Cheese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nothing to do with the above post (for which I apologise most sincerely for - I feel bloody ill just seeing it for a millisecond!) but this one has a splendid name! And it isn't gut-wrenching! xx(

http://www.amazon.com/La-Tienda-CS-18-Drunken-Cheese/dp/B000BTF91U

pjm

1. Bleu d'auvergne (a cheaper (cow's milk) alternative to roquefort)
2. stilton
3. shropshire blue
4. epoisses (can't believe no votes for that so far!)
5. valencay

Of course 3 blue cheeses would make for a rather unbalanced cheesboard, so i'd have to be careful picking my favourite cheeses to serve to guests.

U

User482

Of course no discussion about cheese is complete without considering an appropriate alcoholic accompaniment. Now, the usual tipple is Port, but I've come to the conclusion (after rigorous research) that a medium to sweet white wine actually goes better. A Gewurtztraminer would be my first choice, or perhaps a Sauternes if something sweeter is desired.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The accompaniment depends entirely on the particular cheese. Some cheeses need something much rougher. Blue cheeses can go wonderfully with good ciders or perries for example.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Dayvo said:
That is a very tasty cheese! Particularly excellent with golden syrup! Honestly!!!

:biggrin: Don't tell me - you melt it on top of porridge as well?

I am rather a fan of the Stinking Bishop, and am now encouraged to give this Livarot a go. Where do I get it, User482 - will any good cheesemonger oblige?

Talking of Perry, I didn't rate it very highly until now, but have just spent a week drinking a very splendid dry sparkling one in the sunshine. And I can confirm that it goes very well with a range of cheeses, pork pie, sausages, wild mushroom omelettes, and even roast beetroot. It does nothing, however, for one's ability to cycle fast uphill...

U

User482

Flying_Monkey said:
The accompaniment depends entirely on the particular cheese. Some cheeses need something much rougher. Blue cheeses can go wonderfully with good ciders or perries for example.

Personally, I think the best drink for blue cheese is a peaty single malt.

U

User482

theclaud said:
:biggrin: Don't tell me - you melt it on top of porridge as well?

I am rather a fan of the Stinking Bishop, and am now encouraged to give this Livarot a go. Where do I get it, User482 - will any good cheesemonger oblige?

Talking of Perry, I didn't rate it very highly until now, but have just spent a week drinking a very splendid dry sparkling one in the sunshine. And I can confirm that it goes very well with a range of cheeses, pork pie, sausages, wild mushroom omelettes, and even roast beetroot. It does nothing, however, for one's ability to cycle fast uphill...

I haven't seen it very often in the UK - only at Borough Market, or at visiting French food markets. A good cheesemonger may order it in though. If you happen to be near Bristol this weekend, the Harbour Festival will have a French food market - almost certain to have Livarot.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
User482 said:
I haven't seen it very often in the UK - only at Borough Market, or at visiting French food markets. A good cheesemonger may order it in though. If you happen to be near Bristol this weekend, the Harbour Festival will have a French food market - almost certain to have Livarot.

Not likely to be in Bristol, but I'm in London often enough to find it at Borough Market before too long. It's a pricey outlet though, and I'm still waiting for SimonCC's donation to land in my bank account - I can't think what the delay might be! Borough Market, incidentally, is where I discovered Comte - there's a nice man with huge wheels of it stacked up in a big tower, frantically cutting off big wodges with a wire in an attempt to keep the eager punters happy...

U

User482

theclaud said:
Not likely to be in Bristol, but I'm in London often enough to find it at Borough Market before too long. It's a pricey outlet though, and I'm still waiting for SimonCC's donation to land in my bank account - I can't think what the delay might be! Borough Market, incidentally, is where I discovered Comte - there's a nice man with huge wheels of it stacked up in a big tower, frantically cutting off big wodges with a wire in an attempt to keep the eager punters happy...

I'm on holiday in France this September - I'll be sure to check out the Comte.

Top Bottom