Cheese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
User482 said:
I'm on holiday in France this September - I'll be sure to check out the Comte.

It's like a particularly sensational gruyere. It also has an acute accent on the e, but I'm a doofus with my keyboard. You might be too early for the Vacherin, which is a winter cheese, but grab that too if you see it...

radger

Veteran
theclaud said:
Not likely to be in Bristol, but I'm in London often enough to find it at Borough Market before too long. It's a pricey outlet though, and I'm still waiting for SimonCC's donation to land in my bank account - I can't think what the delay might be! Borough Market, incidentally, is where I discovered Comte - there's a nice man with huge wheels of it stacked up in a big tower, frantically cutting off big wodges with a wire in an attempt to keep the eager punters happy...

There is a fairly cheap French cheese stall at Borough Market; or there was until about a year ago when I moved away. It's only there on the Saturday though, opposite the Comté stall, and the Caerphilly Cheese lot.*
And if you're going to Borough Market, you might as well go the whole hog and spend fifty quid in Neal's Yard while you're there, and pop into the Italian deli opposite the Globe pub for some mozzarella.
Spot the person who misses their weekly shop at Borough Market

* NB Information may well be out of date, but they didn't move for 3 years, so I don't see why they would have now. And you may well already know all this.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I heard somewhere that cheese and wine parties work because a bit of cheese in the mouth makes any wine, no matter how cheap and nasty, taste acceptable or nice.
It works too, I've tried it.

OP
OP
simon l& and a half

simon l& and a half

I started this with a thought. Would anybody mention a particular cheese?

When I was a kid there were really two types of cheese. Cheddar and Cheshire. None of that Red Leicester stuff, and Danish Blue clearly hadn't been invented. Cheddar is still with us, and gets a few mentions, but Cheshire seems to have gone - and, although Arch mentioned Wensleydale and a couple of other English cheeses, the exotic home grown stuff is now the norm rather than the exception, and the most popular cheeses of all are from Italy and France.

Is this a sad thing? I think it is. But, then again, I just bought a Brompton because it's made here rather than the far east. Doh....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh God, where to start...
Cheddar
Caerphilly
Reblechon
Red Leicester
Applewood smoked cheddar
Stilton
Gruyere
Garlic soft ones - Boursin, Roule and such
Cottage cheese with pineapple.

Wolf04

This forum is bad for ones health. I nipped out at lunchtime to my favourite department store to buy a sandwich. While there thought I'd pick up some Timothy Taylor's Landlord (Beer thread). While I was there I visited their excellent cheese counter (this thread) and spotted an old favourite Le Explorateur a stunning soft French cheese. Also bought some Saint Agur and some vintage cheddar. I then decided that beer might not be the perfect partner for the selection so ended up in their wine shop buying an Australian Margaret River Shiraz.
Off to the gym before work in the morning. Thank goodness it's pay day tomorrow that was an expensive sandwich.

wafflycat

Wolf04 said:
This forum is bad for ones health. I nipped out at lunchtime to my favourite department store to buy a sandwich. While there thought I'd pick up some Timothy Taylor's Landlord (Beer thread). While I was there I visited their excellent cheese counter (this thread) and spotted an old favourite Le Explorateur a stunning soft French cheese. Also bought some Saint Agur and some vintage cheddar. I then decided that beer might not be the perfect partner for the selection so ended up in their wine shop buying an Australian Margaret River Shiraz.
Off to the gym before work in the morning. Thank goodness it's pay day tomorrow that was an expensive sandwich.

When I was young, free, single & working in The Toon, I used to visit Fenwick's Food Hall to sample the range of delights.. different cheeses, meats, salads... YUM

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
One of my local supermarkets had The Mother Of All Freebies going on recently. Cheese, olives, cake, strawberries, all free for the sampling. Sadly they'd run out of free champagne. Still, that was lunch pretty much sorted. :angry:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
TheDoctor said:
One of my local supermarkets had The Mother Of All Freebies going on recently. Cheese, olives, cake, strawberries, all free for the sampling. Sadly they'd run out of free champagne. Still, that was lunch pretty much sorted. :angry:

*imagines TheDoctor returning again and again to the samples in different disguises, until sated.* :angry:

Wolf04

wafflycat said:
When I was young, free, single & working in The Toon, I used to visit Fenwick's Food Hall to sample the range of delights.. different cheeses, meats, salads... YUM

That would be the very place :-) Bit different now as they introduced a Yo Sushi and a Pret Manger (or whatever it's called) but all the good bits of the foodhall were left intact.

Top Bottom