Cheshire cat - getting close!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
One thing I did notice - so many cyclists going in the opposite direction.

I think this might be the year when cycling really takes off.

billy1561

BB wrecker
One thing I did notice - so many cyclists going in the opposite direction.

I think this might be the year when cycling really takes off.
Yeah I noticed lots of cyclists going the opposite way also.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I got there about 8.45am and looked for other CC'ers. No-one I could tell from and they started me just after 9am with the front Blue group.

Overall it went well; did all the hills including getting up Mow Cop fine. However, I lost a water bottle and started to cramp up at the end. Well organised but the road behaviour of some riders was appalling.

Me, I was just enjoying the day - saying thanks to anyone clapping or encouraging (and high-fiving a little boy who everyone else ignored his attempt to get high-fives ^_^ )

No real groups to tag onto, although I picked up a couple about halfway through. Mow Cop was madness; about 30 riders in the group I was in and I took it really slowly from the level crossing, as did the rider alongside me from the Peak District. The rest flew off, hit the main part of the hill and just stopped dead. There were people getting off and fallers all over the road, meaning I had to weave through the chaos. Made it up OK with a big smile ^_^ .

What I found was that a lot of people (pink and green riders) were happy for me to be at the front, drafting me, but weren't willing to put any effort in.

In the last 3 miles I cramped up a bit (dehydration?) so slowed and came back in their time of 5:06:43 (mine had it at 4:57), plus a Mow Cop medal.

Would I do it again? Yes, but this time I'd not be overdressed. Went in shorts/leg warmers plus a winter base layer and l/s blue top. Needed to have s/s top/base layer plus arm warmers.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well organised but the road behaviour of some riders was appalling.
From the people we saw there were some very dubious riding to say the least!
I used to see the same thing on the Manchester 100 every year. At least on that event you ended up well spread out, but the first time I did the Manchester-Blackpool was also my last - it was 60-odd miles of madness. Riders crashing into each other all over the place, hardcore RLJing (20 or 30 cyclists at a time darting out into small gaps between cars going in both directions), riding on the wrong side of the road, riders suddenly stopping or starting without signalling or even a look over the shoulder. No thanks! :wacko:

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Thinking back, the thing I disliked most was if I was slower, I would go to the left BUT the chap behind would then sit with his front wheel just to the right of my rear, leaving me no room if I were to spot a pothole at short notice. In fact on one occasion I did ask them to move as I had seen a pothole in time, they looked a little shocked. I think I may have used excessive volume.

philip holland

I really enjoyed it! My mate broke her seat post :-( and one punture over a pot hole but all part of riding. Bike repairs in the sun is hardly too unpleasant!

My girlfriend was taking pictures and says most people gave her a friendly wave. She's just starting out doing event photography at www.sportspicture.co.uk

My only negative point was the littering. I don't understand how people out enjoying the countryside are willing to ruin it for others by littering with food wrappers.

SUN SUN SUN!!

RhythMick

Über Member
I was VERY pleased to not only finish the 48 miler but to do so in a respectable time of 3:24 (3:40 with stops). Happy with that for my first sportive.

Plan to build the distances up to 65 by June then start doing some longer and with real hills in. I fancy the Overnighter Bristol to Exmouth if I'm ready by August.

RhythMick

Über Member
I really enjoyed it! My mate broke her seat post :-( and one punture over a pot hole but all part of riding. Bike repairs in the sun is hardly too unpleasant!

My girlfriend was taking pictures and says most people gave her a friendly wave. She's just starting out doing event photography at www.sportspicture.co.uk

My only negative point was the littering. I don't understand how people out enjoying the countryside are willing to ruin it for others by littering with food wrappers.

SUN SUN SUN!!
Totally agree. Those energy gels get left everywhere. I made my own in a reusable suckable squidgy container made for the purpose and that worked well.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Waved/smiled at as many as I could. And the picture as a result is a gurn #7521 :surrender:

Most of my wrappers I kept and disposed of at the end. But I'm guilty of two things; I lost a water bottle somewhere and a wrapper blew out of my tri bag down a hill. :banghead:

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Totally agree. Those energy gels get left everywhere. I made my own in a reusable suckable squidgy container made for the purpose and that worked well.
Sounds interesting. i put my gel wrappers in my tri bag to be put in a bin later. what is this reuseabe squidgy containrr hou mention?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Cracking day, somewhat spoiled for me by a couple of things....

a) Not being on the bike for the 4 weeks prior to the event really told on my ride fitness.
b) A boil on my arse the size of a small country.
c) Potholes. Everywhere. Really noticable when you take point b into account.
d) The pre-ride sniffles have now developed into a full on hacking cough and asthma.

Other than that it was a great day out. Eventually managed the medium route in 6:17; with frequent stops on most of the hills.

Top Bottom