it comes to regional cheeses. Unlike most distinctive European produce, there seem to be practically no regulations on what one can and can't label as Cheddar, for example. Squirt in a bit of orange colouring and call it Double Gloucester, and no one seems to care. The Italians wouldn't put up with this sort of thing. I have had Cheddar that is as good as Parmesan, but Parmiggiano Reggiano is always superb (even if you buy it from Lidl), because no one is allowed to debase or adulterate it whilst retaining the name...

U

User482

theclaud said:
I think part of the problem is that we're not proud or proprietorial enough when it comes to regional cheeses. Unlike most distinctive European produce, there seem to be practically no regulations on what one can and can't label as Cheddar, for example. Squirt in a bit of orange colouring and call it Double Gloucester, and no one seems to care. The Italians wouldn't put up with this sort of thing. I have had Cheddar that is as good as Parmesan, but Parmiggiano Reggiano is always superb (even if you buy it from Lidl), because no one is allowed to debase or adulterate it whilst retaining the name...

I often find that people's supposed dislike for Lancashire cheese is due to never having tried the decent stuff...

And of course it's not just cheese - look at the abominations that manufacturers (I wouldn't call them food producers) dare to label as "Cornish Pasty" or "Eccles cake".

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Wolf04 said:
That would be the very place :-) Yo Sushi.

Yo Sushi is a crime against sushi. If any one wants to pay massively over the top prices for a frankly awful excuse for Japanese food, then be my guest but it stinks out the food hall. How they can manage to get a sushi place to smell like a chip shop, I am not quite sure, but Yo Sushi manage it... :wacko:

Wolf04

:wacko:
Flying_Monkey said:
Yo Sushi is a crime against sushi. If any one wants to pay massively over the top prices for a frankly awful excuse for Japanese food, then be my guest but it stinks out the food hall. How they can manage to get a sushi place to smell like a chip shop, I am not quite sure, but Yo Sushi manage it... :rolleyes:

Never tried it. But agree the strong smell of stale fish in Fenwicks now is a telling damnation! xx( I thought sushi was raw fish! The mind boggles. :smile:

Smeggers

Right after giving this thread some serious though, I'm ready to publically 'come out' with my 5 top cheeses.....

Danish Blue (red wine, crackers = heaven)
Cheshire (proper local stuff of course, with branston and a scotch)
Mature Cheddar (the nutty one from the man off the market near here)
Camembert (Coeur de Lion not Le Presidente)
Stilton (from Leicestershire obviously).

OP
OP
simon l& and a half

simon l& and a half

Smeggers said:
Right after giving this thread some serious though, I'm ready to publically 'come out' with my 5 top cheeses.....

Danish Blue (red wine, crackers = heaven)
Cheshire (proper local stuff of course, with branston and a scotch)
Mature Cheddar (the nutty one from the man off the market near here)
Camembert (Coeur de Lion not Le Presidente)
Stilton (from Leicestershire obviously).

that's my boy!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom