Cheshire cat - getting close!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I really enjoyed it! My mate broke her seat post :-( and one punture over a pot hole but all part of riding. Bike repairs in the sun is hardly too unpleasant!

My girlfriend was taking pictures and says most people gave her a friendly wave. She's just starting out doing event photography at www.sportspicture.co.uk

My only negative point was the littering. I don't understand how people out enjoying the countryside are willing to ruin it for others by littering with food wrappers.

SUN SUN SUN!!
Was she the lady at the last feed station with her elbow bandaged and a big piece of skin missing from her knee? Because i spoke to someone there who had her post break causing the said injuries.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Cracking day, somewhat spoiled for me by a couple of things....

a) Not being on the bike for the 4 weeks prior to the event really told on my ride fitness.
b) A boil on my arse the size of a small country.
c) Potholes. Everywhere. Really noticable when you take point b into account.
d) The pre-ride sniffles have now developed into a full on hacking cough and asthma.

Other than that it was a great day out. Eventually managed the medium route in 6:17; with frequent stops on most of the hills.
Agree with the potholes. I lost one of my bottles on one of the descents it just bounced out! Ah you were quicker than me i did 7.24 with about an hour lost for punctures and stops.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I was VERY pleased to not only finish the 48 miler but to do so in a respectable time of 3:24 (3:40 with stops). Happy with that for my first sportive.

Plan to build the distances up to 65 by June then start doing some longer and with real hills in. I fancy the Overnighter Bristol to Exmouth if I'm ready by August.
That's a great effort Mick considering it's your first and also biggest distance? Well done!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Agree with the potholes. I lost one of my bottles on one of the descents it just bounced out! Ah you were quicker than me i did 7.24 with about an hour lost for punctures and stops.

Worse holes were around Wincle - I test rode that section event before I rode 2 years ago an it was terrible - I warned alot of riders to be careful. I guess it's got worse. One guy turned up on "Lightweights" - I turned to a few others and questioned his sanity using those wheels on the bad roads

YahudaMoon

Über Member
One thing I did notice - so many cyclists going in the opposite direction.
We were on the Chirk 200 audax of what crossed the Cheshire Cat. I think we had the same problem last year. Cyclist on the wrong side of the road again :sad: In our direction

Link
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chirk-200-in-the-morning.98536/#post-1782202
I think this might be the year when cycling really takes off.

So long as they don't take off doing audax I'll be happy :sad:

This........
I used to see the same thing on the Manchester 100 every year. At least on that event you ended up well spread out, but the first time I did the Manchester-Blackpool was also my last - it was 60-odd miles of madness. Riders crashing into each other all over the place, hardcore RLJing (20 or 30 cyclists at a time darting out into small gaps between cars going in both directions), riding on the wrong side of the road, riders suddenly stopping or starting without signalling or even a look over the shoulder. No thanks! :wacko:

This :sad:
My only negative point was the littering. I don't understand how people out enjoying the countryside are willing to ruin it for others by littering with food wrappers.

Its events like this that give cyclist a bad name :sad:

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Anyone who rode the event might enjoy watching the little movie I put together. Recorded in HD on a GoPro hero2 mounted to my helmet, I looked a right eejut, but some of the footage is great.

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/03/cheshire-cat-2012-the-movie-unofficial/

I remember seeing you in the carpark with the camera on your lid. I wonderd if the footage would end up on the t`internet... and it did! You can juse see me in the background, behind the silver fiesta with the boot open.

deadhead1971

Thanks guys for your kind words, and really glad you liked my little movie.
To my mind, there's no point doing something like this unless you share it on the web!

Top Bottom